Questions - Cruise from Venice to Athens

Sunseeker1001

Does anyone know how far it is from the cruise ship dock to downtown Venice and if it is walkable? Due to a airline re-schedule we don't get into Venice airport until 2:30 then probably another hour to collect luggage and get shuttle to ship then check-in. We would very much like to see the canals and some of the local sites. I'm told that a good vantage point would be the Rialto Bridge over the Grand Canal and that we would need to get to San Marco area to do that. Want to know if we should take a water taxi or simply walk. Would also appreciate any suggestions for what to see in such a limited time. The ship departs at 11 p.m. so on board by 10 I suspect. Am a little intimidated to be out at night when we are not sure where we are going. Don't know if it is safe.... many are not around the world. Two old gray hairs would be easy targets :(

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I don't know how mobile you are, but if this was my trip, I would walk from the ship to the People Mover entrance then ride the People Mover (Monorail) to the Piazzale Roma. A 3 or 4 minute ride.

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/venice-people-mover.htm

PRoma is the last point of travel in Venice so it's a large square where buses, taxis, cars drop off passengers. Walk across this square to the Grand Canal ( maybe the equivalent of 2 blocks), then another block to the left is the Vaporetto station. Ride the vaporetto (#1 the slow ride or #2) to St Marks, wander around a bit, then either do the same trip in reverse, or walk.

Info about the vaporetto routes, fares, use, etc

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/venice-vaporetto-water-buses.htm

I feel quite safe wandering around Venice. There are some beggars around but they aren't around at night.

Edited by mapleleaves

Good tips.

Vaporetto 1 and 2 go all along the grand canal and there is lots to see in relative comfort.

Water taxis are expectantly priced and for real emergency I think.

I was in Venice several times on cruises, all as first, last and intermediate stops. All ships ran special shuttle boats to St.Marks pier/square, but that was an expensive option with the boats few and far between.

Venice is absolutely stunning every time and after 4 or 5 in the afternoon the crowds become less...

Good tips.

Vaporetto 1 and 2 go all along the grand canal and there is lots to see in relative comfort.

Water taxis are expectantly priced and for real emergency I think.

I was in Venice several times on cruises, all as first, last and intermediate stops. All ships ran special shuttle boats to St.Marks pier/square, but that was an expensive option with the boats few and far between.

Venice is absolutely stunning every time and after 4 or 5 in the afternoon the crowds become less...

"Water taxis are expectantly (that should say exorbitantly priced and for real emergency I think."

(Bloody auto-correct, sorry! :-) )

actually this is one case where I would splash out the 100 euros for a water taxi from airport to cruise port

It's a picturesque way to arrive and the driver could do a detour via the Grand Canal so you get to see some of the sights

It solves luggage storage and with the limited time you have a good way to see Venice

you can pre book water taxis-we got a 10 euro discount doing so a few years ago

contact veniceconnected or europeforvisitors.com/venice

actually this is one case where I would splash out the 100 euros for a water taxi from airport to cruise port

It's a picturesque way to arrive and the driver could do a detour via the Grand Canal so you get to see some of the sights

I've not taken a water taxi, but I find it difficult to believe they'd swing around to the sea side of the lagoon and go through the Grand Canal on their way to the port without charging a significantly higher fare, as it's a much greater distance than going the other way around....

I'd take a regular taxi from the airport, which is about half the price of the water taxi and more than twice as fast; it will drop you off close to your terminal for check-in, then once you drop off your luggage, take Mapleleaves' advice above.

(Of course, the OP says they are taking a "shuttle" in their post so all of this may be moot if they have a cruiseline transfer already....)

THANK YOU all for your replies. VERY helpful. We are 70's but mobile and can walk comfortably. I will print out the suggestions for transportation presented :) As far as I know, Viking Ocean Line does not provide any transportation/shuttle into the city. I did ask their rep. about how to get into the city area and they indicated that it was a brief walk but looking at the map, it doesn't look like it is **right there** as they seemed to indicate. I am looking forward to enjoying whatever I can see in the brief time that we are there. Should have flown in a few days earlier...maybe next time.

It sounds like having to get from the airport to the ship taking water taxis [V's] with luggage wouldn't be very easy. I am glad that the cruise line is providing that for us.

AND if any more suggestions come to mind...please shoot them our way :):):)

Thanks. I think we are required to go directly from the airport to the ship with the provided transfer by the ship line. We plan to go there first but if we are able we might just stop in town and sight see before going to the ship. Our luggage will be put in our room or by our door, I'm sure. I need to think more about the logistics.:)

Does anyone know how far it is from the cruise ship dock to downtown Venice and if it is walkable? Due to a airline re-schedule we don't get into Venice airport until 2:30 then probably another hour to collect luggage and get shuttle to ship then check-in. We would very much like to see the canals and some of the local sites. I'm told that a good vantage point would be the Rialto Bridge over the Grand Canal and that we would need to get to San Marco area to do that. Want to know if we should take a water taxi or simply walk. Would also appreciate any suggestions for what to see in such a limited time. The ship departs at 11 p.m. so on board by 10 I suspect. Am a little intimidated to be out at night when we are not sure where we are going. Don't know if it is safe.... many are not around the world. Two old gray hairs would be easy targets :(

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You have been slightly misled about the geography. We assume you are taking about going to the Rialto Bridge from your ship. That bridge is nowhere near St Marks Square. If you want to go from the port to the Rialto area you should walk (or use an internal shuttle bus if provided) from your pier to the "People Mover" which is an overhead train (it costs 1.5€) that will take you from the port over to the nearby Piazale Roma. From there you can just walk across the square to the Vaporetto (water buses) pier (there is a large ACTV sign at the entrance to the pier) and take either the #1 or #2 vaporetto (make sure you get on one going in the direction to Rialto (which is towards your right as you face the Grand Canal). If you really like long walks it is also possible to walk from the People Mover to the Rialto Bridge....but it will take you at least 20 min.

As to being out at night, you will have plenty of company (if the weather is good). Venice is a major tourist center and there are plenty of folks out and about early in the evening. And if you are in Venice in the late spring-early summer it does not get dark until after 9pm.

Hank