Pre Cruise Miami Hotel

BeachyGirl64

We're flying to Miami in December and wanted to hang out pre-cruise for a couple of days. Can anyone suggest a hotel with a really nice pool, within walking distance to restaurants and shops for no more than $250.00 a night? Or at least suggest a good area to look at for hotels.

Also, could you recommend any tours or attractions for someone who has never stayed in Miami before?

In downtown Miami the Mary Brickell area (Hampton Inn, Homewood Suites, etc.) is very popular with cruisers and offers many local dining/shopping/nightlife options. The Bayside Market area is also popular - lots of hop-on/off bus and other tours leaving from there.

Other popular hotels in downtown include the Hyatt, Intercontinental, Doubletree, and various Marriott options.

Another fun area in Miami is Coconut Grove - not as close to POM, but cabs and Uber are cheap and the distances are not far.

You might look at staying in South Beach (the "Miami" you see in the movies and TV shows), but not sure your budget will support it?

Have a great cruise! :cool:

First poster had it right. It all depends what you want out of the stay. Given that you are going on a Caribbean cruise, maybe being by the beach is not a priority. If that is the case Downtown Miami/Brickell area is the place to stay. Its easy to get around walking or using the free metromover system. Tons of options for drinks and restaurants around there plus its a hub for the tour buses, and two new museums in downtown, along with other things to do such as Bayside Market Place and Brickell City Centre.

Miami Beach is another option, but with that price point in December you might not get a hotel with a nice pool, but the beach is always near by. Coconut Grove is also a good suggestion, its a nice walkable area of town, its sort of like a small "downtown" with some things to do.

I always say, unless going to the beach or nightlife is the #1 priority, downtown Miami or Brickell is the place to stay. You can always take a quick Uber or bus ride over to Miami Beach.

Things to do: Do have latin food somewhere, and ask for suggestions from locals. If its a nice day take a tour boat ride of Biscayne Bay. Do go to Lincoln Road at some point in the evening to walk around, grab a drink or dessert. if you enjoy art Wynwood is a must.

First poster had it right. It all depends what you want out of the stay. Given that you are going on a Caribbean cruise, maybe being by the beach is not a priority. If that is the case Downtown Miami/Brickell area is the place to stay. Its easy to get around walking or using the free metromover system. Tons of options for drinks and restaurants around there plus its a hub for the tour buses, and two new museums in downtown, along with other things to do such as Bayside Market Place and Brickell City Centre.

Miami Beach is another option, but with that price point in December you might not get a hotel with a nice pool, but the beach is always near by. Coconut Grove is also a good suggestion, its a nice walkable area of town, its sort of like a small "downtown" with some things to do.

I always say, unless going to the beach or nightlife is the #1 priority, downtown Miami or Brickell is the place to stay. You can always take a quick Uber or bus ride over to Miami Beach.

Things to do: Do have latin food somewhere, and ask for suggestions from locals. If its a nice day take a tour boat ride of Biscayne Bay. Do go to Lincoln Road at some point in the evening to walk around, grab a drink or dessert. if you enjoy art Wynwood is a must.

I'm working with a Military Travel Club so I get a discount on a wide variety of hotels and needed know the best areas to look at.

I'm working with a Military Travel Club so I get a discount on a wide variety of hotels and needed know the best areas to look at.

When helping my son book travel, I have found that booking the military rate right through the Marriott website to be much cheaper that anything Military Travel Club ever shows.

If you are looking for the Brickell area, they always have great military discounts at the JW Marriott to the Marriott Marquis.