Double Cruise, Land Tour, Cross Country Train Trip

Floridapenny

In May, I will be embarking on a bucket list trip to Alaska. From Florida, I will be taking Amtrak trains to Vancouver, then the Star Princess to Whittier. I then plan to take the Alaska Railroad to Fairbanks and pick up a Princess (on your own) tour. After stops in Denali, I will be taking the Island Princess back to Vancouver. From there, pretty much the same Amtrak route back to Florida.

My last cruise was in 1973, a Carribean cruise on the Nordic Prince. I suffered a bit of seasickness during that trip. I am not sure if I should be concerned now.

I am also concerned about trying to do too much. I am a seasoned train traveler and have traveled across the US many times. However, I am a novice cruiser and may need advice.

I travel very light since I take my roller bag on the train with me. I hope black slacks and black tops are sufficient in the dining rooms on the ships because I will not have a lot of room to pack.

I practice yoga regularly and was disappointed to read that Princess charges for yoga. I am curious whether the yoga classes are worth $15 a class.

I was also disappointed to read that Princess charges for bottled water. I hope I read that wrong.

Thank you for any advice or comments for someone who is a bit overwhelmed. :eek:

I hope you are planning to arrive a day or two ahead of time on your Amtrak trip. I'd hate to have you miss your cruise because Amtrak was late (again!).

Black slacks and black tops will be fine in the dining room. I'm assuming that you can dress them up for the Gala nights.

Yes, Princess charges for bottled water, but the ship's water is as good or purer than the bottled water.

I can't comment on the yoga.

I hope you are planning to arrive a day or two ahead of time on your Amtrak trip. I'd hate to have you miss your cruise because Amtrak was late (again!).

Thanks. I think I will have enough cushion. I am arriving in Seattle on Thursday, spending Thursday night in Seattle, then taking a morning train on Friday to Vancouver. I will spend Friday night in Vancouver and begin the first cruise on Saturday afternoon. I figure if the train is moderately late, I could skip Seattle. If there are avalanches or major flooding involving major delays or cancellations, then I am out of luck since I do not fly.

I missed a trip in each of October 2015 and 2016 due to flooding in the Carolinas resulting in Florida trains being canceled.

Thanks. I think I will have enough cushion. I am arriving in Seattle on Thursday, spending Thursday night in Seattle, then taking a morning train on Friday to Vancouver. I will spend Friday night in Vancouver and begin the first cruise on Saturday afternoon. I figure if the train is moderately late, I could skip Seattle. If there are avalanches or major flooding involving major delays or cancellations, then I am out of luck since I do not fly.

I missed a trip in each of October 2015 and 2016 due to flooding in the Carolinas resulting in Florida trains being canceled.

There is regular coach service between Seattle-Vancouver as well.

I was also disappointed to read that Princess charges for bottled water. I hope I read that wrong.

Thank you for any advice or comments for someone who is a bit overwhelmed. :eek:

If you are avoiding tap water, you can pre-order online bottled water at $6.90 for 12 (500 ml) bottles. It will be in your cabin on embarkation day.

Alaska Railroad between Anchorage and Fairbanks was one of our favorite train trips. Canadian Rockies was also very impressive. I hope you are on the upgraded Alaska RailRoad that includes narration. We had our only clear glimpse of Mt. McKinley from the train.

You should be okay with the motion aboard ship. Usually very smooth, but Alaska cruise can occasionally hit some rough patches.

Sorry - I don't know anything about yoga classes.

Enjoy!

Alaska Railroad between Anchorage and Fairbanks was one of our favorite train trips. Canadian Rockies was also very impressive. I hope you are on the upgraded Alaska RailRoad that includes narration. We had our only clear glimpse of Mt. McKinley from the train.

Enjoy!

Thanks. I did upgrade to the Goldstar Service on Alaska Railroad.

You have quite an adventure planned! I think you allowed a nice cushion, and I recommend getting trip insurance in case you have an emergency enroute that would prevent you from reaching the cruise in time. Modern big ships are so much better for stability, and the inside passage is usually glass calm with the exception of the last sea day northbound and the first sea day southbound. Even then, it's only for a short time. You'll be in great hands with Princess throughout Alaska. Have a great adventure!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Glad you got the Gold Star upgrade. One guide rides with you from Anchorage. The train stops in the middle to swap guides with a southbound train. The train ride takes all day. We arrived into Fairbanks late in the evening. It was still light out (didn't get dark until after 2 AM).