Escape - Deluxe Owner's Suite - Balcony useless @ sea ??

Tom-n-Cheryl

So I'm not sure if there will be much difference between deck 17 and 18 (we were on 18), but it was pretty darn windy on sea days. You could avoid some of the wind by sitting on a lounge chair, which were shielded by the glass partition, but you'd also have to be okay with having windswept hair for the day. :)

Also, 18 can get a ridiculous amount of sun...and rain. Without any deck above, you have full exposure.

Let me know if you need more info.

Thanks

Yep, I was glad that it was deck 17 that was available --- it's nice to have a little bit of cover overhead !

Tom

Thanks for the info, tlc1972! We have been looking forward to your comments on the H2. Did you like the DOS? And how was the bed size in the second bedroom? Was it in fact a pull down murphy bed and did it seem to be a double bed in size or larger? Any tips? Hope you had a great trip!

The second bedroom is a double sized pull-down murphy-style bed. My sister used that room and never complained about comfort level (and she is one to comment about uncomfortable beds). I have a photo, but need to resize for CC boards as the HDR files are too large for them.

Overall, we enjoyed the H2 DOS with large balcony. The main living/dining room could use more comfortable seating; it only has a sofa and chair with ottoman, but there is enough room to add in one more chair. But would I pay as much as I did for that room again? Probably not. While you can't beat the service, quiet, and ambiance of the Haven, I think I'd only do it again in a smaller (more affordable) cabin. I'll probably do a full review in the next week of cabin 18102.

The second bedroom is a double sized pull-down murphy-style bed. My sister used that room and never complained about comfort level (and she is one to comment about uncomfortable beds). I have a photo, but need to resize for CC boards as the HDR files are too large for them.

Overall, we enjoyed the H2 DOS with large balcony. The main living/dining room could use more comfortable seating; it only has a sofa and chair with ottoman, but there is enough room to add in one more chair. But would I pay as much as I did for that room again? Probably not. While you can't beat the service, quiet, and ambiance of the Haven, I think I'd only do it again in a smaller (more affordable) cabin. I'll probably do a full review in the next week of cabin 18102.

Thanks for some great tips booked in 18102 in Aug. traveling with DS17 and his friend. I was told there is also 'sleeping' in living room, is this a Murphy bed or pull out couch. Any insight greatly appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...

I have been on two forward facing non-haven balconies. One on the Jade ...

IMG_3280.jpg

pidd-friendsenjoyingtheview_zpsa090c930.jpg

SRMai_5108.jpg

And one the Pearl ...

4-4_zpsoyrvotk4.jpg

5-1_zpsla1w8jul.jpg

5-5_zpskojzijte.jpg

The amount of wind you feel depends on several factors.

1) The closer to the rail you stand, the more wind you feel.

2) If you are under the overhang, the less wind you will feel. Why? Because the wind has nowhere to go. On the other hand, if you leave both doors open (the door to the balcony and the entry door to the cabin) you will create a hurricane inside your cabin.

3) The direction, and speed of the wind. If the ship is traveling at 20 knots with a 17 knot tail wind, papers on that little table near the lounge chair will stay put without a paper weight. I was able to do this on the Jade between Acapulco and the Panama Canal. On the other hand, if you are traveling at 20 knots into a 20 knot headwind, you will feel the wind.

4) Sitting or standing. The lower you are, the less wind you will feel.

5) It has been totally useful in the Panama Canal both times I was there (which is the reason I book this cabin).

The bottom line - I booked this cabin twice by choice.

Thanks for some great tips booked in 18102 in Aug. traveling with DS17 and his friend. I was told there is also 'sleeping' in living room, is this a Murphy bed or pull out couch. Any insight greatly appreciated.

Pull out couch in living room.

I'm sorry, OP, but your "guess" is WRONG. We've been there, done that on the Getaway twice. BUT if you think a side or aft view is better, it's your money.

Thanks to the informative and helpful responses from several previous posters, we booked the DOS on both the Escape and Bliss.

I woudl like to see the photo of the Murphy Bed.