Host Tink - Help with the double posts

Juliadlf

Hello Tink:

I've been experiencing alot of the white screens coming up and usually I'm able to avoid the double posts but thought perhaps there might be a way we can delete the double posts ourselves? Can they build something in the screen area where it gives you the opportunity to Edit and save your changes, perhaps a Delete button?

Could save space in the long run with all the double posts:o

Just a thought...

Julia

OMG thank you for asking this.

It's NOT just me!!!

No but somehow someone will find a way to blame it on you...or question your reasons for thinking it was just you....or somethin'!!!:D :D

Hello Tink:

I've been experiencing alot of the white screens coming up and usually I'm able to avoid the double posts but thought perhaps there might be a way we can delete the double posts ourselves? Can they build something in the screen area where it gives you the opportunity to Edit and save your changes, perhaps a Delete button?

Could save space in the long run with all the double posts:o

Just a thought...

Julia

Here is what I do.

After I post and get a white screen, I wait a bit..

and then I open a second, completely separate window, go to where I posted and see if it is there.

Usually it is there, so I close the white screen without trying to post again.:D

Well when we're in this odd mode I usually type it up like normal then highlight and copy it then past it into a new window. Seems to me that it works better at times like this if I don't quote somebody. Might just be me I suppose but I believe Largin might very well be right on the server thing. Dumb move if they dump half the old posts, lots of good stuff there. Maybe we take up collection for better hardware? I can PayPal over a buck or two to make it all work

I thought it was just my computer - it's been freezing up a lot anyway lately --

Here's what I do with the white screen, wait a few seconds to see if the computer is just overworked temporarily, then if it doesn't post, I hit the refresh button - it takes me to the thread and my post is there.

I've also had problems under the same circumstance of the system returning a blank screen to me. When I do not create a double post my original post ends up being on the thread but the check mark indicating "you are subscribed to this thread" does not appear. :confused:

If the board appears to be struggling when I try to submit a comment, I just copy the text I've written and wait. If I get the dreaded white screen I just close the session and open a new browser window after a minutes. If the post isn't there, I'll reply again and just copy my comments from the "lost" post. Most of the time the post is there.

Same as Spongerob, when I post a response and nothing appears to be happening, I copy what I've posted to Notepad, close CC, and re-open to see if my post is there. Almost always, it's there. It appears to me that it's the refresh that isn't working which leads you to believe that your message hasn't posted. If you refresh or hit the button to post again, you'll get the double post.

Same as Spongerob, when I post a response and nothing appears to be happening, I copy what I've posted to Notepad, close CC, and re-open to see if my post is there. Almost always, it's there. It appears to me that it's the refresh that isn't working which leads you to believe that your message hasn't posted. If you refresh or hit the button to post again, you'll get the double post.

Boy do I know about that. I had the same problem, I went and hit the button to post again and I guess I got impatient with the damm thing that I hit it and hit it over and over. Well my answer got through and I counted seven replies to a question that I answered. Very embarressing.:o

Marilyn

Doris, that is NOT true :D

The white screen thing certainly can be frustrating. But lately, not only do I get white screened, I get a message server is down. Fool that I am, I always trust the post to be there, but now do as others, a quick copy of my message to a word doc and then close out, come back in and start over doing a copy/paste from the word doc. :)

It always seems to happen to me on a lengthy one - maybe Doris is right, no one wants to read some of my epistles.:D

What I used to do is the same as many of you. I would just highlight my post and copy it and paste it when I could. Now for some reason, "copy" does not appear as an option to me when I highlight and right click. Any suggestions? I thought something changed when they did a board upgrade a month or so ago. That's when it would not allow me to copy anymore. It works on every other site.

Just highlight the text and do Edit/Copy. When you get to your new post do Edit/Paste

What I used to do is the same as many of you. I would just highlight my post and copy it and paste it when I could. Now for some reason, "copy" does not appear as an option to me when I highlight and right click. Any suggestions? I thought something changed when they did a board upgrade a month or so ago. That's when it would not allow me to copy anymore. It works on every other site.

Well when we're in this odd mode I usually type it up like normal then highlight and copy it then past it into a new window. Seems to me that it works better at times like this if I don't quote somebody. Might just be me I suppose but I believe Largin might very well be right on the server thing. Dumb move if they dump half the old posts, lots of good stuff there. Maybe we take up collection for better hardware? I can PayPal over a buck or two to make it all work

I agree with Chris. If it is a matter of the servers being maxxed out I'd be willing to pony up a few bucks for bigger and better servers. No idea what they cost but with 150,000+ members I'm sure if everybody donated a couple bucks that it would cover the expense.:)

Bill

I LOVE it b/c it gets my post count up :) lol Your status in CC is directly related to how many posts you have. Duh

Works in real life too.

If you ever get pulled over for speeding by a police officer tell them

"But officer, I have 1897 posts on Cruise Critic"

They'll let you go, its a law

If I want to have a tour of the bridge on my cruise I go to the Captains Cocktail Party, shake his hand and say

"Hi I have five thousand plus Cruise Critic posts!" .

He usually leaves the party right then and there for my personal tour.

It even works at the supermarket....

When there's a long line, whisper "I have more posts on Cruise Critic than you do" to the person before you and you'll quickly be at the front of the line

You have to be careful though. Some members have a bad case of Post-Envy and feel badly because their number is smaller than yours. Be kind to them.

Archived