$7.95 Room Service Charge

Prefect example of the law of unintended consequences.

Yep - there will be some who reduce the room service charge from weekly gratuities, others will get together to order room service, and some will order even more than they did before to feel like they are getting something for the charge now.

But RCCL just needs to ride out the next couple of months and then this will be accepted as the new normal. Transitions are tough for companies like RCCL with high expectations from their customers. Their problem is the way they rolled this out - could have done such a better job.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Nope didn't miss that part. Of course they will cut staff back. This is a savings for them any way you look at it.

Interesting, you know this how? Do you know that RS already operates with a very small staff. The majority working the delivery are mdr, SR, WJ and other food service staff which fill in. I don't see rci getting rid of any of those people. Maybe they want to operate RS with just the skeletal staff they have assigned to that.

I think that the overriding consensus is not the charge but the short notice most changes have at least a 30 day lead time maybe that could have been handled better and their advertising changed to coincide with the release of this information. There is also a thread on here re the spirits and how certain brands are disappearing so after changing the drinks packages they are now changing the brands available http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2470712 Not really the way forward if this is correct

And yet, I saw a news bit just last night that a lot of airlines are now back to offering inflight meals.

Yeah, the company I work for is going to offer free meals if you travel from coast to coast, but not every flight. I/m sure there will be a flight time limit.

I see the new Room Service menu has been posted on here....

Out of interest, could someone post a copy of the old menu please?

Im on Indy in May and just looking to see if I prefer the free old one, or pay for the new one.

Ta

Regardless of if you use or what time you want to use this service that was provided at a set price and changes with passengers that have paid in full and have not been notified and just another example of nickel and diming passengers and I feel its not good for business.

Thank you for your response.

Well, then, your price only doubles, from $4 to $8.

We only order continental breakfast when we have an early tour, especially when sailing in the Mediterranean.

It's true...read today's royal caribbean blog

OOPS...guess I quoted the wrong post..sorry about that.

Edited by sharpasice

That's just it exactly...if I agree to pay XXX amount of $ for ABC and D services etc...when as long as I still pay the same $XXX then I still expect the same ABC and D....If I booked/paid with free room service, I'd like to sail with the free room service....

I see the new Room Service menu has been posted on here....

Out of interest, could someone post a copy of the old menu please?

Im on Indy in May and just looking to see if I prefer the free old one, or pay for the new one.

Ta

I thought I read this entire thread but I can not seem to find that new room service menu..can you link or advise where you found it?

Thanks in advance....

I guess the way around it is this... invite the 10 rooms around you to order room service together and split the $7.95 charge 10 ways = $0.80 each.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Roll call for room service, I am in [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I usually never use room service but I've talked to many crew members and it amazes me how many people do not tip the servers. If some of this $$ is going to them, then I'm alright with it.

Nothing about this charge indicates anything goes to the crew.

Not trying to be a jerk or anything but the cruise line still provides you with your meals. You just may have to go to them instead of them coming to you.

I just don't see the reason for the huge backlash. But that's me. I'm not all cosmopolitan and all that.

Cruising is a business. Just the way it works with a business. Cut overhead, make more money. Lose customers. More will come to fill in. I have no doubt.

I can understand the service charge for midnight to 5a but having breakfast in your room in the morning, it takes the joy of just relaxing. We always look forward to 2 or 3 times a week breakfast on the balcony. It is a big treat for us. My husband has a difficult time walking at times and what better way to start off the day.

The convenience fee has been introduced to better manage the high demand of this convenient service.
Soooo, this says 'Lots of people want this service. We'd really rather you go to the buffet instead, so we are charging you a fee to discourage you from using room service.

Nothing about this charge indicates anything goes to the crew.
Yeah, it does: "This convenience fee includes gratuity, and any additional gratuity is at our guests’ discretion."

, the ship will just do donuts in the ocean for the requisite number of days.

I seriously cannot stop laughing at that for some odd reason, THAT would be far worse than an $8 service charge for lunch.

"how was the cruise?"

"well... we did donuts for nine days.....i got a keychain, though!"

I don't know what percentage of people use room service for breakfast,but the easy way to get back at RCI is everybody on board to order continental breakfast via room service every morning as this is free ,as a form of protest