Barbados - Batsheba and a shaded beach ....

I've posted the following question on the Barbados forum, without much luck....;p

"Barbados being the last port in a 5 intensive port days, I'm looking for a less "organized/scheduled" experience.

DH is an amateur photographer, and my understanding is that the Batsheba coast is very scenic.

What I'd mostly like to do is taking a taxi to Batsheba, DH will take pictures from various spots, and then head to relax to a nice beach, with shade/umbrellas, from where we can easily take a taxi back to ship.

DH will wait for me in the shade, and I'd like to at least once take a swim in the Caribbean sea.

Thanking you in advance for any tips, Dani :cool:"

Hi

We got a taxi to the Tiki Bar, Rockley Beach....loved it there! Not sure where it is from your first place of call but well worth a visit.

We paid $15 or BD$30 for sunbeds and an umbrella but you get it back in 'Tiki dollars' to spend on food and drink.

Enjoy!

Bathsheba is great for photography, not for swimming, as you have realised.

How about hiring a taxi to take you to Bathsheba, then lunch at the Atlantic hotel then back to somewhere like the Boatyard. But, don't go into the Boatyard. Instead take a walk along the beach to where there are umbrellas for hire and you can swim from there.

If you are feeling fit you can walk back to the ship, but in the Caribbean heat that may not be your choice.

Some lines will provide a shuttle from ship to Bridgetown for a couple of $$. The boatyard area is walking distance from the town centre.

Hope this helps, I'm sure other viewers will have alternative opinions.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Ask your taxi to take you to Farley Hill Park, Great Views of Bathsheba from there. Entrance fee about $4.00 US per person. Cant exactly remember. You can then let taxi drive you down to Bathsheba and what is known locally as "Cattle Wash". Definitely plan your lunch at Atlantis hotel. Great local cuisine in a quaint hotel overlooking a fishing depot. Nice views also.

Bathsheba is on the east coast, Rockley beack AKA Accra beach and Boat yard are on the south coast. Not sure if you will have time to do everything.

As someone said The East coast is not for swimming, You can dip in the small pools that form around the mushroom shape rocks.

Thank you, Itsbeentoolong, Kristal Blade and Goneclear for you replies and help:D.

The plan is to take pictures at Batsheba, and then head to a nice beach.

The "key word" is a beach where I can go for a bit of swimming, and, for DH - an umbrella/shade to wait for me, even if we get to the beach around noon.

The ship is docking at Bridgetown at 8AM. From there, ideally (~9.30AM), we'd take a taxi to Batsheba, spend about 20-30 min taking pictures from different points, and then back to a beach for about 2 hours, and back to ship.

We went to Rainbow Beach when we were in Barbados in February. They have chair($5), loungers ($10) and umbrella ($10) rentals and I believe there was even a shady area further away from the water that your husband could enjoy. The restaurant Rhythms that is right there had great food but it was pretty busy so we had a little bit of a wait for our food. One of the specials for the day was Lobster Tacos that were amazing.

Edited by JenGang

Just returned 2 weeks ago. If I am correct you are planning on going to the Atlantic side of the island for pictures. We had no plans for our Barbados stop. Went to the Visitors counter and was told any cab driver will take you on a tour of the island. $25 for 2 1/2 hours or $30 for 3hours. We approached a driver with another couple and said we wanted the shorter tour then to be dropped off at the beach. He took us all over the island and to the Atlantic side. Lots of rock formations and waves. Beautiful to see. Then he dropped us off at one of the beach clubs on Carlisle Bay. I think it was Copacabana Beach Club. I believe it was $15 pp for a lounge umbrella and two drinks. Spent a lovely afternoon at the beach and grabbed a $4pp cab ride back to the ship. A day not planned became one of the highlights of our cruise.