$7.95 Room Service Charge

Room Service is an optional choice, just like choosing a Speciallty Restaurant. Many perks we have enjoyed in the past have gone along the way side over the years, but that's a fact of life now. Norwegian has had a $7.95 surcharge for any room service order other than continental breakfast for awhile. But that's just the surcharge for no matter what you order. Still pretty cheap, if you ask me. If I'm still hungry late in evening, I go up to the buffet, or hit one of the other complimentary restaurants.
Okay first thing first, as you can see from the post above you, many people who are disabled rely on room service so it is not "optional" for everyone. Secondly, on RCI the buffet closes from anywhere between 8.30 - 9.30pm, so if you want something "later in the evening" as you put it, you can't just run up to the buffet as it will be closed. As for "one of the other complimentary restaurants" have you ever been on RCI? The only other complimentary place to eat late at night is Sorrentos/Cafe promenade and it's not a restaurant. You can only get pizza or cold food like sandwiches. But not if you're on the Jewel of the seas - there is not one place on that ship that you can get food after the windjammer closes, so you're only option is room service. I'm sure if there was somewhere open all night like O'Sheehan, people wouldn't be as annoyed with the charge.

I can't believe the outrage I'm reading in this thread! Room Service is an optional choice, just like choosing a Speciallty Restaurant. Many perks we have enjoyed in the past have gone along the way side over the years, but that's a fact of life now. Norwegian has had a $7.95 surcharge for any room service order other than continental breakfast for awhile. But that's just the surcharge for no matter what you order. Still pretty cheap, if you ask me. If I'm still hungry late in evening, I go up to the buffet, or hit one of the other complimentary restaurants. (Actually, there are more free options later in evening on NCL than RCCL offers) So, chill everyone! If you absolutely NEED room service, I'm sure $7.95 won't break any of us! It's still a cruise, and isn't that better than staying home??

I think the issue is the fact that when people booked , my self included the room service was described as complementary , In other words for no fee . Now we will not be offered what was advertised .

And for some people the $7.95 fee each day for a 2 week cruise could break them , many people may have chosen to book with RCI over NCL because of the complementary room service.

while on holiday you want to be pampered and treat yourself to something you wouldnt have at home such as room service.

I for one hate the buffet experience and tend to avoid it as much as possible, all the having to go backwards and forwards because they have no trays its ridiculous also being in a cabin on deck 2 its a bit of a trek for your breakfast in the morning , having it brought to your room and being able to eat it in your pyjamas is something many look forward to .

Did I miss something? The sticky thread at the top of the Royal board announcing the RS charge is now gone. Did CC get bought off?

Stickies, that are news items, only stay "stuck" 24 hours, then they fall down to the regular threads until someone brings them back to the top.

Okay first thing first, as you can see from the post above you, many people who are disabled rely on room service so it is not "optional" for everyone. Secondly, on RCI the buffet closes from anywhere between 8.30 - 9.30pm, so if you want something "later in the evening" as you put it, you can't just run up to the buffet as it will be closed. As for "one of the other complimentary restaurants" have you ever been on RCI? The only other complimentary place to eat late at night is Sorrentos/Cafe promenade and it's not a restaurant. You can only get pizza or cold food like sandwiches. But not if you're on the Jewel of the seas - there is not one place on that ship that you can get food after the windjammer closes, so you're only option is room service. I'm sure if there was somewhere open all night like O'Sheehan, people wouldn't be as annoyed with the charge.

Yes, I've cruised Royal, and I did mention that NCL has more late Eve options. I just don't see how $7.95 surcharge should inflame so many people. When I booked my last cruise on NCL, it was advertised that my beverage package could be used on Harvest Caye, but that changed too. Was I happy? No. But I dealt with it. Chill people.

I think the issue is the fact that when people booked , my self included the room service was described as complementary , In other words for no fee . Now we will not be offered what was advertised .
I just had a wicked thought. Maybe this was the plan from the start: To introduce the additional charge in this manner to focus attention on HOW it was rolled out ("How dare you change this and make me pay it even though I booked before you changed it!!"), giving aggrieved passengers individual attention by way of guest recovery, compensating them for their disappointment and making them feel heard and appreciated... And magically that dampens the uproar about the fee, itself!

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

. Was I happy? No. But I dealt with it. Chill people.

Agree.... time to chill. Apparently this policy is going to be implemented, and yes another change and another benefit slipping away.

On the whole this mostly does not effect us. Nor does it effect most people on this thread. We mostly use room service for continental breakfast and that is unchanged.

The biggest losers are probably the folks that have some handicapping conditions. The other group that loses are those of us who occasionally get sick on a cruise and for 1 or 2 days need dinners delivered to our rooms.

The winners RCL mainly, and also those of you who would like more variety in room service and are willing to pay for it.

Honestly, there are so many of us who see those trays outside rooms with lots of food on it, and we scratch our heads in disbelief. We will go on, and no doubt will continue to enjoy our cruises!

Best of luck all!

Mike and Doris

:cool: :cool:

My brother called RCL this yesterday after we told him about a the new fee room service. He was upset as he was under the impression room service was included for our family trip. We leave on our cruise March 31st and the representative at first seemed confused but then came back and confirmed three times room service Meals are included for your cruises aside 12 to 5 the fee is 3.95. My brother did say it was extremely hard to understand the rcl rep that's why he asked three times.

i was in haven and balcony last year and balcony def got charged room service fee and during standard day

Agree.... time to chill. Apparently this policy is going to be implemented, and yes another change and another benefit slipping away.

On the whole this mostly does not effect us. Nor does it effect most people on this thread. We mostly use room service for continental breakfast and that is unchanged.

The biggest losers are probably the folks that have some handicapping conditions. The other group that loses are those of us who occasionally get sick on a cruise and for 1 or 2 days need dinners delivered to our rooms.

The winners RCL mainly, and also those of you who would like more variety in room service and are willing to pay for it.

Honestly, there are so many of us who see those trays outside rooms with lots of food on it, and we scratch our heads in disbelief. We will go on, and no doubt will continue to enjoy our cruises!

Best of luck all!

Mike and Doris

I had hot breakfast room service every port stop day on the balcony and observed many others doing so as well.

While certainly 7.95 won't break most people, it's yet another Complimentary Inclusion being taken away.

At a certain point I don't get how cheap a cruise is, if aside from alcohol, it no longer "feels" like a mostly all inclusive experience.

What are cruises known for? Complimentary inclusive amazing food everywhere 24/7. Just my opinion but the Contemporary lines are chipping away at one of the key supporting legs (complimentary food) of what makes cruising so attractive.

As somebody who works in the industry, I can say that "free" room service and a "free" hot room service breakfast is (was) a key selling point when booking RCCL cruises. A key differential versus say NCL.

Best of luck all!

Mike and Doris

I might add that when I first read about Royal charging a surcharge for room service, the first thing I did was notify my son, who will be sailing the Oasis for his honeymoon on April 2 to warn him. We sailed the Oasis with him 2 years ago, and he and his children used room service every day. He said, "no problem". He is new to cruising, so he accepted it easily. Those of us that cruised for years remember many perks that have disappeared over the years. Remember the midnight buffets? The past cruiser cocktail parties? I could go on and on. I understand about the hardship of those handicapped needing room service, but I also understand that this is the way things are going everywhere. Have you not noticed that cruise lines are pushing their pay-for restaurants and other services more? I actually find that problem more so on Royal. I have sailed on 4 different cruise lines over the years, and short of booking an all-inclusive luxury line, I am paying more and more for services that were once free. But I love cruising. Plain and simple. And I will continue to cruise as long as I am able.

I might add that when I first read about Royal charging a surcharge for room service, the first thing I did was notify my son, who will be sailing the Oasis for his honeymoon on April 2 to warn him. We sailed the Oasis with him 2 years ago, and he and his children used room service every day. He said, "no problem". He is new to cruising, so he accepted it easily. Those of us that cruised for years remember many perks that have disappeared over the years. Remember the midnight buffets? The past cruiser cocktail parties? I could go on and on. I understand about the hardship of those handicapped needing room service, but I also understand that this is the way things are going everywhere. Have you not noticed that cruise lines are pushing their pay-for restaurants and other services more? I actually find that problem more so on Royal. I have sailed on 4 different cruise lines over the years, and short of booking an all-inclusive luxury line, I am paying more and more for services that were once free. But I love cruising. Plain and simple. And I will continue to cruise as long as I am able.

To be fair there is a breaking point.

The cutback of services on Contemporary (NCL, RCCL and Carnival) cruise lines is why I won't sail with them anymore. If Premium (Celebrity, Princess and HAL) cruise lines go the same way, I'll start stretching for Deluxe cruises on Oceania and Azamara, ship in ship on mainstream (MSC's Yacht Club or The Haven on NCL) or simply start going to upscale AI resorts like Secrets, Sandals and Couples instead of cruising.

I sort of prefer the direction MSC has gone by offering a different cost cruise "experience" paid up front. I dunno though, even that still ruins the egalitarian nature of cruises.

Edited by bamelin

Is this just Australia or UK? We are going on Allure in October....I hope this is not happening in the US??????

does this apply to suite guests too? does anyone know?

thank you

melissa

At a certain point I don't get how cheap a cruise is, if aside from alcohol, it no longer "feels" like a mostly all inclusive experience.

What are cruises known for? Complimentary inclusive amazing food everywhere 24/7. Just my opinion but the Contemporary lines are chipping away at one of the key supporting legs (complimentary food) of what makes cruising so attractive.

You are trying to live or revive the past - not going to happen - that ship has sailed. Mainstream (including the ones you categorize as Premium - apparently you fell for the marketing tag line) stopped being all inclusive 10+ years ago. Egalitarian? When was that?:o

I can't believe the outrage I'm reading in this thread! Room Service is an optional choice, just like choosing a Speciallty Restaurant. Many perks we have enjoyed in the past have gone along the way side over the years, but that's a fact of life now. Norwegian has had a $7.95 surcharge for any room service order other than continental breakfast for awhile. But that's just the surcharge for no matter what you order. Still pretty cheap, if you ask me. If I'm still hungry late in evening, I go up to the buffet, or hit one of the other complimentary restaurants. (Actually, there are more free options later in evening on NCL than RCCL offers) So, chill everyone! If you absolutely NEED room service, I'm sure $7.95 won't break any of us! It's still a cruise, and isn't that better than staying home??

Your categorization is very incorrect. As clearly shown by RCCL, room service is in the same category as the MDR, Windjammer, Park Cafe, etc. It is not a choice specialty dining.

And why is it even important to you that others "chill"?

Yes, many perks are gone. But this flawed roll out was ill conceived. The problem really isn't what they wish to move to; it is how they decided to get there.

Are you okay with them not advising booked customers of the change when they easily can? Are you okay with their advertising complimentary room service under the old guidelines full well knowing it is an incorrect, misleading promotion?

We have a bad habit of ordering room service at 11pm at night. We usually tip 8-10 dollars on room service though. My sister says the tip is included in the room service now so we dont have to tip? But I dont believe the room service charge will go towards the person who delivers the food though. So we will still end up tipping on top of that. Probably not going to order room service every night if its going to cost us 20 bucks with tip and all :(

Yes the all inclusive part of cruising is going away but I can remember back in 2004 the 1st time we went on a Voyager class ship, we paid $549 for a promenade stateroom in October. Guess what, 13 years later I can still find a pr stateroom for $549. Do you remember what a gallon of gas cost back then? Maybe milk? Ya they are adding on some charges we were not accustomed too, but cruise pricing as a whole has not inflated very much, if at all.

Are you okay with them not advising booked customers of the change when they easily can? Are you okay with their advertising complimentary room service under the old guidelines full well knowing it is an incorrect, misleading promotion?

Acceptance is the first step.

That's really surprising, because you have not yet sailed and no one can say with any certainty if their particular ship/sailing will be affected by this in the near future.

Biker, who did not think pre-complaining would yield OBC.

Well 5/6 Harmony so very very likely these changes will be there as they will be rolling them out from 3/27. Also here's the apology email I asked for with the credit on there c063426415d40f253296c20218dfce4c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was that from an email to Mike or a phone call you made to C&A. We sail on the 27th, April 7th, 22nd, and 29th. 42 days. [emoji33]

Actually looking forward to the new selections.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

Phone call to Guest Resolutions- spent a good 50-60 mins on the phone so the $50 was probably to get me to go away and shut up. She did admit that it's all she had received complaints about

Phone call to Guest Resolutions- spent a good 50-60 mins on the phone so the $50 was probably to get me to go away and shut up. She did admit that it's all she had received complaints about

😱 Not sure I have the stamina to spend that kind of time on the phone for such little return. Thanks

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

😱 Not sure I have the stamina to spend that kind of time on the phone for such little return.

You snob, $50/hr beneath you?.;p:evilsmile:

Biker, who wonders what kind of number this thread will have if/when this change actually gets implemented - T minus 9 days.

You snob, $50/hr beneath you?.;p:evilsmile:

Biker, who wonders what kind of number this thread will have if/when this change actually gets implemented - T minus 9 days.

I'd give my right knee for $50 an hour