I've been Naughty - Will RCI Punish Me?

When the December 2018 cruises came out. The only ship available to book was Symphony. At the end of 2018, we are going to travel from Australia to Florida and wanted to do a cruise on an Oasis class ship. Our criteria were,

• Star Class Aqua Theatre Cabins,
  • Pre-Christmas cruise - so we don't pay the holiday tax, leaving as late as possible in December, but not having Christmas on the boat
  • Stopping in St. Maarten (don't care where else it stops)

The day the Symphony bookings opened, I was on line trying to make a booking. The Australian RCI web site didn't have any room definitions, but guessing what the price was I only ever got white screens when trying to complete a booking, a total fail.

However, on the US based web site, I got all the way to the end and made a booking for a cruise that met all my criteria. So I booked it on the US web site in USD (US Dollar).

While the AUD (Australian Dollar) web site now shows the A1 cabin as available, there is a 19% difference between what I booked (converted from USD to AUD - based on credit card exchange rate) to what is available now - ie, over AUD4000 difference, so I want to keep my USD booking, and just pay the exchange rate fees when I make payments. AUD$4K is better in my pocket than theirs. It will help pay for the airfares.

So was I naughty by booking and paying on the USD based web site? What will happen if I ring up Royal Caribbean Australia and ask for help (I still don't have any paperwork e-mailed through). Will they take the room and the price that I have booked off me, and charge the current rate? The deposit has already hit my credit card.

All passengers have correct C&A numbers attached to the booking which shows our Australian home addresses and Australian passports.

In the past I tried ringing Celebrity in the US to get help with a Celebrity booking and they refused to help me. (I wanted to move my room to a suite.) They said I had to wait until Monday and call the Australia number, all Australian bookings must use the Australia number, so not sure if this is an RCI thing or just a Celebrity thing.

Would I be better off to find a US based travel agent to take over my booking? (Is that possible for bookings I made myself on the web site? How do I do that?)

Thanks, Hopefully I haven't broken too many RCI rules.

I can't answer any of your questions, but I have to say.. Genius! It doesn't sound like anything unethical to me. Sounds like you found a legitimate way to save money.

When the December 2018 cruises came out. The only ship available to book was Symphony. At the end of 2018, we are going to travel from Australia to Florida and wanted to do a cruise on an Oasis class ship. Our criteria were,

• Star Class Aqua Theatre Cabins,
  • Pre-Christmas cruise - so we don't pay the holiday tax, leaving as late as possible in December, but not having Christmas on the boat
  • Stopping in St. Maarten (don't care where else it stops)

The day the Symphony bookings opened, I was on line trying to make a booking. The Australian RCI web site didn't have any room definitions, but guessing what the price was I only ever got white screens when trying to complete a booking, a total fail.

However, on the US based web site, I got all the way to the end and made a booking for a cruise that met all my criteria. So I booked it on the US web site in USD (US Dollar).

While the AUD (Australian Dollar) web site now shows the A1 cabin as available, there is a 19% difference between what I booked (converted from USD to AUD - based on credit card exchange rate) to what is available now - ie, over AUD4000 difference, so I want to keep my USD booking, and just pay the exchange rate fees when I make payments. AUD$4K is better in my pocket than theirs. It will help pay for the airfares.

So was I naughty by booking and paying on the USD based web site? What will happen if I ring up Royal Caribbean Australia and ask for help (I still don't have any paperwork e-mailed through). Will they take the room and the price that I have booked off me, and charge the current rate? The deposit has already hit my credit card.

All passengers have correct C&A numbers attached to the booking which shows our Australian home addresses and Australian passports.

In the past I tried ringing Celebrity in the US to get help with a Celebrity booking and they refused to help me. (I wanted to move my room to a suite.) They said I had to wait until Monday and call the Australia number, all Australian bookings must use the Australia number, so not sure if this is an RCI thing or just a Celebrity thing.

Would I be better off to find a US based travel agent to take over my booking? (Is that possible for bookings I made myself on the web site? How do I do that?)

Thanks, Hopefully I haven't broken too many RCI rules.

I seriously doubt if you are the first person who has done what you have done.....and Royal probably has rules and procedures about this. I can't say how you will be affected, but don't think that what you have done is 'unique' or 'an act of genius'. Royal has been in the cruise industry long enough and probably seen everything imaginable as far as bookings go and trying to get the best rates possible.

Sorry can't help you, but keep in mind US prices don't include gratuity and AU price does.

I wondered about that as well, but as Star Class includes Complimentary Gratuities, it shouldn't make any difference.

But don't get me started on what an Australian thinks about what Complimentary means - There's a reason why they had to include it in the Base fare for Australians :D

I have always wondered about US boats being based in Australia for the summer. Does everyone get paid more because they know they aint getting an extra dime out of anyone. Or does the crew fight not to sail on Australian based itineraries?

... but don't think that what you have done is 'unique' or 'an act of genius'...

I never wanted it to be an act of genius, I just wanted to get an A1 cabin booked before they disappeared. By the end of the first day, the price (even in USD) had gone up a lot and also the other A1 had been booked but has since been released and is now available.

I had similar situation happen: I accidentally booked a weekend sale price for France market on RCI web page (note it was their own pages!), and paid the deposit. I only noted it was not right after the booking confirmation came out in French to my email. Price was in EUR and the booking process was in English, which is norm for the Finns. SO nothing else looked different, only the confirmation came out in wrong language.

I called the Scandinavian RCI office on Monday, and they said I should not have been ABLE to book a French sale price and I should not have DONE that and that it had to be cancelled. Our market price was abt 500 EUR higher for the same cabin type. I argued against using all power of mighty- European Union Consumer Protection Laws and they finally gave up and I got to keep my cruise. As it was not my fault to begin with. If I should not have been done that, they should not let me go to their French pages from Finnish ip address.

So i got my cruise with the discounted French price, but they also insisted, that I would be under the cancellation / refund rules for France, and not for Scandinavia which was not a big deal, since I was not going to cancel anyways. Obviously different marketing sections have different rules and customer protection regulations, even though we are all in EU.

Your situation becomes tricky only if you would have to insist on something under the Australian customer protection, I believe. If you can accept the American rules, I dont think they mind - but I cannot be sure.

Op, just curious as I have tried to book via the US before (I am in the UK) but have stumbled at the point of inputting personal details as it would only accept a US address which obviously I don't have...How did you get past that?

I got the same, but I had logged in with my C&A account and at the bottom of the screen was a button labelled hold booking. I wanted to hold it anyway to discuss with my wife to see if she was happy with the ports. Later that night when I went back to the booking to pay the deposit, it showed up as a held booking, under My Cruises. I added my families names and C&A numbers and it never asked me for my home address. I guess it took it from the C&A details. Now its listed under Purchased Cruises.

When I paid the deposit, I put in my Australian address under billing details - which I assume they check with the CC company.

I got the same, but I had logged in with my C&A account and at the bottom of the screen was a button labelled hold booking. I wanted to hold it anyway to discuss with my wife to see if she was happy with the ports. Later that night when I went back to the booking to pay the deposit, it showed up as a held booking, under My Cruises. I added my families names and C&A numbers and it never asked me for my home address. I guess it took it from the C&A details. Now its listed under Purchased Cruises.

When I paid the deposit, I put in my Australian address under billing details - which I assume they check with the CC company.

Cool thanks for the info, I'll give it a shot on my next booking and see if it works

I added my families names and C&A numbers and it never asked me for my home address.

There may be an issue when it comes to final payment. The couple of times I booked under out of market site, everything seemed the same until another address entry was needed at final payment - then it wanted a local market address. But, the site doesn't seem to check the address in any way so you could put down anything - try 1600 Pennsylvania Ave, Washington DC. 20520.;)

I have always wondered about US boats being based in Australia for the summer. Does everyone get paid more because they know they aint getting an extra dime out of anyone. Or does the crew fight not to sail on Australian based itineraries?

The gratuities are automatically charged to the passenger's onboard account daily, so the ship being in Australia has no impact on the crew. Some people will tip beyond this amount, some not.

[*]Star Class Aqua Theatre Cabins,

I believe the A1 aqua theatre cabins are no longer star class after april of 2018. They will be sky class cabins.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

I believe the A1 aqua theatre cabins are no longer star class after april of 2018. They will be sky class cabins.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

When the cabin config first came out, the A1 / A2 weren't listed as star class, but within a couple of days they were included again, and when you book the rooms, under details, it still lists it as a star class room for the Dec 2018 sailing.

I am Australian and book regularly (whenever the deal is better) with USA travel agents. I would transfer the booking to a USA TA as they will give you added perks on top of what you already have and then deal with any issues.

I wondered about that as well, but as Star Class includes Complimentary Gratuities, it shouldn't make any difference.

But don't get me started on what an Australian thinks about what Complimentary means - There's a reason why they had to include it in the Base fare for Australians :D

Sorry but anyone who cruises and doesnt tip the hard working staff should be ashamed of themselves. I am an Aussie and have done about 12 Pacific cruises since 1990. It was an unwritten rule back then that you tip your food and drink waiters and cabin steward. As they say when in Rome do as the Romans do. When on a cruise ship do the right thing and dont make it look like Aussies are cheapskates. If gratuities arent prepayed do the right thing and reward those hard workers. Also I always cruise NCL and always ring the USA and book directly with them. Cruise companys rarely send out itinerary these days. Its all downloaded on their website

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

I have just completed my first cruise via a US Travel Agent without issue indeed when we booked the next cruise on board RC transffered it over to that TA. 20% cheaper with added goodies and a level of service you can't get in the UK

I don't think you can ask royal Australia for help. I think you'll have to contact the US customer service. That's the only catch I can think of.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You can't call Royal in Australia anyway, it all redirects to the call centre in Guatemala

You can't call Royal in Australia anyway, it all redirects to the call centre in Guatemala

Thats a fair point but they can see where you are calling from. I was paranoid that my booking would be pulled but even the guy on the ship just put Florida when I said I live in the UK saying the TA would add there address

I do not think you have been 'naughty'.

I am annoyed by companies that think that the place you live entitles them to charge you a much larger price or different conditions. This happens to us in Aus far more than it should.

The internet uncovers the differences.

I understand that they charge what they think the market will pay but good on you for finding a better deal. Hope all goes well. If they stuff you up make a huge fuss!!!!!!!!