Ft Lauderdale/ Carnival Splendor

Pugs&Kisses

Hi guys. First time poster here*. I have cruised several times out of Port Canaveral before and that was super easy. I heard that Fort Lauderdale/ Pt Evrglds can be a little difficult coming back home though. That some times the Port Authority can take forever. I am looking at times to book my flight home (to Atlanta). I have previously gotten off ship as early at 830 (nice!) and as late at 10am. Does any one know that average for this Port?

Thanks so much.

Pugs and Kisses to all.

If it makes a difference, I am sailing in September.

* Why did Carnival get rid of their forum. I loved it there. So much information.

Last year, getting off Oasis in FLL, we originally had a 3pm flight back to CT, but we got in so early and got off so quick, we were able to change it to an 11am flight back (Southwest).

I don't think there's a black/white answer here. There are just too many things that can happen.

More times than not, the ships are in early and people are getting off early. Good Luck!!!!

We've sailed from PE more than any other port and even without using self-assisted debarkation, I don't recall that we've ever arrived at the FLL airport later than 10-11AM. But, as mentioned, lots of factors can affect this: the ships' arrival time, clearance to debark by Customs officials and there's always the amount of port traffic (number of other ships in port that day) that can hold you up.

Last year, getting off Oasis in FLL, we originally had a 3pm flight back to CT, but we got in so early and got off so quick, we were able to change it to an 11am flight back (Southwest).

Did you pay a fee for the change, or you just requested to be on standby for the early flight?

• 1 month later...

Did you just do this at the desk? Was there a fee involved.. We dont sail out of FLL until 4:10. I was afraid to book the morning flight( the latest was 10:30).

Point to remember as always if you book a return flight before noon, your travel insurance will not cover you should there be a problem. I have also been in FLL when 9 ships debate with 25,000 headed for the airport, with an hour to check luggage and another hour for security.

My walk off experience is not typical - but I was in FLL and through security before 8AM April 9 coming off the Conquest. I had an 11AM flight booked, which turned out to be the 1st flight Delta sent to NYC that morning. The 8 AM to LGA was cancelled due to not having a pilot.

In MIA, when I had an 11am flight booked, I was able to switch to an 8:30AM flight since I arrived so early.

What people don't understand is that the airports are basically ghost towns at 8AM and ticket agents and TSA security are virtually void of customers. I didn't even need my Global Entry at either airport since there were no lines then. I travel with 1 piece of carry on luggage which facilitates changing flights..