How much motion difference?

lmintzer

I had a really good aft balcony (deck 9) booked on the Breakaway for a July cruise for myself and my two boys. I now need to shift dates to the next week, as my friend and her family have decided to join us. Super happy about that part! But it does mean a different stateroom plan. There are no 9th deck aft balconies available on the sailing we are shifting to. And they are 4 people, so that wouldn't work for them anyway.

So I'm thinking maybe we could each do a mini with large balcony. There are still a few left (just 2 that hold 4 people so we'd have to jump on it right away).

I think we'd enjoy the large balconies! Somewhere for the adults to hang out while the kids (tweens and teens) are running around, either by themselves or with 1 of the 3 adults.

Here are my two questions: how much worse do you think the motion will be on 8 in the front vs in a mid-ship mini? Second, how annoyingly long would the walk feel to get to the aft activities like the water slides, the ropes course, and the sports courts? I imagine the kids would be spending a fair bit of time there.

I know some of you will recommend getting balconies over minis, but I have to say--I'm a sucker for the nicer/bigger bathroom. : )

Any thoughts? (It may wind up being decided for me if those minis with large balconies book tonight--NCL's phone lines are closed for the night, and I need to call as opposd to just book on line to see if maybe I can get someone to transfer my Dash sale onboard credit to my new booking. I know it's unlikely, but it's worth a try.)

TIA!

OR--found one more option. This is aft again. Would miss the nice mini-suite bathroom, but the balcony would be nice (in case the forward large mini suite balconies are sold out or if we decide there is too much motion up there):

Me and my two teen boys: 11310 (where is bed?) or 11312 (bed by window)

My friends (2 adults, a tween, and a young teen): angled balcony 11294. Just "down the hall" and at least affords them a little more balcony space than a mid-ship mini would.

Thoughts about this plan vs trying for the two forward mini suites with large balconies (would be pretty far forward--8720 and 8722 or 8726). That's all that's left.

It really depends to what degree motion effects you. There will be more motion (think of a see saw going up and down) but how you handle it is a personal issue. Doesn't bother me, Mrs Gut would be comatose

I use a patch no matter what. I think I am pretty protected with it. Not sure how sensitive my kids are. My older son noticed nothing on our Alaska cruise. My younger one had a headache the first night, took some Bonine, and was fine the rest of the trip. But it was Alaska and not as many days of open sea. So really hard to say.

If we do choose to do mid-ship minis to protect against possible sea-sickness, would you recommend deck 12--just aft of forward stairwell? In this case, I know we wouldn't use the elevators much. My kids like to run the stairs, and the adults would probably use them too for some exercise.

There are so many decks with minis--9, 10, 11, 12--hard to pick a location. I know to avoid decks 8 (and maybe 9, starboard) to not have to deal with waterfront smoke.

Midship has less motion movement than fwd and aft. But it really depends on your tolerance level for motion. Just remember that it will all depend on the waves. FWIW, just bring motion sickness medications prescribed by your physician just in case.

Forward on any ship the motion is mostly up and down porpoise

Aft the motion is torquing side to side

Mid ship lower deck is perhaps the most stable and least motion

The higher you go the more the effect is felt.

The BA is a really large ship and effect should not be much to worry about at all unless the waves and weather are nasty.

A Mini-Suite is just a Deluxe Balcony cabin with a bath tub and about 10 square feet more space (all in the bathroom).

With your two sons the best cabin arrangement is the queen bed split to two twins and then the convertible couch is the

bed for junior son. The convertible couch is not all together that great. If you do happen to get a cabin with a fold down

ceiling bunk that would be better than the couch. You can have your cabin attendant make up the bedding at night (turn down

service) to make the most useable space in the cabin. If the couch is deployed it will inhibit free movement in the cabin and

if in front of the balcony be an obstacle course - your cabin attendant can explain how it is best for you. For the other couple

cabins are designed for double occupancy should be no issues here.

About motion sickness don't forget about the other option the patch - but I doubt that the teens are going to

have motion sickness if they are the active sort. If they can handle the amusement park rides on the top deck

they should have nothing to fear about motion - don't concentrate on the waves and swells and be lulled into

a queasy unstable feeling. An old salt navy fellow told me keep the belly full to dispel that feeling - not hard

to do on a 24 buffet cruise ship.

Readers any other help here for these folks - - - ?

We just got off the Breakaway yesterday and were pleasantly surprised how well she handled the seas. Looking at the photos these new ships from all the lines seem impossibly tall. But somehow a combination of length, ballast, beam and stabilizers seems to do the trick. Also these ships are not very fast (21.5 knots maximum) and that seems to help. We were in 14.8 foot beam to quartering seas for a while and the ride was very smooth. The advice for midship cabins, and lower decks is always good- we were on deck 10 way forward. We found our balcony cabin (10126) to be quite large and comfortable. The couch makes into a bed we think somehow :) You will get a lot of steps- one of the crew told us she stopped wearing a step counter- with 25000-40000 steps a day every day it was not something she needed to stress about.

Bummer! While waiting to hear back from my friend on her cabin preference, the mini suites with large balconies for 4 booked up! There had been 2 left. Now you can still book one, but it is a "guarantee" only, which is really weird. What would they get upgraded to if they can't find them one? I don't think they should go with that--we could wind up on one side of that very long hallway all the wayat one end and us on the other. I assume there is no way to cross over without walking to the front stairwell?

Bummer! While waiting to hear back from my friend on her cabin preference, the mini suites with large balconies for 4 booked up! There had been 2 left. Now you can still book one, but it is a "guarantee" only, which is really weird. What would they get upgraded to if they can't find them one? I don't think they should go with that--we could wind up on one side of that very long hallway all the wayat one end and us on the other. I assume there is no way to cross over without walking to the front stairwell?

The Upgrade when the guarantees are sold out might just happen to be a real suite or a Balcony cabin with

a whole bunch of Promos included all complimentary. NCL may also entice the occupants of a mini-suite who

are Latitudes frequent cruises to upgrade and create a vacancy for you. Com-on-down let's make a deal - Lets

see what is behind door number 4 ? I don't read much here at CC about failure to honor guaranteed cabin upgrades.

July is still some time away more than the 90 days of final payments and adjustments bargaining etc.

Hang in there and check back with NCL frequently. With a July sailing the motion sickness should be a mute issue.

Regarding where the cabins are located you may not have much choice but make sure NCL knows of

your companions traveling with you and would like to relatively close in location.