Venice Transportation Help

Karber

DH and I have never been to Venice, and are feeling nervous about how to get from the cruise ship to our B & B, then to the airport for departure in September. We disembark from Oceania Riviera after an overnight in Venice on board, and are staying at the Rialto 1092 for one night post cruise. All we know is that it is located very close to the San Silvestro vaporetto stop. What is the best (and most economical) way to get there with possibly 3 pieces of luggage? Also, what's the best (and most economical) way to the airport the next day for a 1:00 PM flight? Thanks in advance to all you Venice experts out there!

Karen

Venice is never really "easy" with luggage, but what I would do in your situation is:

1. Get off the ship and claim your luggage.

2. Take the People Mover from the port to Piazzale Roma.

3. At Piazzale Roma take the #1 Vaporetto, which will make a stop at your San Silvestro pier.

4. Obtain directions from your B&B regarding how to reach them from the vaporetto pier.

This assumes you can manage your luggage well enough to get it on and off the vaporetto. Usually there is a ramp, but you may have to lift it up slightly, and/or be able to stow it on the luggage rack on the vaporetto.

You can look at a map of the vaporetto routes at the link below. The black line is the #1.

http://www.mapaplan.com/travel-map/venice-italy-top-tourist-attractions-printable-city-street-plan/high-resolution/venice-top-tourist-attractions-map-03-Water-bus-transit-lines-stations-Vaporetto-Actv-public-transport-planner-high-resolution.jpg

To get to the airport, you will reverse the process, taking the vaporetto back to Piazzale Roma. Here you can pick up one of the express buses to the airport. More info on this service here:

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/venice_airport_buses.htm

I think you mean the Rialto 1082 B&B, not 1092. It's 50 meters from the vaporetto dock in Calle del Luganegher, Campo San Silvestro. As I recall, there aren't any bridges to cross between the San Silvestro stop and the hotel, and there are some reasonably good restaurants nearby on Riva del Vin on the Grand Canal. My favorite near you is Carampane (ask at the desk when you check in for recommendations).

Venice is never really "easy" with luggage, but what I would do in your situation is:

3. At Piazzale Roma take the #1 Vaporetto, which will make a stop at your San Silvestro pier.

4. Obtain directions from your B&B regarding how to reach them from the vaporetto pier.

This assumes you can manage your luggage well enough to get it on and off the vaporetto. Usually there is a ramp, but you may have to lift it up slightly, and/or be able to stow it on the luggage rack on the vaporetto.

You can look at a map of the vaporetto routes at the link below. The black line is the #1.

http://www.mapaplan.com/travel-map/venice-italy-top-tourist-attractions-printable-city-street-plan/high-resolution/venice-top-tourist-attractions-map-03-Water-bus-transit-lines-stations-Vaporetto-Actv-public-transport-planner-high-resolution.jpg

To get to the airport, you will reverse the process, taking the vaporetto back to Piazzale Roma. Here you can pick up one of the express buses to the airport. More info on this service here:

I agree, this is your only real option, other than an expensive water taxi. Venice and luggage don't get along. However, if you are not in a hurry, take your time and enjoy the experience. The only thing I can add is that time of day is very important in Venice. We stayed there 4 days pre-cruise and mornings were very slow as were evenings. Mid day was crazy busy and packed. If I were in your position, I would be the first off ship. When you arrive at the hotel store your luggage if your room is not ready. Luggage goes much easier if the Vaporetto is not packed and people are not pushing you.

Another option is to take the People Mover to Piazzale Roma and leave two suitcases in the luggage deposit just next to the PM. Then you can handle one piece of luggage and since you have to get back to Piazzale Roma to take the bus to Marco Polo airport, you pick up you suitcases and are ready to go.

http://www.trasbagagli.it/en/pg/view/53/luggage-storage-venice-piazzale-roma-airport

Did you check your B&B web site? Most lodging web sites provide detailed info and maps.

Otherwise cruisemom's info is excellent.

If you can't manage your luggage there is a LEFT LUGGAGE facility where you could store a suitcase or two. It''s located very close to the People Mover exit. Around 8E per bag for 24 hrs.

For a 1pm flight you should be at the airport at 10:15/10:30am. When you take the vaporetto back to Piazzale Roma, catch the ATVO airport express bus. Its like a greyhound bus with a luggage hold underneath, about 8E for the 20 minute ride.

Cruisemom42 says it well (and accurately). But we will reiterate what others have mentioned which is you must be able to handle all your own luggage...with minimal difficulty. You will have several walks (of some distance)....although everything is relatively flat. But you must always keep your luggage in hand (theft is not unknown in Italy). Rolling 3 pieces on a vaporetto may (we emphasize "May") subject you to a small extra charge. But you would just use a normal vaporetto ticket (or a timed pass) and let the staff on the vaporetto make the first move...if they want to charge you ( unlikely) a few extra Euros for the 3rd bag. Like many things in Italy...you just roll those bags on (like you own the boat) :). As to the walks, you might have a shuttle from your ship that will drop you near the People Mover Station...or you may have to walk (the amount of walking depending on docking position). Once at the Piazale Roma People Mover Station you have perhaps a 200 yard (best guess) walk across the large square to get to the vaporetto (ACTV) pier. And then you have the walk to your B&B once you get off the Vaporetto. This is the normal way of doing things in Venice.....which is why some cruisers (including moi) generally stay in the Piazale Roma :).

As to the airport, we would suggest reversing the process and taking the Vaporetto back to the Piazale Roma where you can get the fast (and iinexpensive) ATVO Express Bus to the airport. Another option is to use the Alialaguna Water bus (I think its the Blu Line) or spend the really big bucks and get a Water Taxi from the closest dock (your B&B can make the arrangements and guide you to the proper dock) to the airport dock (this will cost you over 100€.

Hank

I think you mean the Rialto 1082 B&B, not 1092. It's 50 meters from the vaporetto dock in Calle del Luganegher, Campo San Silvestro. As I recall, there aren't any bridges to cross between the San Silvestro stop and the hotel, and there are some reasonably good restaurants nearby on Riva del Vin on the Grand Canal. My favorite near you is Carampane (ask at the desk when you check in for recommendations).

You're right! It is Rialto 1082. Typo on my part! Their map doesn't show any bridges, so counting on that. Thanks for the restaurant info!

Another option is to take the People Mover to Piazzale Roma and leave two suitcases in the luggage deposit just next to the PM. Then you can handle one piece of luggage and since you have to get back to Piazzale Roma to take the bus to Marco Polo airport, you pick up you suitcases and are ready to go.

http://www.trasbagagli.it/en/pg/view/53/luggage-storage-venice-piazzale-roma-airport

I'll second treesah ... just spend a few euros and leave the luggage (except for one bag) at the left luggage place in Piazzale Roma, which you can pick up on the way to the airport (if you take ATVO from Piazzale Roma)... it will make your life much easier...

Thanks for the step by step plan! Just what we need!

Thanks for this recommendation. This might make the most sense for us. Easy to live out of a carry-on for one night!

This is really the best option. Pack what you need for a day/night into one bag, unless there's some pressing need to lug around all three pieces of luggage.

It's around 5E to store each bag IIRC -- There a few locations @P. Roma to do this.

Venice is not really ideal for packing around a bunch of luggage.

Another thing to consider would be to purchase a 24hr vaporetto pass during your visit -- If you think you'll be using the vaporetto more than twice to/from your hotel/P. Roma.

We are a party of 4, arriving into Venice on the Viking Star. We would like to know who u would recommend for a PRIVATE WATER TAXI, from the cruise pier to our hotel on Venice island. We know it will cost at least 100e, but it is worth the price for the convenience.

Thanks

We are a party of 4, arriving into Venice on the Viking Star. We would like to know who u would recommend for a PRIVATE WATER TAXI, from the cruise pier to our hotel on Venice island. We know it will cost at least 100e, but it is worth the price for the convenience.

Thanks

I haven't used them but there is a water taxi co-op; I read about it on the Venice for Visitors web site.

https://www.motoscafivenezia.it/eng/

Another thing to consider would be to purchase a 24hr vaporetto pass during your visit -- If you think you'll be using the vaporetto more than twice to/from your hotel/P. Roma.

Yes, that's the plan. Since our ship overnights in Venice, we'll actually get the 48 hour pass. Thanks for the info!

Maybe you can help me as well. Our B&B is near Fundamente Nove stop. I am planning to take Allilaguna from airport or taxi as plan B. and same Alilaguna boat from Hotel to cruise Port. If we want to go to Murano and Burano what is best and cheapest option from F.Nove station?

Maybe you can help me as well. Our B&B is near Fundamente Nove stop. I am planning to take Allilaguna from airport or taxi as plan B. and same Alilaguna boat from Hotel to cruise Port. If we want to go to Murano and Burano what is best and cheapest option from F.Nove station?

We had a multi day vaporetto pass and followed instructions in the Venice for Visitors site, posted in previous thread. http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/venice-islands-tour-murano.htm

As I recall, Fondamente Nove (F. Nove) is the last stop before the vaporettos cross the lagoon over to Murano/Burano, so the cheapest option is by vaporetto. I think Line No. 12 goes to both Murano and Burano from F. Nove.

Thanks

We used this water taxi company. They were great. Good communication when our ship was an hour late arriving. We took them from ship to hotel and hotel to airport. Yes it was expensive but it was so worth it. We had a ton of luggage and had just been through a very long 12 day port intensive cruise. We felt like royalty. One of best memories was standing at the back of the water taxi and seeing Venice at night. Sometimes it is great to splurge on things.

As I recall, Fondamente Nove (F. Nove) is the last stop before the vaporettos cross the lagoon over to Murano/Burano, so the cheapest option is by vaporetto. I think Line No. 12 goes to both Murano and Burano from F. Nove.

Thank you. Vaporetto and a;lilaguna its not the same thing,right?

The Alilaguna boats and the vaporetti are two separate waterbus systems.

Alilaguna may be worthwhile for some people, especially going to and from the airport via water, but the vaporetti system is more extensive within Venice itself and thus is generally more useful for sightseeing.

We got to Murano via a fast water taxi that was free offered by the largest glass creation store in Murano. We were picked up at St. Marks. When we finished there, we used our vaparetto passes to get back to Venice.

We used this water taxi company. They were great. Good communication when our ship was an hour late arriving. We took them from ship to hotel and hotel to airport. Yes it was expensive but it was so worth it. We had a ton of luggage and had just been through a very long 12 day port intensive cruise. We felt like royalty. One of best memories was standing at the back of the water taxi and seeing Venice at night. Sometimes it is great to splurge on things.

Thanks for your info.. that is what we want to do. I will contact the, closer to our sailing.

The Alilaguna boats and the vaporetti are two separate waterbus systems.

Alilaguna may be worthwhile for some people, especially going to and from the airport via water, but the vaporetti system is more extensive within Venice itself and thus is generally more useful for sightseeing.

thank you.