Summit - Engine Trouble

emjayel56

Celebrity Summit was forced to sail at a reduced speed due to issues with the ship’s propulsion system. We have been working to resolve this issue, with technicians and engineers flown in to Cozumel to make the necessary repairs. Due to this, Summit remained in Cozumel all day Wednesday and will depart on Thursday, March 9. Because of the later departure, and in order to ensure we conclude this cruise on schedule, Summit will need to bypass Grand Bahama Island,Bahamas and instead spend a day at sea to return to Port Everglades as scheduled on Saturday, March 11.

Could you kindly tell me where to find this information on the celebrity.com website?

Thanks so much !

Could you kindly tell me where to find this information on the celebrity.com website?

Thanks so much !

You will not find it on celebrity website... only after 1500 views of this thread to celebrity public relations decide to answer. When I called celebrity at 4 pm yesterday I was told that they had "no knowledge or information about any interruption" of sailing, notwithstanding that the Summit was in repair in Cozumel since Monday.

Celebrity is probably waiting to see how the ship fares during it's current voyage and is hoping (or expecting) the repairs were sufficient to avoid necessitating any major changes during the next voyage. I am sure they will provide an update if it turns out the damage requires more extensive work prior to the next sailing as soon as the outcome is known.

Celebrity is probably waiting to see how the ship fares during it's current voyage and is hoping (or expecting) the repairs were sufficient to avoid necessitating any major changes during the next voyage. I am sure they will provide an update if it turns out the damage requires more extensive work prior to the next sailing as soon as the outcome is known.

Doing 17.4 knots heading to Port Everglades makes me think problem is sorted

Is that a normal speed?

Depends. On the way to Bermuda last year she was doing between 10 & 15 as we were just cruising. On the way back to Jersey she was doing 22 - 24 knots. It makes me think she has full power. Have to wait till Saturday to find out for sure

Depends. On the way to Bermuda last year she was doing between 10 & 15 as we were just cruising. On the way back to Jersey she was doing 22 - 24 knots. It makes me think she has full power. Have to wait till Saturday to find out for sure

Please report under a new topic when you board and when you know the status. Bon voyage!

18 knots is not awful but for many cruises ships cruise over 20 knots for periods to stay on schedule and not being able to get that speed can really mess up the schedule. Seems like unless it is a Azpod issue that involves drydock the cruise lines try to work around the issue.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Cruising speed is 24 knots, but prevailing winds can affect speed, and destination and arrival time can dictate slower speeds. I don't know how engine efficiency works for Summit, but I presume that there is some tradeoff between speed and fuel consumption, where less than full steam is more efficient.

Skipping Freeport is not much of a loss.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Agree but since the cruise has just 3 port days and they have cancelled 2 of them, this makes the cruise one that is nearly 100% sea days. If I were on her, I would be distinctly unhappy as I hate sea days.

DON

Agree but since the cruise has just 3 port days and they have cancelled 2 of them, this makes the cruise one that is nearly 100% sea days. If I were on her, I would be distinctly unhappy as I hate sea days.

DON

But some extra time in Cozumel, so at least not 6 sea days and 1 day in port. Agree though, 2 sea days is borderline too much on a 7-day Caribbean/Bahamas itinerary for me. Let's hope an Alasksa itin doesn't give me cabin fever :eek:

DON

I actually would love more round trip cruises (not transatlantic) that went nowhere at all. I far prefer sea days. This particular trip only had 1 port stop, but it was a long one. Not dissimilar from their Bermuda itinerary. That's just me though. I don't cruise to travel from place to place, I like being on the sea.

I actually would love more round trip cruises (not transatlantic) that went nowhere at all. I far prefer sea days. This particular trip only had 1 port stop, but it was a long one. Not dissimilar from their Bermuda itinerary. That's just me though. I don't cruise to travel from place to place, I like being on the sea.

exactly my thoughts Fish Lover...however i would love to see a show of hands from passengers on who prefer being at sea opposed to in port...being at sea for my wife & i is serene and as close to being 'away from it all' as we can get without being on a space shuttle in orbit ..lol ..really looking forward to April 22 in PR and boarding the Summit !!! :cool:

exactly my thoughts Fish Lover...however i would love to see a show of hands from passengers on who prefer being at sea opposed to in port...being at sea for my wife & i is serene and as close to being 'away from it all' as we can get without being on a space shuttle in orbit ..lol ..really looking forward to April 22 in PR and boarding the Summit !!! :cool:

Me - I can be out to sea the whole time - as long as it's warm most of the time.. Like you, it's the only time I ever feel totally relaxed and "free" of everyday life.

That's because she's going uphill...

I like the old Bermuda itineraries, one day getting there and one day coming back. Nice to have those relaxing sea days on each end.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi beachpotatoes! Haven't seen you on our roll call for the Summit sailing April 22. Come on over!

I too love sea days. Most stops in the Caribbean these days are sea days for me.

Apparently problems still persist as our cruise departure date has been delayed by a day due to unexpected repairs... Short cruise to begin with - now even shorter.

If there problems, please explain why this cruise is not delayed - still due to depart today??? What is Celebrity not telling?

http://www.toplesstravel.com/cruises/summit-march-2017.aspx