Returned to Florida on the independence

We are currently on the independence and it was announced last night due to an emergency we would be returning to Miami. I just woke up, at 4:00 a.m. and we are docked in somewhere, I'll assume Miami. Anyone know what's going on our where our stops will be?

We are currently on the independence and it was announced last night due to an emergency we would be returning to Miami. I just woke up, at 4:00 a.m. and we are docked in somewhere, I'll assume Miami. Anyone know what's going on our where our stops will be?

By chance did you ask someone on the ship? Once they announce it, than you will be informed with an announcement and update, and then people will post it on these boards. So once you find out, let us know!!!!!!!!

I'm guessing that is the first time a Freedom class ship has been in Miami for quite a few years. I was on Freedom back in 2008 there and I think it wasn't long after that Freedom moved elsewhere. I wish I would have caught her turning in the basin on the webcam.

I'm guessing that is the first time a Freedom class ship has been in Miami for quite a few years. I was on Freedom back in 2008 there and I think it wasn't long after that Freedom moved elsewhere. I wish I would have caught her turning in the basin on the webcam.

Would it by any chance be in Port Fever archives?

We are on the cruise. It is currently 9 am and there has not been an update. I've asked around and they either do t know or won't tell.

You have to wonder what happened to make a ship turn around and go all the way back to Miami (we left from FLL). Think of the cost of gas, the cost of the port visit, and now trying to make up the 7+ hours of lost time. I would think it would need to be pretty serious since the medical facility can handle a lot.

Side note.. there are a ton of drunk college kids on this cruise. So many that is looks like a Carnival cruise ship. 😄 We've been overrun with "Bros".

We are on the cruise. It is currently 9 am and there has not been an update. I've asked around and they either do t know or won't tell.

You have to wonder what happened to make a ship turn around and go all the way back to Miami (we left from FLL). Think of the cost of gas, the cost of the port visit, and now trying to make up the 7+ hours of lost time. I would think it would need to be pretty serious since the medical facility can handle a lot.

Side note.. there are a ton of drunk college kids on this cruise. So many that is looks like a Carnival cruise ship. 😄 We've been overrun with "Bros".

Wow, I didn't see an of that on IOS 2 weeks ago. I guess Spring Break season has begun.

Honestly I think any short cruise out of FL in March would have a good share of drunk spring breakers!

Wow, I didn't see an of that on IOS 2 weeks ago. I guess Spring Break season has begun.

We were told that there is extra security on board due to all of the spring breakers.

We are also really booking it at 20 knots to make it up. We have an aft balcony and can really feel it in the room.

[/b]

Honestly I think any short cruise out of FL in March would have a good share of drunk spring breakers!

Is 5 nights considered a short cruise? I guess I thought a short cruise was 3 nights. I'm not a huge cruising fan so 5 nights is long to me :D

Is 5 nights considered a short cruise? I guess I thought a short cruise was 3 nights. I'm not a huge cruising fan so 5 nights is long to me :D

5 nights is generally less expensive than 7 nights, so it appeals to the spring breakers.

The Captian just updated that instead of pulling into Haiti at 7:30, we will arrive at 11:00 am. We will also leave 1 hour later. The winds super high, to the point that you can't really sit out at the pool, so there may be a chance we don't make it to Haiti at all.

If you don't make a port of call do they compensate in some way?

He didn't explain what the medical emergency was but I didn't expect him to. We just keep wondering why they didn't fly him off or even have another ship meet half way. Seems like that would make more sense than going all the way back to Miami.

The Captian just updated that instead of pulling into Haiti at 7:30, we will arrive at 11:00 am. We will also leave 1 hour later. The winds super high, to the point that you can't really sit out at the pool, so there may be a chance we don't make it to Haiti at all.

If you don't make a port of call do they compensate in some way?

He didn't explain what the medical emergency was but I didn't expect him to. We just keep wondering why they didn't fly him off or even have another ship meet half way. Seems like that would make more sense than going all the way back to Miami.

Obviously the medical situation was serious enough for the medical team to make the call that the person needed to be sent ashore ASAP.

I am guessing the windy situation you talk about cancelled out any chance of helicopter medivac or transfer to another vessel.

Rest assured all options would have been considered and the captain would have taken the final decision after analyzing all scenarios.

Sorry about your lost time in Labadee. I love the beach day there.

Obviously the medical situation was serious enough for the medical team to make the call that the person needed to be sent ashore ASAP.

I am guessing the windy situation you talk about cancelled out any chance of helicopter medivac or transfer to another vessel.

Rest assured all options would have been considered and the captain would have taken the final decision after analyzing all scenarios.

Sorry about your lost time in Labadee. I love the beach day there.

My husband is a Navy Helicopter pilot and he said the winds are not bad enough that would have prevented a helicopter rescue. The ship would have repositioned back to Miami, out of the wind, but he did that anyway.

I am sure the Captain, and probably a lot of higher ups, ran all the possible scenarios and going to Miami was the best one. I'm just curious from an analytical stand point as to why the other scenarios didn't work

My husband is a Navy Helicopter pilot and he said the winds are not bad enough that would have prevented a helicopter rescue. The ship would have repositioned back to Miami, out of the wind, but he did that anyway.

I am sure the Captain, and probably a lot of higher ups, ran all the possible scenarios and going to Miami was the best one. I'm just curious from an analytical stand point as to why the other scenarios didn't work

Sure each situation is different. Can't remember reasons but it's rare they use Helicopters. Out of probably dozen medical emergency's had while I was on cruises only one used Helo, all others we sped to a port & not necessarily our planned port.

The Captain votes on whether a helicopter evac would place his ship, crew, and passengers at more risk than the benefit to the patient. The flight crew vote as to whether the helicopter evac would place their aircraft at more risk than the benefit to the patient. The ship's doctor votes as to whether or not the risk of waiting for the ship to dock outweighs the risk of a helicopter evac. Finally, the USCG flight surgeon votes as to whether the risk to the patient of a helicopter flight and time away from advanced medical care outweighs the benefit of a quicker delivery to the hospital. It is all risk/reward. Helicopter evacs are risky in that the helicopter has to make a "moving hover" over a moving ship while winching the patient up, and even the best flight paramedics don't have all the equipment the ship's medical center has, or the hospital, so you risk exposure of the patient to less than optimal care.

The Captain votes on whether a helicopter evac would place his ship, crew, and passengers at more risk than the benefit to the patient. The flight crew vote as to whether the helicopter evac would place their aircraft at more risk than the benefit to the patient. The ship's doctor votes as to whether or not the risk of waiting for the ship to dock outweighs the risk of a helicopter evac. Finally, the USCG flight surgeon votes as to whether the risk to the patient of a helicopter flight and time away from advanced medical care outweighs the benefit of a quicker delivery to the hospital. It is all risk/reward. Helicopter evacs are risky in that the helicopter has to make a "moving hover" over a moving ship while winching the patient up, and even the best flight paramedics don't have all the equipment the ship's medical center has, or the hospital, so you risk exposure of the patient to less than optimal care.

My husband has been a Navy Helicopter pilot for 22 years, a lot of that time in the gulf doing search and rescue. So yes, I get all of that and we understand how it works and who needs to make what decisions and risk vs reward. Still curious from an analytical view, what medical condition makes turning the ship around after its gone quite a distance.

Im on FOS now and we had Labadee cancelled monday with gale force winds since we left port on Saturday. Lots of people sick Sunday/Monday. If you make Labadee tomorrow you should have 15-20 knot winds with partly cloudy conditions and scattered showers. Not an ideal beach say but better than cancelled.

-Sean

Im on FOS now and we had Labadee cancelled monday with gale force winds since we left port on Saturday. Lots of people sick Sunday/Monday. If you make Labadee tomorrow you should have 15-20 knot winds with partly cloudy conditions and scattered showers. Not an ideal beach say but better than cancelled.

-Sean

That really stinks. I am sorry you all didn't make it to Labadee and sorry for the sick people. What did the ship do instead? Did you have an extra day at another port or an extra sea day?

That really stinks. I am sorry you all didn't make it to Labadee and sorry for the sick people. What did the ship do instead? Did you have an extra day at another port or an extra sea day?

Another sea day and an extra 5 hours in San Juan. It does stink but sitting on a beach with rain and 30mph wind is no fun either...

Junglecat. Could you check something for me while on board??

We sail next wednesday and are still debating if we want the alcohol package. My hubby is mostly a beer drinker and since they now only have one package we are not sure it will be worth it.

Can you asked if they honor the beer coolers?? Bought one a couple years back on the Liberty. Don't want to take up the room to pack it, if they don't honor it. Or is there a bucket of beer special??

Thanks in advance.