Oceania visit to Harvest Caye 'Belize'

p598738

There truly are many cruisers that have no interest in the islands, history, or culture. Just look at the ports of call section and see how popular questions about beaches and resorts are. These folks just want to lay in the sun, get in the water and have an island drink.

Look at how many of these private islands the cruise lines have developed.

I think you are correct. It is that demand that is driving the supply. And so travel2cat's boycott will not add to that demand and, if enough do not book such cruses, these "islands" developments may improve. Better would be if we could get off the island so that both the local tour operators can get business and the local employment can be used on the island. Best would have been if these were handled better in the first place but it is here now.

Even though on a Caribbean cruise, personally I do not enjoy laying in the sun though I would like an island (or other) drink. I am more interest in history and culture but seems like we "cannot get there from here". So I'll simply take it as a beach stop. A day on the beach is nice too. Especially at this time of year coming from the country up north.

Not leaving the ship gives a message to Oceania. As mentioned in my previous post, it is my hope that Oceania will find another port stop in Belize (which would help the people of Belize).

Does anyone know where you would be dropped off if you were able to take your own ferry? If it is near/in Belize City, it would not be a place that many passengers would want to visit. Much of Belize is beautiful but Belize City is an exception.

True, a boat load of pax lounging around the pool make them think.

Harvest Caye is hours away from Belize City so highly doubtful any ferry will be going there :rolleyes: Placencia would be a likely

"mainland" landing spot from HC (just a guess). We will be there soon and will take copious notes for those who need to know more. Having done a land trip to Belize, we look as this stop as a day to chill and enjoy some sun. If not to our liking, we'll wander back to Marina and enjoy her charms.

• 7 months later...
Can anyone conribue knowledge as to whether there is a ferry that leaves Harvest Caye for the mainland....interesting to me is that no one at NCL could give me a definitive answer.

If so, how much is it, and does it run regularly.

As I remember the only transportation to the mainland is for the Caye employees. That's it.

• 2 weeks later...

We are taking an Oceania cruise over the holidays and we will be stopping in Harvest Caye, Belize. All shore excursions are sold out on Oceania. I have therefore been checking online for tours to the mainland. I found a very interesting tour to a Mayan community. Shore Excursioneer offers this tour. They claim to pick up guests from cruise ships. From what I have been reading, it sounds like tour companies can not pick up people from Harvest Caye. Is this correct and has anyone taken a tour from Shore Excursioneer? Thank you in advance for your reply...

They claim to pick up guests from cruise ships. From what I have been reading, it sounds like tour companies can not pick up people from Harvest Caye. Is this correct and has anyone taken a tour from Shore Excursioneer? Thank you in advance for your reply...

Yes, they would pick up customers from the cruise ship tenders in Belize but not from Harvest Caye. As per previous posters the ferry is for HC employees and vendors. There has long been speculation that one day they might offer the ferry for a fee but I have not read of that happening. If Shore Excursioneer tell you that they can pick you up at HC then that would be news a lot of folks would be interested in.

Think of it as a nice resort beach day somewhere in the Caribbean rather than a port stop in Belize.

Thank you. for your prompt reply... I guess we will spend a day just enjoying the ambiance of the area. I have read on Cruise Critic that you can (for free) enjoy kayaking and even a zip line along with a nice outdoor pool. It's too bad that we will be so close to the authentic Belize & yet not be able to see it...

We are taking an Oceania cruise over the holidays and we will be stopping in Harvest Caye, Belize. All shore excursions are sold out on Oceania. .

I would call O & see if there is a waitlist you can go on for the tour

Sometimes if possible they will add extra tours or some people may cancel before the day of the tour & you could be on the list to take their places

We are taking an O cruise in February from Miami to Lima Peru (a leg of a larger cruise). As an avid diver I have been setting up dive/snorkel excursions through private shops in several of the ports. When O changed the stop in Belize from Belize City to Harvest Caye I started doing research on how/where to dive/snorkel around there. Finding out that there is no diving ("diving" = both scuba and snorkeling) off HC I learned that the reason for that is that NCLH totally ruined marine life on the reef as they built the access to it. It will take MANY years for life to return in abundance worthy of a dive.

I next looked into dive shops on the main land close enough to visit from HC. Placentia is a city that has lots of divers stay and enjoy the beautiful reefs off shore. The problem HAD been that there was no ferry taking ship passengers from HC to Placentia. In essence NCLH had a 'captured' audience. As has been stated on this thread, Belizeans who found that their economy was being devastated by the switch of tourists from Belize City (and the other parts of the mainland) to HC protested and the government changed the rules and there are now ferries to travel to and from HC to Placentia. It is a limited capacity and has four trips to the mainland and five returning to HC (8, 9, 10 & 11AM from HC to mainland and 10:30, 11:30, 12:30 1:30 & 2:30 back to HC). There is a lot of confusion as to how many passengers are permitted to go to the mainland and the possibility of a restriction on the amount of time you are allowed to stay on the mainland. I have heard the limit is 3 hours.

Adding to the woes, it now is reported that the ferries have killed quite a few sea creatures, especially manatees.

Like many, I am reluctant to set up a dive trip with so much uncertainty and negatives.

There are those who enjoy going to - as one blogger put it - a Disney-esk island but I'm not one and am very disappointed that NCLH has and is doing so much damage to the ecological environment and the local economy and has restricted us in enjoying the many treasures of the country.

Thanks for the update that there is a ferry now. If the ferries are killing manatees then the operator needs to be brought to task. I would not take it if that is a possibility.

A small correction. You are writing about Placencia.

Placentia is a town in Newfoundland and Labrador; they also are very welcoming though their winter weather is a little different

Thanks for the update that there is a ferry now. If the ferries are killing manatees then the operator needs to be brought to task. I would not take it if that is a possibility.

A small correction. You are writing about Placencia.

Placentia is a town in Newfoundland and Labrador; they also are very welcoming though their winter weather is a little different

:D after a glass of wine I can't really tell the difference.