Upsell advice

We called the upsell number for our upcoming 3/19 sailing on the Gem last week. Upgraded from a minisuite to a 2br family suite (non-Haven) for $600pp. They had 2 of them and some front facing owners suites available when we called. As previous poster had mentioned we didn't get any additional perks (we kept the unlimited beverage package we had along with the OBC) but we do get to take advantage of all of the suite perks onboard. IM EXCITED!

I received the bidding e-mail yesterday for the Gem and I am at the 80 day (or so) mark. Just wondering: why would they offer me the Haven Penthouse as an up-sell option when the website clearly says that the category for this particular sailing date is sold out? This may have been answered previously somewhere in this thread, but I have not seen it. Any ideas why this may be, and would anyone recommend me bidding on this given the uncertainty?

Thanks.

Got the bidding email yesterday for the 5/7/2017 cruise on the Star.

I asked my NCL rep if the Star was upsell or bid system. He didn't know or wouldn't say. So thanks good to know it's a bid system. We sail 06/04. We are in an inside and I have been watching pricing closely as we would like a balcony.

We called the upsell number for our upcoming 3/19 sailing on the Gem last week. Upgraded from a minisuite to a 2br family suite (non-Haven) for $600pp. They had 2 of them and some front facing owners suites available when we called. As previous poster had mentioned we didn't get any additional perks (we kept the unlimited beverage package we had along with the OBC) but we do get to take advantage of all of the suite perks onboard. IM EXCITED![/quoteI

I'm excited for you! Quick question: would you suggest just calling the upsell number if you know you want to upgrade instead of going through the bidding process? I'm pretty convinced that I want to upgrade, but not so sure I want to wait to see if my bid has been accepted since I know that the cabins in the category I would like to have are currently available. I'd like to know well ahead of time where I'm going to be since I am a planner at heart.

> I am on the Sun which is not doing the bidding process I suspect, therefore I'm on a 30-day minimum prior to being notified.

Unless it changes to the bidding system before you sail (or purchase an upsell). I called the upsell line a couple of weeks ago (more than 80 days out from our 5/21 cruise on the Pearl) and was told they wouldn't be available until 30 days out. But in other threads, I discovered that Gem cruisers are now getting the bidding emails and banners on their MyNCL pages, so I'm afraid the Pearl will also be switched to the bidding system before I can try for an upsell. :(

> would you suggest just calling the upsell number if you know you want to upgrade instead of going through the bidding process?

My understanding is that the upsell dept will not have anything to offer on the ships that have switched to the bidding system. But it never hurts to call and ask. Do let us know what they say. However, if you want to upgrade enough to pay whatever the current price for the cabin is, you can just call the main NCL number or your TA, they will take your money at any time. ;)

> I am on the Sun which is not doing the bidding process I suspect, therefore I'm on a 30-day minimum prior to being notified.

Unless it changes to the bidding system before you sail (or purchase an upsell). I called the upsell line a couple of weeks ago (more than 80 days out from our 5/21 cruise on the Pearl) and was told they wouldn't be available until 30 days out. But in other threads, I discovered that Gem cruisers are now getting the bidding emails and banners on their MyNCL pages, so I'm afraid the Pearl will also be switched to the bidding system before I can try for an upsell. :(

> would you suggest just calling the upsell number if you know you want to upgrade instead of going through the bidding process?

My understanding is that the upsell dept will not have anything to offer on the ships that have switched to the bidding system. But it never hurts to call and ask. Do let us know what they say. However, if you want to upgrade enough to pay whatever the current price for the cabin is, you can just call the main NCL number or your TA, they will take your money at any time. ;)

I never received a bidding email, but when I logged onto my NCL, I had a banner to bid on an upgrade (sailing on the Star April 23).

I figured it was worth a try to just call the upsell line since I know we want to upgrade. No luck :( I was told I have to use the bidding system. Looks like if the ship is on the bidding system, the upsell line is no mas (at least for the Star).

Oh well, fingers crossed my bid is accepted!

Does anyone have the list of when ships are moving to the bidding system. I thought I had seen it posted on CC at one time, but I can't find that thread...probably just using the wrong search keywords. We are on the Jewel in July, so I'm trying to find out when it will go live on bidding or if I can try my luck calling the upsell dept.

We called the upsell number for our upcoming 3/19 sailing on the Gem last week. Upgraded from a minisuite to a 2br family suite (non-Haven) for $600pp. They had 2 of them and some front facing owners suites available when we called. As previous poster had mentioned we didn't get any additional perks (we kept the unlimited beverage package we had along with the OBC) but we do get to take advantage of all of the suite perks onboard. IM EXCITED!

you will love the Gem 2 Bedroom suite. having the extra bathroom is awesome. we used it to hang wet bathing suits, etc. and stored all our luggage in that extra room.

We called the upsell number for our upcoming 3/19 sailing on the Gem last week. Upgraded from a minisuite to a 2br family suite (non-Haven) for $600pp. They had 2 of them and some front facing owners suites available when we called. As previous poster had mentioned we didn't get any additional perks (we kept the unlimited beverage package we had along with the OBC) but we do get to take advantage of all of the suite perks onboard. IM EXCITED![/quoteI

I'm excited for you! Quick question: would you suggest just calling the upsell number if you know you want to upgrade instead of going through the bidding process? I'm pretty convinced that I want to upgrade, but not so sure I want to wait to see if my bid has been accepted since I know that the cabins in the category I would like to have are currently available. I'd like to know well ahead of time where I'm going to be since I am a planner at heart.

If your ship has the new bidding system, the upsell department seems to want nothing to do with you. I called them when we first booked and had not gotten the bid email yet and they could not help me other than telling me to call back if I did not get the email. I called them again after we had made a bid, since I saw they had a lot of rooms available in a category I was interested in and they refused to even discuss anything, only referring me back to the bidding process.

I got an Upsell email today for our 3/13/17 Panama Canal cruise offering an upgrade from an inside to a balcony for $250/pp. We took it. We kept our UBP & our 5 dinner dining pkg. They also offered a minisuite for $400/pp -not worth the difference.

This must mean that the Pearl has officially moved to the new system....

No, that they received a specific offer (they paid $250 pp and immediately were switched to the new category) means that the Pearl had NOT moved to the bidding system. If it had, they would have received an email offering the chance to bid.

Which doesn't mean the Pearl won't be switched to the new system tomorrow ... or next week ... or ...