Getting so excited for Alaska on the Eurodam!

ldlewis45

Just over 5 months to go! I'm in an aft Neptune suite with my parents (or at least my dad if my mom decides not to go). We decided on the aft suite because of the wrap balcony and the fact that we could get one suite room for not much more than the cost of two balconies, and we get more perks with the suite. I'm looking forward to having tea on the balcony and watching the scenery. It's our first cruise on Holland America, and my dad's first cruise, period. I've been on several cruises and my mom joined me on one, so we know what to expect. I'm just hoping that the cruise won't be too "mature," if you know what I mean. I'm in my early 30s and my folks are in their 70s, but they don't consider themselves to be elderly yet, lol. None of us are into partying into the early hours or the stupid deck contests that other lines do, but we aren't stodgy or super-formal, either. In fact, my parents are not looking forward to the formal nights, so we'll probably just do the buffet most nights. I'm hoping that the cruise will live up to expectations and that my dad will have fun, since this cruise is mostly for him.

I know, however, that I'm not really going to get a chance to relax on this cruise because of traveling with the folks (I usually cruise solo), so I'm actually booked on a cruise to Bermuda a week after the Alaska cruise, lol. One is the family cruise, the other is the relaxation cruise!

No more formal nights - they are now "Gala Nights" with a very loose dress code.

If you have not been to Alaska before, you are in for a treat. My first visit was last year and I was amazed by the scenery. Enjoy!

I too am booked on the Eurodam to Alaska but we are on the May 6th sailing. First time in Alaska for my husband and I and we are very excited as well.

This will be our second cruise on HAL but we've sailed many times with Princess, Carnival, RCCL and Norwegian. HAL was our "quietest" cruise by far lol but we still had a good time. (We sailed on Veendam to Bermuda)

I'll be sure to report back with a review!

You will love Alaska -- so beautiful.

Formal nights have been gone for some time. They are now Gala nights and very, very few people dress up.

The majority of the men wear slacks and a colored shirt -- no tie -- no jacket.

Ladies wear nice slacks and a nice top or a nice dress or snice skirt and top.

Nothing fancy.

Just over 5 months to go! I'm in an aft Neptune suite with my parents (or at least my dad if my mom decides not to go). We decided on the aft suite because of the wrap balcony and the fact that we could get one suite room for not much more than the cost of two balconies, and we get more perks with the suite. I'm looking forward to having tea on the balcony and watching the scenery. It's our first cruise on Holland America, and my dad's first cruise, period. I've been on several cruises and my mom joined me on one, so we know what to expect. I'm just hoping that the cruise won't be too "mature," if you know what I mean. I'm in my early 30s and my folks are in their 70s, but they don't consider themselves to be elderly yet, lol. None of us are into partying into the early hours or the stupid deck contests that other lines do, but we aren't stodgy or super-formal, either. In fact, my parents are not looking forward to the formal nights, so we'll probably just do the buffet most nights. I'm hoping that the cruise will live up to expectations and that my dad will have fun, since this cruise is mostly for him.

I know, however, that I'm not really going to get a chance to relax on this cruise because of traveling with the folks (I usually cruise solo), so I'm actually booked on a cruise to Bermuda a week after the Alaska cruise, lol. One is the family cruise, the other is the relaxation cruise!

I envy you for getting to travel with your parents mine are both gone, I did do an Alaska cruise with my dad just a few months before he passed. He had cancer and it was a tough trip for him but one he had always wanted to do and one of my fondest memories is watching him sit on the balcony with his binoculars just enjoying the scenery. We did quite a bit of room service at that time. but being your in a NS you can have dinner served on your balcony as well which is always an nice if you aren't in favor of the dining room. Just talk to the Neptune lounge staff and they will help you set it up. Sure hope your mom is able to go it is an amazing cruise and to help up the level of amazement is the NS and the perks. Have fun!!!!

You will love Alaska -- so beautiful.

Formal nights have been gone for some time. They are now Gala nights and very, very few people dress up.

The majority of the men wear slacks and a colored shirt -- no tie -- no jacket.

Ladies wear nice slacks and a nice top or a nice dress or snice skirt and top.

Nothing fancy.

I've seen a few references on the boards about "gala" nights but I didn't realize what it was. We haven't sailed with HAL since 2012 which was I guess before this change.

So are long gowns and tuxedos out completely?

I've seen a few references on the boards about "gala" nights but I didn't realize what it was. We haven't sailed with HAL since 2012 which was I guess before this change.

I have seen just a few tuxes, but it is not the norm. And on an Alaska cruise, it is less formal, then for instance, a cruise to the Med. Plus, if they really don't want to go to the dining room (although that is part of the fun) you can order room service.

I hope both your parents go and enjoy the trip, I had a chance to go with my folks to Alaska and it is a lasting memory.

Alaska is my favorite destination...we have been 10 times! I have reviews of different ports and the glaciers on my travel blog...http://www.zest4travel.wordpress.com Please enjoy it....and let me know if you have any questions....happy to answer them.

We had an aft wrap NS on our last cruise. It was wonderful and as long as I can afford, that's the way I'm going from now on! When we cruised to Alaska, we went with friends who were adamantly opposed to the MDR. We "forced" them to go the first night and we then went every night, they loved the pampering from the crew and how special we all were made to feel. It isn't formal or stodgy. The wait staff is attentive without being overbearing and they get to know you . It was one of the nicer parts of our experience.The Lido is OK but a bit chaotic for our taste. I don't like having to hunt for a table. If you have cause for celebration, go to the Pinnacle Grill, worth every penny ,IMHO.

I envy you for getting to travel with your parents mine are both gone, I did do an Alaska cruise with my dad just a few months before he passed. He had cancer and it was a tough trip for him but one he had always wanted to do and one of my fondest memories is watching him sit on the balcony with his binoculars just enjoying the scenery. We did quite a bit of room service at that time. but being your in a NS you can have dinner served on your balcony as well which is always an nice if you aren't in favor of the dining room. Just talk to the Neptune lounge staff and they will help you set it up. Sure hope your mom is able to go it is an amazing cruise and to help up the level of amazement is the NS and the perks. Have fun!!!!

Your post really touched me, especially your Dad sitting on the balcony with his binoculars just enjoying the scenery. What a beautiful memory. I had the joy of taking my Mom on many cruises. She did slowly succumb to dementia, which was rough for me , but there was so much that she still enjoyed, especially the music.

No, not at all. The percentage will vary based on area of the world, and length of the cruise, of course. But that has always been true. It is also true that now that the dress code has been lowered, there are fewer people dressing to the nines. But you will still see tuxedos, suits, and gowns (whether long, cocktail, or tea length) on every cruise.

Have a great cruise! I have been to Alaska many times, but I still share your excitement!

For some reason passengers' attire on HAL formal/Gala Nights can, and usually does, differ according to the itinerary. Alaska and Mexican Riviera tend to be less dressy, while passengers on Caribbean trips pull out the tuxes, business suits, cocktail and long dresses. The only explanation I can think of is that the east coast culture tends to dress up. The west coast not so much, and especially the Pacific Northwest.

This is just my opinion and based on what I've repeatedly seen on these itineraries, and others during the years. For 7 day cruises, it seems more people (including teenagers and young adults) dress up on the Nieuw Amsterdam/Caribbean than any other HAL ship.

That said, many feel it's also a sign of respect to the ship, staff and officers to dress nicely on the formal/gala nights. This sentiment is a tradition of cruising, and officers have told me how much they appreciate seeing the passengers in business or cocktail attire on those evenings.

I know people will disagree with me. Again, this is just from my experience and what I've observed.

For some reason passengers' attire on HAL formal/Gala Nights can, and usually does, differ according to the itinerary. Alaska and Mexican Riviera tend to be less dressy, while passengers on Caribbean trips pull out the tuxes, business suits, cocktail and long dresses. The only explanation I can think of is that the east coast culture tends to dress up. The west coast not so much, and especially the Pacific Northwest.

This is just my opinion and based on what I've repeatedly seen on these itineraries, and others during the years. For 7 day cruises, it seems more people (including teenagers and young adults) dress up on the Nieuw Amsterdam/Caribbean than any other HAL ship.

That said, many feel it's also a sign of respect to the ship, staff and officers to dress nicely on the formal/gala nights. This sentiment is a tradition of cruising, and officers have told me how much they appreciate seeing the passengers in business or cocktail attire on those evenings.

I know people will disagree with me. Again, this is just from my experience and what I've observed.

I agree over the years the attire has gotten more casual, but I'm happy to hear that we won't stand out too much if my husband wears a dark suit and I wear a long cocktail style dress on the gala nights.

It's actually a part of cruising that I enjoy and look forward to!

Thanks everyone that responded to my question! I wish I could figure out how to include multiple quotes here. lol