$7.95 Room Service Charge

I'm starting to like the idea more, especially as it's one charge per order/cabin. My teens and I could get a lot of stuff and the menu is tons better.

I agree about not giving notice, but I'm not sure what else they could do. A grandfather system would be unwieldy I think. Maybe a few months more notice, although there are those who book way in advance (there's even a thread about what to pack from someone who's going in 11 months!)

I did, 15 years ago!

There were a lot of other things as well 15 years ago.

Seems like the Ovation gets the change in May. I cant wait for the Chinese market to get wind of this. You think we are angry, the Chinese love their free food and they certainly won't take kindly to this change. They have expectations and they expect them to be met. Maybe they will stage another sit in like they did a couple years back on the Quantum.

unless my remembering is misremembering - Windjammer does have trays.

But for those who might be concerned, here's something else you can pack (hahah)---- (and then just make sure to tuck it away in a drawer or closet in your stateroom so your attendant doesn't remove it during your cruise...)

https://www.amazon.com/Winco-Fast-Food-16-Inch-Black/dp/B003HEQMNK/ref=pd_lpo_328_lp_tr_t_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=7RWDYZNAMBNBF98AZ632

I sure hope they will have lots of extra carry trays in the Windjammer. Will we see cruisers heading to Windjammer in their pajamas to carry back breakfast to their stateroom (egads....) I think we can expect more rude cruisers squeezing into the elevators bringing food back to their staterooms.

It didn't happen when started this 7.95 charge nearly two years ago on NCL. Fun trivia, the new CEO at the same time decided to try to ban ANYONE from taking any food to go from any venue, including the buffet. That didn't last due to customer and cruise media uproar, proving if nothing else that it's worth complaining when the big companies give you the shaft.

Anyway, I occasionally make myself a cheese plate at the buffet and bring it back to the room for later. I've never seen anyone else doing it despite the hefty room service charge.

There are no trays.

There were a lot of other things as well 15 years ago.

Seems like the Ovation gets the change in May. I cant wait for the Chinese market to get wind of this. You think we are angry, the Chinese love their free food and they certainly won't take kindly to this change. They have expectations and they expect them to be met. Maybe they will stage another sit in like they did a couple years back on the Quantum.

I must have missed the news about a "sit in" on the Quantum (we were on the Bayonne to Barcelona leg of the Quantum Global Odyssey. We had a great time!) What was the sit in about and where did it take place?

Oh joy! My Liberty cruise is the first one with the new menu and new charges. I just love being the guinea pig. :(

UGH! I have a group of 40 people, most with mobility issues, on Liberty on April 2nd. I had been assured by four different people at RCCL that it was not being rolled out on Liberty until May. Now I don't know if that's true. :o

On CC, someone will find fault on how RCI does something no matter what.

To be fair, that is the nature of the internet in general: A lot of misdirected frustration; people bashing companies and governments for doing exactly what they're supposed to do given the rules the people themselves implicitly endorse by their purchasing behaviors and their votes.

LOL! When it becomes more expensive to cruise than take a land vacation, land wins for us.
Precisely, and my spouse and I have RETURNED to cruising because of how much the cost of our LAND vacations has increased. The grass is already greener . . .

If they had given advance notice, even 90 days I'm pretty sure most people wouldnt be upset.
I see no reason to believe that. The next change announced was announced with over six months notice. Let's see if people take it more amenably. Edited by bUU

unless my remembering is misremembering - Windjammer does have trays.

But for those who might be concerned, here's something else you can pack (hahah)---- (and then just make sure to tuck it away in a drawer or closet in your stateroom so your attendant doesn't remove it during your cruise...)

https://www.amazon.com/Winco-Fast-Food-16-Inch-Black/dp/B003HEQMNK/ref=pd_lpo_328_lp_tr_t_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=7RWDYZNAMBNBF98AZ632

You are "misremembering".

I'm starting to like the idea more, especially as it's one charge per order/cabin. My teens and I could get a lot of stuff and the menu is tons better.

I'm on the April 2 Anthem sailing. Unless I'm reading this wrong, a flat room service fee of $7.95 could be cheaper than the current ala carte pricing.

Which is exactly why I said early on in this thread that I think Royal will tweak this new room service charge down the road.

At least with the ala carte menu I remember on my Harmony cruise, there were still some free all day items. IMHO, it's just a matter of how long before they add on ala carte (per item/per plate) charges to the $7.95 delivery charge on the new menu.

~ Judy

Which is exactly why I said early on in this thread that I think Royal will tweak this new room service charge down the road.

At least with the ala carte menu I remember on my Harmony cruise, there were still some free all day items. IMHO, it's just a matter of how long before they add on ala carte (per item/per plate) charges to the $7.95 delivery charge on the new menu.

~ Judy

I see no scenario in which this doesn't happen. My wife and I usually order room service each night around 10 PM just for a hot snack that isn't crappy pizza. With this menu, we will still do that, but we will definitely be getting our money's worth (that's to say, we will likely order half the menu each time). There is no way this is sustainable for RC. We did this to some extent when we ordered after 12 AM and it was $4. For $8, you best believe we will get our value.

Since I don't see Quantum on the list, Ovation may not have this charge on Chinese sailings either.

I sure hope they will have lots of extra carry trays in the Windjammer. Will we see cruisers heading to Windjammer in their pajamas to carry back breakfast to their stateroom (egads....) I think we can expect more rude cruisers squeezing into the elevators bringing food back to their staterooms.

I have never seen trays in the Windjammer. I would bring my own, but that wouldn't help after 9 pm when the WJ closes.... where to get food then, other than room service?

I foresee them reducing all food availability in the late evening, so people have to pay for room service..

I have never seen trays in the Windjammer. I would bring my own, but that wouldn't help after 9 pm when the WJ closes.... where to get food then, other than room service?

I foresee them reducing all food availability in the late evening, so people have to pay for room service..

Every ship (don't know the details for Quantum class and Empress) has some sort of late night snack venue. Park Cafe on Vision and Radiance classes (except Jewel, which has pizza slices in the Solarium), Cafe Promenade on Voyager, Freedom, Oasis classes, Sorrento's on Majesty.