Handicap Cabin for Non Handicapped

TERRIER1

I'm full time disabled since the age of two after a bout with polio. I worked on the original ADA bill, back in the day when it was known as PL-94-192. There are a number of items that need clarification. First, the SCOTUS in the suit known as Specter v NCL that cruise ships sailing into or out of US ports, must provide access to disabled persons regardless of their flag of registration. There are a lot of little ins and outs to this decision, but it basically says that no matter where a ship is registered, they have to make every effort to make their ships accessible.

Second, the US Justice Department ruled in 2011 that cruise lines can ask why a person needs an accessible cabin, but they cannot ask what their disability is. They can ask if the person needs a mobility device, oxygen, modified devices in the cabin, etc. When I've booked accessible cabins on Celebrity, Seabourn, Regent, Silversea, RCI, Carnival and other lines, I had to fill out a form stating why I needed the accessible cabin.

As a disabled person, I really dislike when a non disabled person books an accessible cabin without need, UNLESS it's past final payment. I don't care if it's the last cabin in the category you want, it's just not right, and shame on Oceania for allowing it. You have no idea how many cruises I've been unable to take because the accessible cabins are booked, many times by people who don't need them. And I know for an absolute fact that cruise lines do not put an asterisk next to a booking when an able bodied person books an accessible cabin. Once a cabin is booked, it's gone, out of inventory. I've called Oceania to ask if all their accessible cabins were booked by disabled persons, and I've always been told that they have no idea who booked those cabins, and I was out of luck. It's been the same for other cruise lines.

I've called Oceania to ask if all their accessible cabins were booked by disabled persons, and I've always been told that they have no idea who booked those cabins, and I was out of luck. It's been the same for other cruise lines.

That was the point of my previous Post.

Governments legislate that accessible cabins must be built, but the "me first" attitude which, lets face it, also brings us recurrences of Noro Virus through poor hygiene and or illness denial, holds them hostage..

Putting the selfish down for their boorish actions is misconstrued as elitism.

Rude people are rude. Period. Money doesn't buy manners. Also, I try to remember that not all handicaps are visible. I have spinal stenosis. Some days I use a cane and some days not. Accessible cabins, particularly with a shower bench, are helpful to me but I don't always ask for a handicap cabin as I like to think there are others who need it more than I do.

As a disabled person, I really dislike when a non disabled person books an accessible cabin without need, UNLESS it's past final payment. I don't care if it's the last cabin in the category you want, it's just not right, and shame on Oceania for allowing it.

As this thread has progressed, I've been thinking about the issue more and more. This morning, I realized that there may be a possible solution that's well within the wheelhouse of routine cruise line behavior. Does anyone know if Oceania treats the HC category of cabins the same as any other category which is overbooked? We know, either personally or from reading this board, that Oceania routinely starts making offers to cruisers holding reservations needed to deal with existing overbooking/guarantees. Is this done for HC accessible cabins? And, if not, why not? If someone has booked a HC cabin because it is more spacious, but doesn't actually need the accessibility features, it seems to me they'd be more than willing to accept a PH substitute if one were available.

We know, either personally or from reading this board, that Oceania routinely starts making offers to cruisers holding reservations needed to deal with existing overbooking/guarantees. Is this done for HC accessible cabins? And, if not, why not? If someone has booked a HC cabin because it is more spacious, but doesn't actually need the accessibility features, it seems to me they'd be more than willing to accept a PH substitute if one were available.

I do not know how they work but would that be a game to play for those unscrupulous people

Book a H/C so you may get an upgrade to a PH :eek:

It would be much better if people wanting a H/C cabin to apply in writing as why they require one

JMO

I do not know how they work but would that be a game to play for those unscrupulous people

Book a H/C so you may get an upgrade to a PH :eek:

It would be much better if people wanting a H/C cabin to apply in writing as why they require one JMO

We're already talking about unscrupulous people! At present, they're unscrupulous because they book the HC cabin for the square footage not the accessibility features. Does it seriously matter if they're unscrupulous one way or a different way? ;)

I believe others have said there are legal limits to how much/what a cruise line can ask a person requesting a HC cabin.

We're already talking about unscrupulous people! At present, they're unscrupulous because they book the HC cabin for the square footage not the accessibility features. Does it seriously matter if they're unscrupulous one way or a different way? ;)

I believe others have said there are legal limits to how much/what a cruise line can ask a person requesting a HC cabin.

so why reward bad behaviour

so why reward bad behaviour

Their bad behavior is already being rewarded with unchecked access to a HC cabin for which they have no legitimate need. At least with this system, there's way to potential way free up a HC cabin for someone who legitimately needs it. As I read the existing thread, Oceania seems to be throwing up its hands and say saying, "There's nothing we can do about who books our HC cabins."

As this thread has progressed, I've been thinking about the issue more and more. This morning, I realized that there may be a possible solution that's well within the wheelhouse of routine cruise line behavior. Does anyone know if Oceania treats the HC category of cabins the same as any other category which is overbooked? We know, either personally or from reading this board, that Oceania routinely starts making offers to cruisers holding reservations needed to deal with existing overbooking/guarantees. Is this done for HC accessible cabins? And, if not, why not? If someone has booked a HC cabin because it is more spacious, but doesn't actually need the accessibility features, it seems to me they'd be more than willing to accept a PH substitute if one were available.

We did not book because the cabin is more spacious but because of the cost and we did not need a balcony. We are down as non-handicapped and will move if the cabin is needed. Oceania said they would contact us if the cabin is needed. My TA said that if she has needs for her clients than she contacts the cruise line and they contact those holding the cabins. As most past Oceania clients know, if you want a specific cabin you need to book as soon as the cruise opens up. Unfortunately we were late due to other issues so this is the cabin that was available.

We did not book because the cabin is more spacious but because of the cost and we did not need a balcony. We are down as non-handicapped and will move if the cabin is needed. Oceania said they would contact us if the cabin is needed.

My comments were not directed at you. What I'm trying to reconcile is the information Oceania told you and others' insistence that Oceania will not take steps to make sure cruisers who need an HD cabin have first priority for those cabins. (See Post #10)

For anyone who is interested, here's what Royal Caribbean has to say on the topic of eligibility for a HC cabin:

"Accessible staterooms are held for people with disabilities until all other non-accessible staterooms in that category are reserved. Upon reserving an accessible stateroom, we require our guests acknowledge the need for the accessible stateroom by completing a Guest Special Needs Form.

If a guest is booked in an accessible stateroom and they do not have a mobility disability or other disability that requires the use of the features that are provided in the accessible stateroom, they may be moved at any time to another non-accessible stateroom in order to accommodate a guest with a disability.

Please note we investigate and take action on potential misuse of accessible staterooms where there is good cause to believe that such staterooms have been booked fraudulently."

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/allaboutcruising/accessibleseas/accessibleStaterooms.do

My comments were not directed at you. What I'm trying to reconcile is the information Oceania told you and others' insistence that Oceania will not take steps to make sure cruisers who need an HD cabin have first priority for those cabins. (See Post #10)

For anyone who is interested, here's what Royal Caribbean has to say on the topic of eligibility for a HC cabin:

"Accessible staterooms are held for people with disabilities until all other non-accessible staterooms in that category are reserved. Upon reserving an accessible stateroom, we require our guests acknowledge the need for the accessible stateroom by completing a Guest Special Needs Form.

If a guest is booked in an accessible stateroom and they do not have a mobility disability or other disability that requires the use of the features that are provided in the accessible stateroom, they may be moved at any time to another non-accessible stateroom in order to accommodate a guest with a disability.

Please note we investigate and take action on potential misuse of accessible staterooms where there is good cause to believe that such staterooms have been booked fraudulently."

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/allaboutcruising/accessibleseas/accessibleStaterooms.do

Thanks for the clarification. This makes perfect sense. Unfortunately Oceania doesn't seem to have a written policy. I looked. My TA said that she has had handicapped people require the cabin and contacted Oceania. Oceania moved the people in the accessible cabin and the cabin was given to her handicapped clients. I can only assume that there will be times that all the handicapped cabins (there are only 6) will be occupied by disabled cruisers and then nothing can be done for freeing up a cabin.

calling everyone who books HC cabin "not the accessibility features" as unscrupulous seems far-reaching to me. There can be other reasons such as it is the only cabin left available in that category. I don't consider booking that as unscrupulous. It would be if the intention was to attempt to get a free upgrade but that is not always the case. I think you're being harsh.

How much bigger are they? I have never seen one but have been told that they are built differently, ie The sinks are lower and the furniture is lower to give more access to a wheelchair, etc. Not what we would want. Bigger? So what. If I don't need it then I don't want it.

On Insignia the entry door is wider, the living area has more open space so that a wheelchair can spin around without hitting anything. There is no extra storage space or furniture. The washroom is much larger. There is a tub with a higher side than normal. The open space in the washroom has a drain in it so that if needed someone can use the shower cord and have their shower in the open space. Other than a couple grab bars there is nothing else special in the washroom.

As the GM explained to us, they are considered accessible cabins, not handicap cabins meaning they are accessible for wheelchairs but do not offer any special features for various handicaps other than the grab bars in the washroom.

calling everyone who books HC cabin "not the accessibility features" as unscrupulous seems far-reaching to me. There can be other reasons such as it is the only cabin left available in that category. I don't consider booking that as unscrupulous. It would be if the intention was to attempt to get a free upgrade but that is not always the case. I think you're being harsh.

Suggest you take a second look at posts 13, 14, 19, 27, and 28. The folks described in those posts are booking the HC cabin for the wrong reasons: me-first and game the system to get a larger cabin. No one is discussing folks who are placed in a handicapped cabin with full disclosure that they don't qualify and are prepared to surrender it, if asked.

How much bigger are they? I have never seen one but have been told that they are built differently, ie The sinks are lower and the furniture is lower to give more access to a wheelchair, etc. Not what we would want. Bigger? So what. If I don't need it then I don't want it.

A accessible cabin is generally 50% larger than a regular cabin in the same category. Part of the added square footage goes to the bathroom. Someone who is a full time wheelchair user needs to be able to move around the cabin and bathroom without any obstacles. They have to be able to completely turn around, etc. The bathroom features are especially important. There's no step to get into the bathroom itself, no step for the shower (the shower is built on a slope so someone in a wheelchair can literally roll directly into the shower onto the seat and transfer). Lower sink, etc.

Same with the balcony - there's no threshold so that someone in a wheelchair can roll onto the balcony without any obstacles.

Based on what I've read in this thread (thanks) I've contacted my TA to see if she can find out about the accessible balcony cabins that are all sold out on the cruise we're looking at (Marina August 13th from London to Copenhagen). We can manage in a regular cabin only because there is a stall shower in addition to a tub. If it was a tub only, we would never be able to do a non-accessible cabin.

• 1 month later...

When we booked our cabin for a cruise sailing this year there were no cabins in the category we wanted except for an accessible cabin. I was told at the time by the Oceania booking agent that should a disabled person need an accessible cabin we would be asked to move. I have no problem with this at all and would be most happy to take another cabin. Incidentally, our agent has been seeking a non-accessible cabin for us (in the same category) since we booked but, so far, to no avail.

Part of the problem Oceania has is on the small ships the accessible cabins are all in the lowest price category. There are only 3 accessible cabins and 3 non accessible in that category. In order to move someone out of the accessible cabins 1 of the 3 non accessible would have to be open (they sell quickly) or the person moving would get a free upgrade.