Booking Solo or booking for TWO right away ?

glrounds

I should know this, but with 30 cruises it's never come up before for me. I usually cruise solo and booking a couple cruises now where I might get a friend to come along. How do I do this ?

Book the cruise solo and add a guest later if this friend wants to come on board, paying the extra port fees and taxes at that time ? (Is there any charge for this ?):confused:

OR

Book the cruise for two NOW, pay the added port fees and taxes NOW and then get them back if he doesn't want to go ?:confused:

Deposits won't be a factor as I'll be paying for everything upon booking.

Thank you very much.

It was recommended by my PVP (and I did it this way) to book one person now and then once you decide if you are adding another, then call and do it. You are already paying double anyway. And if the other person decides not to go, you don't have to worry about them being a no show or having cancellation penalties. You will just pay the additional port fees and taxes when you add them. The rate will remain the same. Only time you would have to worry is if the ship reaches max capacity which is more likely around when school is out.

It was recommended by my PVP (and I did it this way) to book one person now and then once you decide if you are adding another, then call and do it. You are already paying double anyway. And if the other person decides not to go, you don't have to worry about them being a no show or having cancellation penalties. You will just pay the additional port fees and taxes when you add them. The rate will remain the same. Only time you would have to worry is if the ship reaches max capacity which is more likely around when school is out.

Thank you. This is what I had planned in the back of my mind, however, what do you mean "Only time you would have to worry is if the ship reaches max capacity . . . " Are you saying they'll figure me in my cabin in a solo position, fill the ship, and then not allow me to add a passenger to my already two person capable cabin ?

Will Carnival at the later date charge me more for this passenger I'm adding based on the idea that the price I got "per person" is no longer in effect and they'll need more than taxes and fees ?

Thank you. This is what I had planned in the back of my mind, however, what do you mean "Only time you would have to worry is if the ship reaches max capacity . . . " Are you saying they'll figure me in my cabin in a solo position, fill the ship, and then not allow me to add a passenger to my already two person capable cabin ?

It could happen if all the berths are full like all 3 and 4 person cabins are at max capacity as there are only a certain amount of lifeboat spots available. Unless it's a super popular cruise, chances are that you won't have to worry about it.

Will Carnival at the later date charge me more for this passenger I'm adding based on the idea that the price I got "per person" is no longer in effect and they'll need more than taxes and fees ?

I don't know the answer to this but that second part is what I would be concerned about... if you book a solo cabin at $500pp, (so $1,000 for the cabin), and when you friend wants to join prices are up to $600pp, they may want to charge the extra $100-$200. I'd be more inclined to book for 2 now and lock the price in.

Reference the first part. Yes, every cabin is assigned to a muster station and every muster station has a certain number of lifeboat seats. If the other cabins in your muster station book at higher numbers per cabin your lifeboat seats could possibly fill up since they are only accounting for 1 in your cabin. So they could potentially still be selling rooms on the ship, but if your muster station is full, not allow you to add a second person to your cabin.

I don't know the answer to this but that second part is what I would be concerned about... if you book a solo cabin at $500pp, (so $1,000 for the cabin), and when you friend wants to join prices are up to $600pp, they may want to charge the extra $100-$200. I'd be more inclined to book for 2 now and lock the price in.

Your price is already locked in. You do NOT get repriced at a higher rate if it goes up. Again, I have done this before.

The cruise right now in question is a 4-dayer out of Long Beach on the Imagination (I've done this identical cruise 4 times). About 6 weeks out. But my main concern is the SPLENDOR in Jan 2018 for 7 days (3 times on her) and obviously larger numbers to absorb for a screw up. I thank you both for this valuable information. Will book the IMAGINATION when I get home tonight. Thanks again.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk

I booked it Solo. As it turns out my friend can't go. So I'll either invite my ex wife or go it alone. Thanks for all your informed viewpoints. I appreciate it.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk

• 3 months later...
I should know this, but with 30 cruises it's never come up before for me. I usually cruise solo and booking a couple cruises now where I might get a friend to come along. How do I do this ?

Book the cruise solo and add a guest later if this friend wants to come on board, paying the extra port fees and taxes at that time ? (Is there any charge for this ?):confused:

OR

Book the cruise for two NOW, pay the added port fees and taxes NOW and then get them back if he doesn't want to go ?:confused:

Deposits won't be a factor as I'll be paying for everything upon booking.

Thank you very much.

I have encountered this before. I booked the cruise solo and added a friend when she decided to go. There were no penalty fees. I just paid the extra port fees and taxes.