Multiple Device Chargers

Jinglesbella

What ship is that on?

Any balcony cabin where the right corner of the desk is against the curtain. Have seen this on Coral, Island, Caribbean. The buttons are on the right side of the phone at the same height as the power outlet. If the phone buttons are close to the outlet, watch out! Have also pushed the steward call button while plugging in cords. Not as bad a problem if the left side of the phone is against the outlet.

By the way, a useful gadget is a phone emergency charger battery. The Satechi one comes with about 10 adapters for various devices and you can avoid carrying a lot of different chargers. We use the battery to power the Nuvi GPS on the balcony (dry bagged and strapped to the table).

I use a multi-port charger for all of my doo-dads. My favorite is this one made by Anker:

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Charger-PowerPort-Multi-Port-Samsung/dp/B00VH8ZW02/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1489083051&sr=8-8&keywords=anker+charger

Mine has 2 lightning cables, 2 micro-USB cables and an Apple Watch cable plugged in - it's your choice which cables you want to use. It's much smaller and lighter than carrying a power strip.

A couple of hints if you go this route. First use short cables to help eliminate cord tangles. I use one foot long cables. Second, get a charger which does not plug directly into the outlet. Mine uses a cord which allows more flexibility for placing it in a hotel room or ship's cabin. Also, make sure the charger is multi-voltage. This one handles 100-240V AC input, so it can be used worldwide with the appropriate plug adapter.

I have an outlet question! From reading here it seems like there is a shortage of outlets? We are in a full suite on the Coral. My husband has a CPAP machine. Are there outlets near the side of the bed? I also usually keep my phone plugged in at night beside the bed.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

For charging USB based devices I would recommend a multi port USB charger. Here is a link to one that I consider decent quality.

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-4-Port-Charger-PowerPort-iPhone/dp/B00VH8G1SY/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1489087944&sr=8-6&keywords=anker+chargers

Multi port chargers, such as the ones that Anker (and many others) makes are all based on 2-prong outlets. They do not provide any surge suppression, therefore they are "ship safe". These devices do internal voltage regulation, which isn't surge suppression, for the purposes of not over-volting the device that is being charged. For those that carry cell phones and tablets, a 4-port unit will allow you to use one electrical outlet to charge all 4 devices, assuming a tablet and phone per couple. This reduces the amount of gear you need to pack for your cruise and should reduce your need for free outlets in your cabin.

I've provided a link to an Anker device I really like. I also like devices from Belkin. Just about any major name brand accessory maker will sell a product that is high quality and safe for any device that charges on USB.

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-4-Port-Charger-PowerPort-iPhone/dp/B00VH8G1SY/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1489087944&sr=8-6&keywords=anker+chargers

Multi port chargers, such as the ones that Anker (and many others) makes are all based on 2-prong outlets. They do not provide any surge suppression, therefore they are "ship safe". These devices do internal voltage regulation, which isn't surge suppression, for the purposes of not over-volting the device that is being charged. .

That device clearly has "surge protection" in the description.

Product Description

Color:White | Product Packaging:Standard Packaging

Anker PowerPort 4

40W 4-port USB charging hub for phones, tablets & more

From ANKER, America's Leading USB Charging Brand

- Faster and safer charging with our advanced technology

- 10 million+ happy users and counting

Media's Choice

Recommended by the Wall Street Journal, which remarked that "PowerPort 4 was a godsend."

Advanced Charging Technology

Exclusive to Anker, PowerIQ and VoltageBoost combine to ensure the fastest possible charge, whatever device you have. (Does not support Qualcomm Quick Charge).

Ultra Powerful

4 ports pump out 40 watts of power, enabling multi-device charging. Simultaneously charge two iPads and two iPhones at full speed!

MultiProtect Safety System

Surge protection, temperature control and more advanced safety features keep you and your devices safe.

Super Compact

As small and light as a MacBook Air power adapter, the Anker PowerPort 4 is one of the most compact multi-port USB chargers on the market.

Rated DOE Level 6 for energy efficiency.

Awarded the US Department of Energy's highest possible energy efficiency rating (DOE 6).

World Famous Warranty

At Anker, we believe in our products. That's why we back them all with an 18-month warranty and provide friendly, easy-to-reach support.

For Optimal Use:

Use your original cable or a third-party certified one (such as MFi).

Compatible with Apple and Android smartphones, tablets (including the Nexus 7) and other USB-charged devices.

Note:

If a port isn't working properly, your device may have triggered the protective internal safety switch. In order to reset the switch, unplug all cables for five minutes and retry.

This charger is not compatible with the iPod nano, iPod Classic, iPod Shuffle, HP TouchPad and Asus tablets.

Proper surge suppression requires a ground, there is no ground. Surge suppression also will state the number of joules of protection that is offered. This device makes no such statement. What they are claiming as "surge" suppression is nothing more than voltage regulation, which occurs in all USB device chargers. In any modern charger there is certain logic, controls and buffers built into it to adjust and smooth out the power coming in as AC to a constant or regulated DC flow to the device.

Consider that the little cube that came with your iPhone is a 5 watt charger. This means that it is converting 120 vac to 5 vdc at 1000 mA. Any third party USB charging device does exactly the same thing, but to support 4 devices of mixed power demand they will operate at a higher wattage to support simultaneous power draws.

Nothing more than marketing double speak.

Colo Cruiser, jeromep is correct. I have researched these little buggers quite a lot for answers here on CC, and from correspondence with the manufacturers, I find that the terms "surge suppression" and "voltage regulation" are used interchangeably by marketing, but that engineering disagrees. "Surge suppression" is a "sexy" marketing term, so it draws people in. Voltage regulation is simply that if the input voltage is too high, instead of outputting a too high voltage (which could damage the electronics plugged into it), the device just shuts off the output voltage, so your device stops charging. However, a massive voltage spike like a lightning strike, which a surge protector would protect against, will most likely "burn through" the voltage barrier in the charger and damage the electronics plugged in. This is because the device like this Anker unit do not have a ground pin on the plug, and without this, you cannot install the semi-conductors used to dump the high voltages to ground instead of your electronics.

Simple rule of thumb is, if it has a two prong plug, it is not surge protected, regardless of what the marketing material says.

Does Princess allow multiple device chargers, where I can charge phone, tablet, etc in one device? When I sailed on Norwegian, we were not allowed to bring power strips. Are they treated the same way?

As others have mentioned, no surge protectors. Used to take a Belkin surge protector, but switched to a non-surge protector from Monster. Here's the Amazon link: https://www.amazon.com/Monster-Outlets-MP-OTG300-LTOP/dp/B003TXRTNG/ref=sr_1_fkmr2_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1489098462&sr=8-1-fkmr2&keywords=monster+multi+port+usb+chargerhttps://www.amazon.com/Monster-Outlets-MP-OTG300-LTOP/dp/B003TXRTNG/ref=sr_1_fkmr2_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1489098462&sr=8-1-fkmr2&keywords=monster+multi+port+usb+charger

Hope this link works. Looks wierd!

Stan

Colo Cruiser, jeromep is correct. I have researched these little buggers quite a lot for answers here on CC, and from correspondence with the manufacturers, I find that the terms "surge suppression" and "voltage regulation" are used interchangeably by marketing, but that engineering disagrees. "Surge suppression" is a "sexy" marketing term, so it draws people in. Voltage regulation is simply that if the input voltage is too high, instead of outputting a too high voltage (which could damage the electronics plugged into it), the device just shuts off the output voltage, so your device stops charging. However, a massive voltage spike like a lightning strike, which a surge protector would protect against, will most likely "burn through" the voltage barrier in the charger and damage the electronics plugged in. This is because the device like this Anker unit do not have a ground pin on the plug, and without this, you cannot install the semi-conductors used to dump the high voltages to ground instead of your electronics.

Simple rule of thumb is, if it has a two prong plug, it is not surge protected, regardless of what the marketing material says.

Thank you sir!

I use this at home https://www.amazon.com/GE-Grounded-3-Outlet-Tap-58368/dp/B001UE7SC8 and it works great to let me plug larger chargers in (and also gets me a few extra sockets at the same time). You can usually find something like this at your local home improvement store for <$5 - they also carry non-grounded ones (so 2-blade plugs) for a few bucks cheaper.

I use this at home https://www.amazon.com/GE-Grounded-3-Outlet-Tap-58368/dp/B001UE7SC8 and it works great to let me plug larger chargers in (and also gets me a few extra sockets at the same time). You can usually find something like this at your local home improvement store for <$5 - they also carry non-grounded ones (so 2-blade plugs) for a few bucks cheaper.

While I recommend a two prong plug for things like USB chargers, I would not recommend a two prong power outlet adapter like this, since the output is still line voltage.

While I recommend a two prong plug for things like USB chargers, I would not recommend a two prong power outlet adapter like this, since the output is still line voltage.

Is it safe for lights? I run a night light and lamp of these things. Thanks in advance

Is it safe for lights? I run a night light and lamp of these things. Thanks in advance

Yes. I just mean that as with anything electrical produced in the US, if it needs a ground, then use of a 3 prong to 2 prong adapter is not a good idea unless you make the ground with a screw on the adapter's lug. If your night light does not have a 3 prong plug, then it is safe to use it anywhere without the ground.

I have an outlet question! From reading here it seems like there is a shortage of outlets? We are in a full suite on the Coral. My husband has a CPAP machine. Are there outlets near the side of the bed? I also usually keep my phone plugged in at night beside the bed.

I also travel with a CPAP machine. I also carry a 5 metre extension cord in case there is no convenient outlet. I've found that there is an outlet beside the bed in balcony cabins - but only on the dressing table side - so there can still be need for an extension. I've never been able to afford a suite so I can't tell you where the outlets are.

Even if I knew of a convenient outlet I would still carry my extension cord with me, in case of travel disruption necessitating a hotel stay, and because it always lives in my CPAP bag so it's there whenever I travel - so I can't forget it.

By virtue of it being a 2 pin US style cord it's certainly not surge protected. There are three outlets on the end of the cord - the CPAP goes into one, a USB charger into another, so my iPhone & iPad sit by the bedside - handy if I wake up in the night.

I also travel with a CPAP machine. I also carry a 5 metre extension cord in case there is no convenient outlet. I've found that there is an outlet beside the bed in balcony cabins .

Thank you! I think an extension cord & extra plugs would work fine. Here is a photo of one we already have. 4c5e14b858945e7c1c17b6feef46e489.jpg

But it is 3 prong & says protection. Do you think I can use this one?

Do you realize that chargers have become standardized for cell phones and tablets? My husband and I bring one charger for 2 phones and 2 tablets. Unless you have some different hardware, just check the male end of the charger and if it is the same as any other, it will work on all of the devices.

This works fine as long as you don't want to charge more than two devices at one time. However, if both your phones and tablets are run down, and you won't have time to charge them consecutively, then you need to make sure you have enough chargers and plug outlets to do the job.

Some people are now purchasing lightning charger cables which are able to charge devices at a much faster rate, eliminating the need to carry around extra chargers; however, they will only work if your device can handle lightning charging. Most newer phones (1-2 years old) generally can, but it's always a good idea to check the manufacturer's specs.

Thank you! I think an extension cord & extra plugs would work fine. Here is a photo of one we already have. 4c5e14b858945e7c1c17b6feef46e489.jpg

But it is 3 prong & says protection. Do you think I can use this one?

That unit even has an LED that says "protected", it is surge protected, so don't use it onboard, but it is fine for hotels.

Yes. I just mean that as with anything electrical produced in the US, if it needs a ground, then use of a 3 prong to 2 prong adapter is not a good idea unless you make the ground with a screw on the adapter's lug. If your night light does not have a 3 prong plug, then it is safe to use it anywhere without the ground.

Oh - the 2-prong splitters I've seen are normally one 2-plug to three 2-plug outlets... but thanks for the caution on not buying a 2-prong to three 3-prong splitter (so don't plug a grounded plug into and adapter that would enable use with a non-grounded outlet)

• 1 month later...
For charging USB based devices I would recommend a multi port USB charger. Here is a link to one that I consider decent quality.

Multi port chargers, such as the ones that Anker (and many others) makes are all based on 2-prong outlets. They do not provide any surge suppression, therefore they are "ship safe". These devices do internal voltage regulation, which isn't surge suppression, for the purposes of not over-volting the device that is being charged. For those that carry cell phones and tablets, a 4-port unit will allow you to use one electrical outlet to charge all 4 devices, assuming a tablet and phone per couple. This reduces the amount of gear you need to pack for your cruise and should reduce your need for free outlets in your cabin.

I've provided a link to an Anker device I really like. I also like devices from Belkin. Just about any major name brand accessory maker will sell a product that is high quality and safe for any device that charges on USB.

So I have one of these, are they allowed? Nothing about surge protection in the description as they are USB chargers?

The cord has a 2-prong AC plug on the other end.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MSYIGDV/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So I have one of these, are they allowed? Nothing about surge protection in the description as they are USB chargers?

The cord has a 2-prong AC plug on the other end.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MSYIGDV/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hopefully this cruise ship chief engineer will reply to your question but I'm wondering if the description that it has "short circuit protection" is another way to describe surge protected.

He's posted information on this thread & on other surge protected discussions that may provide his professional answers to your question.

I located another of his posts about how to determine if a device is surge protected.

Inexpensive power strips are generally fine. Those with on/off switches are fine. If the packaging or the fine print on the back mentions things like "joules of protection" or "clamping voltages", then it is surge protected. If these are not mentioned, then it won't be.

There is also a lot of mis-direction with regards to multi-USB chargers. Many manufacturers claim their devices are surge protected, when in fact they are "voltage regulated". If the multi-USB charger does not have a 3-pin plug (no ground pin), then it is not surge protected, since a surge protector needs a path to ground, not relying on the "neutral". Hopefully, yuccaman can help me with this, this is based on as much information from the manufacturers as I can get a hold of.

I tend to harp on this subject because I have fought shipboard fires, and have trained crew in fire prevention, and the last thing I want to see is a general fire on a cruise ship, so if I can train the passengers in fire prevention as well, we are all ahead of the game.

Thanks Astro Flyer.

I think this 6-port USB charger is fine then because it has a 2-pin plug at the end of the cord.

Btw, I bought one with a cord because it looked more versatile than the ones that plug directly into an outlet which was normally on the desk near the phone.

Thanks Astro Flyer.

I think this 6-port USB charger is fine then because it has a 2-pin plug at the end of the cord.

Btw, I bought one with a cord because it looked more versatile than the ones that plug directly into an outlet which was normally on the desk near the phone.

I have a non surge protected device that plugs directly into a socket however that also blocks the other socket making it unusable. If I ever need more plugs/USB sockets, I'd purchase one similar to what you're considering.

I have a non surge protected device that plugs directly into a socket however that also blocks the other socket making it unusable. If I ever need more plugs/USB sockets, I'd purchase one similar to what you're considering.

I already have it and it works fine at home and at hotels. Just wanted to make sure that I can take it on the ship to charge 2 Samsung tablets (S3 and S2) and 2 Samsung phones (S7 and S5).

Thanks again.