Review - NCL Breakaway for March 5 to March 12, 2017

DeltaOne

Just off the Breakaway today, from the 3/5/17 to 3/12/17 cruise. We stayed on the ship in Port Canaveral and Nassau, we did the jet ski excursion at Great Stirrup Cay.

We were in The Haven. Our room wasn’t on The Haven floor (deck 16). We had a room on deck 13. Next time we will try for a room on the same floor as The Haven, it would be more convenient.

The Haven experience is wonderful! The Haven was never crowded and noisy, we never waited in line for anything.

Embarkation was quick and easy, we parked our car at 11 am and were on the ship by 11:30 am. We went to The Haven pool area where Anoop (the concierge) explained The Haven amenities. The staff provided rum punch, sliders and french fries.

We then went to our room, it was ready for us. No problems. The safety drill was at 2:30 pm, by 3 pm we were sailing up the Hudson River towards the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge.

After about a dozen cruises, this is the first cruise that we never ate in the buffet or the main dining rooms. We never had to wait for a table in The Haven Restaurant. We had a dining package as a perk, so we also ate in Cagney’s, Teppanyaki and Ocean Blue. And another night we had sushi at Wasabi.

Breakfast, lunch and dinner in The Haven Restaurant is quite nice. As I mentioned, we never encountered a line. The food was quite good. I highly recommend the pork belly appetizer and the shrimp skewer entree. And the french dip roast beef sandwich for lunch. My wife enjoyed the goat cheese galette for lunch too. The only negative to The Haven restaurant is that the breakfast, lunch and dinner menus never change. But, Haven folks have the dining plan, so that helps break it up. Plus you can order from any other restaurant and they will get the food for you.

The Haven pool area is very nice. It was never crowded. We never had a problem finding a lounger and never shared the pool or hot tub with anyone.

The Haven bar area was never crowded, service was good. If you like bloody mary’s, look for Stefano at the Haven bar. He makes a great bloody mary!

Anoop (Haven concierge) helped us get seating for the Rock of Ages show (there’s a special area for Haven folks in the theater). Marlon, our butler, visited our room each afternoon to bring snacks. Edgar, the maitre ‘d at The Haven restaurant, made each visit there more enjoyable.

Debarkation was fast and easy. The Haven restaurant opens at 6:30 am on debarkation day. We got there around 7 am, had a leisurely breakfast, retrieved our luggage and were off the ship in just a few minutes. The Haven staff will use their staff elevator to take you to the gangway. Then to a special line at Customs. We were at our car by 8:15 am.

We especially enjoyed Charlie Love and the Silky Smooth Band in the Fat Cats lounge each night. He’s a great entertainer!

All in all, it was a great cruise!

Thank you for the very nice review. I was thinking of all of you getting off this AM in the unseasonably cold temperatures.

Please tell me if you carried your own luggage or if not, were the pieces in a separate area for easy retrieval. My husband is handicapped and trying to find our luggage and a porter is a burden for him. Thank you for any suggestions.

Thank you for the very nice review. I was thinking of all of you getting off this AM in the unseasonably cold temperatures.

Please tell me if you carried your own luggage or if not, were the pieces in a separate area for easy retrieval. My husband is handicapped and trying to find our luggage and a porter is a burden for him. Thank you for any suggestions.

We were on the same cruise as well as in the Haven as the thread starter was, so we had priority disembarkation and bypassed all the long self disembark (i.e. those carrying their own luggage off the ship) passenger lines in the frigid weather. We met Anoop at the Haven concierge desk at 9:15am and were outside of the cruise terminal by 9:50am (and it only took that long because our party included some seniors who are slow walkers).

However, any passengers (Haven or non-Haven) who had requested wheelchair assistance off of the Breakaway and their companions were also able to bypass the lines just like the Haven folks to the luggage retrieval areas. And once you were in the luggage retrieval area, if you hired a porter you were also able to bypass the lines for US customs regardless of whether you had wheelchair assistance or were a Haven passenger.

Please tell me if you carried your own luggage or if not, were the pieces in a separate area for easy retrieval.

We did carry our own luggage. Sorry, I don't know if they put the Haven luggage in a separate area. Perhaps someone else will chime in and tell us.

We did carry our own luggage. Sorry, I don't know if they put the Haven luggage in a separate area. Perhaps someone else will chime in and tell us.

We didn't carry our own luggage and yes the Haven luggage was in a "priority" section closest to the US customs lines.

We were on the same cruise as well as in the Haven as the thread starter was, so we had priority disembarkation and bypassed all the long self disembark (i.e. those carrying their own luggage off the ship) passenger lines in the frigid weather. We met Anoop at the Haven concierge desk at 9:15am and were outside of the cruise terminal by 9:50am (and it only took that long because our party included some seniors who are slow walkers).

However, any passengers (Haven or non-Haven) who had requested wheelchair assistance off of the Breakaway and their companions were also able to bypass the lines just like the Haven folks to the luggage retrieval areas. And once you were in the luggage retrieval area, if you hired a porter you were also able to bypass the lines for US customs regardless of whether you had wheelchair assistance or were a Haven passenger.

Can you tell me about hiring a porter. We are not in the Haven. I am curious about what services a porter provides and the cost. Thank you!

We too were in the Haven on this cruise. Yes, the Haven luggage is in a separate area. Though they try, the terminal is too small for the Breakaway. We had a transfer bus back to Albany and had to wait till noon for people to get through the lines at immigration.

Can you tell me about hiring a porter. We are not in the Haven. I am curious about what services a porter provides and the cost. Thank you!

Unfortunately, we didn't hire a porter so I can't say how much they cost (other posters have mentioned using them in other threads, though, so I'm sure the info is out there). They help you collect your luggage like at the airport and then speed you through a separate (and much shorter/quicker) line through US customs. And then I believe they take your luggage all the way to the street exit of the cruise terminal (we wheeled our own luggage at this point).

Unfortunately, we didn't hire a porter so I can't say how much they cost (other posters have mentioned using them in other threads, though, so I'm sure the info is out there). They help you collect your luggage like at the airport and then speed you through a separate (and much shorter/quicker) line through US customs. And then I believe they take your luggage all the way to the street exit of the cruise terminal (we wheeled our own luggage at this point).

In NYC at ports, the standard is $2 per bag minimum. They will accept more!!!!

MARAPRINCE

Paul from Maryland; so you had Haven access; but your suite was located on a lower deck? Is that correct?

Yes, that's correct.

My adult son cruises with us and he uses a power wheelchair, so we need an accessible room. There is an accessible room on the Haven deck, but it was booked. So we took a room on deck 13.