Never Say Never.

Well I've learned a lesson re saying I'd never do a P&O cruise. We've been talked into a Mates Rates cruise on the 4th December, 10 days Noumea etc etc the usual. Balcony cabin @ $3198.00 for the pair of us and we get $200.00 OBC, so it basically comes down to $150.00 per night each. Don't know how much our TA will give us yet.

The good part about it is we will know our way around the ship as it will be our third trip on her, the Pacific Explorer AKA the old Dawn Princess. She should be pretty well shaken down after her refirb by then.

I think there's some kind of serendipity going on because I always felt the same way with P & O. Then I couldn't find any suitable cruise for the xmas holidays with RCI or Princess so I checked out the P&O site and booked a Tasmanian cruise on the Explorer. I looked at their ships and think they look really nice. I thought I would always try carnival next (because I have kids) but looking at them on youtube I don't think I could handle the over the top interior decoration. Not relaxing at all. Like a bad las vegas hotel.

I think there's some kind of serendipity going on because I always felt the same way with P & O. Then I couldn't find any suitable cruise for the xmas holidays with RCI or Princess so I checked out the P&O site and booked a Tasmanian cruise on the Explorer. I looked at their ships and think they look really nice. I thought I would always try carnival next (because I have kids) but looking at them on youtube I don't think I could handle the over the top interior decoration. Not relaxing at all. Like a bad las vegas hotel.

I am on the dawn tomorrow and it will be interesting just how much gets changed when it becomes the Explorer. The main works are up on top adding slides and such but the interiors (public spaces)are likely to get a refurb.

I am on the dawn tomorrow and it will be interesting just how much gets changed when it becomes the Explorer. The main works are up on top adding slides and such but the interiors (public spaces)are likely to get a refurb.

We did Pacific Eden out of Singapore in August and I was very pleasantly surprised. I had sworn off P&O for a long time but they seem to have made a genuine effort to lift their game at every level. The biggest improvement was the Pantry which replaced the old buffet. Lots of different themed stations and all food served to you by an attendant. No more hands in food and people filling their plates up to the ceiling. I hope the Explorer gets the Pantry too as part of the re furb.

We did Pacific Eden out of Singapore in August and I was very pleasantly surprised. I had sworn off P&O for a long time but they seem to have made a genuine effort to lift their game at every level. The biggest improvement was the Pantry which replaced the old buffet. Lots of different themed stations and all food served to you by an attendant. No more hands in food and people filling their plates up to the ceiling. I hope the Explorer gets the Pantry too as part of the re furb.

I agree, I avoid the buffet on most ships but sometimes you have no choice. The pantry is a big improvement.

Didn't see you on the future cruisers thread, but I'll be doing the same thing. :D

We went on the Aria and Pacific Jewel ( which we said we would not go on again) late last year, and were very pleasantly surprised. Aria was beautifully done out and had a great pool area with amazing lounges and chairs, and as it was winter it was great to be able to sit around the pool area without getting blown away because it has the retractable roof. Loved the pantry and dining room food was quite good also, service left a bit to be desired though. It was also great to have Dragon Lady and Angelo's included in the fare. Jewel was looking a bit tired but pantry food was excellent, entertainment was good and staff amazing as always. Robin:)