Not quite a Dream, not quite a Nightmare

rs12065

We just returned from our 7 night cruise on the Carnival Dream and have mixed feelings about the ship and the cruise.

The Pros: We loved leaving from New Orleans (first time for that) because we were able to spend 2 days in that wonderful city.

The crew of the Dream was very friendly and professional and dealt with any concerns immediately and with a smile. We asked to change cabins because our original stateroom was 6432 and was right above a smoking area so using our balcony was problematic. The young man at Guest Services, Kermit Turnquest went out of his way to find a comparable cabin and was able to give us a cabin on Deck 9 because there was a no show passenger.

We had Your Time Dining and we were fortunate to get two different wonderful Headwaiters, Jose and Novita.

The food was very good in the main dining room. The buffet on Lido Deck was average with the exception of the fresh omelets and eggs which were very good. Guys Burgers, The Pig and Anchor BBQ, the burrito bar, Mongolian Wok, The Tandoor Indian food, and the pizza station where all excellent and very popular.

Ports of Call were Montego Bay, where we went to Doctor's Cave Beach, Grand Cayman where we rented a cabana at Royal Palms Beach, and Cozumel. Since we have been to Cozumel countless times, we just walked around the port area for some shopping and then returned early to the ship which he had almost to ourselves for most of the time in port.

The Cons: Drinking water both from the taps in the stateroom and from the pitchers poured at dinner had a funky taste. This did not improve as the cruise went on.

2 days from the end of the cruise the bracket that holds the shower head broke so that the shower head slid down to about belly button height. Fortunately the shower head can be used as a hand held shower head so all we had to do was remove the head from the bracket and use it that way. An annoying, but minor inconvenience.

Although the ship has recently come out of dry dock, the carpets in the rooms were not replaced and were showing their age.

The water in the hot tubs could have been hotter but still definitely usable.

The first two days at sea were very windy, making use of balconies pretty much impossible (I know, not the ships fault). Every few seconds there was a loud banging noise which some people mentioned might have been malfunctioning stabilizers. This was particularly bothersome for the first two nights while trying to sleep. Also, the divider between the balconies was rattling like crazy, adding to the noise. When the ship left the Gulf of Mexico and entered the Caribbean the winds died down and we had smooth sailing.

Overall, we enjoyed the cruise but the Dream is not our favorite ship. The crew was terrific and the weather ended up being beautiful.

The Dream has been one of our favorite ships and we were sad when she left Port Canaveral. Sorry to hear its not one of yours. Sounds like the issues you had were handled pretty well, lucky there was a cabin you could switch with! Nice to hear most things worked out for you.

I think sometimes people forget they are on a ship when noise issues are present (as opposed to a hotel)... ships are not quiet, especially in adverse weather conditions.

" The Cons: Drinking water both from the taps in the stateroom and from the pitchers poured at dinner had a funky taste. This did not improve as the cruise went on. "

We noticed this on the Miracle last month and was the first time we both remarked that it was nasty tasting.

I was on the Dream first cruise out of dry dock. Too bad your carpet didn't get replaced. They must not have done all cabins because ours was brand new.

Didn't notice any banging noises (except from the balcony door slammers LOL) or rattling from the balcony door dividers but in the middle of the night on either the first or second night, our balcony door divider blew completely open and kept banging on our balcony furniture, keeping my daughter awake. I wear ear plugs and didn't hear a thing. Of course the cabin steward fixed it first thing the next morning. Since the ship just came out of dry dock I'm sure they were doing work out there and probably never properly locked it.

The wind wasn't so bad on the river the first night but immediately on entering the gulf from the river, we were completely surrounded by fog. It was very eerie and the fog horn was blown every few minutes for the rest of the night. By morning the fog had cleared.

Those who heard banging noises can you tell me where your cabin was located, forward/mid/aft? Back two years ago I was on the Fascination and heard the very same noise, we were in one of the rear cabins.

Can you tell me in the Ocean Plaza how many people are in the band, I am trying to figure out which band is playing there.

Drinking tap water, its best you don't drink it get bottled water.

The Cons: Drinking water both from the taps in the stateroom and from the pitchers poured at dinner had a funky taste. This did not improve as the cruise went on.

We also noticed this, my girls said it smelled like chlorine.

I enjoyed our Dream cruise out of NOLA a couple of years ago. I really love that class of ship because I really love the Cove balcony. The crew was fantastic (at least back then). The only problem I had were the crowds on the Lido. We went mid-April so maybe the little ones were still out of school in some states. Next time we'll adjust the times we eat to escape the masses.

Those who heard banging noises can you tell me where your cabin was located, forward/mid/aft? Back two years ago I was on the Fascination and heard the very same noise, we were in one of the rear cabins.

Can you tell me in the Ocean Plaza how many people are in the band, I am trying to figure out which band is playing there.

Drinking tap water, its best you don't drink it get bottled water.

I've certainly never drank the water in the cabin. Now, for those that get cheers, have your waiter get a large bottled water. Once you get it on the first day, its likely they'll have he large bottle waiting for you at the table each day. At least, they did that for me last year.