Passover Sedar on a ship?

Wonderin32

Has anyone ever attempted to have a small sedar on a cruise ship? From the archives it looks like it has happened, but I haven't had any luck so far setting one up.

We are on the Dawn leaving April 9th and I'm trying to figure this out. Called NCL, they directed me to e-mail someone on the ship's special events team, but haven't heard back.

Any ideas? Suggestions?

I have no idea what NCL's policy on this is. I know that on Celebrity they typically comp a cruise to a rabbi or priest or whomever when there is a religious holiday occurring on a sailing in exchange for them leading a small service. And they do sometimes have passengers get together and organize something when that does not occur. I believe if you are interested in leading it, it most likely would be permitted. Try reaching out to guest services upon boarding?

Special events needs to be involved as they also need to source the necessary products if you want to do a seder plate and coordinate with the culinary staff (speaking from experience, good luck explaining Charoses)

Years ago, NCL had religious services during certain holy days. Not sure when it ended. Yes, the special events will work with you. After they know someone is willing to organize it, they will reserve a room and publish it in the Freestyle Daily. In addition, if a priest or minister is on board and wants to offer an Easter service, they will normally provide a location and publish the service as well.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Try contacting Special Events again. They are the ones who will help you get a room or area for your event. If you can't work out anything ahead of time go to guest services when you get on the ship.

However, don't expect too much. This past October I was disappointed with RCI there was a priest on-board who did Sunday mass and wanted to do daily mass but they "couldn't find a room" for him. Seriously!! We were on Anthem which is huge, I'm sure there were plenty of open spaces at 8am. On the other hand when we were on Grandeur which is a much smaller ship, they let a priest use one of the lounges every morning for mass. So it's probably more dependent on the crew of the ship which is why I suggest talking to someone when you are on-board.

Passover is such a ritualistic holiday it would be easier to stay home if you really want to do a Seder. Personally, we would never travel during Passover or the High Holidays. When I am on vacation I don't want to have to go chumetz free! It's the only time I let myself indulge in dessert often.

Thanks for the feedback. I contacted Special Events again and figured the charoses and some of the sedar plate would be an issue.

More about having a single sedar, not worried about keeping Passover on a ship, but would like to do at least a quick sedar.

Could you bring a small amount of charoset on the ship with you and just put it in your mini-fridge?

You probably could find a plastic seder plate at Bed Bath and Beyond, too.

I am guessing the ship could provide: matzah, some form of bitter herbs, and egg, some greens, and salt water.

As well as a bread-free meal.

I love having seders in different places! I think it would be fun and unusual to have one on a ship!

Could you bring a small amount of charoset on the ship with you and just put it in your mini-fridge?

Or just take the ingredients separately or find them on board.....walnuts (on the ice cream condiments counter), apples (buffet), cinnamon you may need to take. If you cant get wine on board, I'm sure a glass of Port will suffice.

Random thought, if you do hold it and open it to the passengers, make sure to point out it is probably the ingredients are NOT Kosher for Passover (because they won't be if provided by the ship, the food storage is not Kosher except for pre-packed meals), people may assume.

Just to update folks, they are willing to help at least, though so far missed the point by offering challah.

I'm continuing my effort though and incorporating twitter use now. Lots of education.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Although you haven't come right out & said it, it sounds like you're expecting NCL to offer to hold the Sedar for you. If that's what you're pushing for, you'll probably be disappointed......

Has anyone ever attempted to have a small sedar on a cruise ship? From the archives it looks like it has happened, but I haven't had any luck so far setting one up.

We are on the Dawn leaving April 9th and I'm trying to figure this out. Called NCL, they directed me to e-mail someone on the ship's special events team, but haven't heard back.

Any ideas? Suggestions?

Do you think you might open this up to passengers? I will be on this cruise and would be interested in attending.

• 2 weeks later...

I just assumed they would have a seder on on board NCL. I have cruised twice during Passover on RCCL and they had a seder both nights. The first night had about 200+ on both cruises. The second night had at least 100. We brought our own Hagadah's but they did have them too. Did Chanukkah this past year and they filled the room and still had a few hundred people in the hall all trying to attend. Had to move it to the windjammer for the rest of the cruise. I just assumed all the cruise lines did the holidays.

About 15-18 years ago we did Carnival during passover and we brought a box of Matza on board. We did not need to. It was the third day when we boarded and we took the matza to dinner. The waiter said oh, we got you covered. The next night we were served Matza. Toward the end of the cruise Passover was over and we asked for bread. The kids could not wait. The waiter thought we were crazy the way the kids bit into the bread.

I would expect that NCL would have this covered and you could get an easy answer.

• 8 months later...

Dear Wonderin32 AND ANYONE ELSE with experience with NCL & Passover.

You are AFTER your NCL cruise and Passover 2017 celebration....From the forum, I realize you worked hard on putting this together :confused: HOW WAS IT?? Did you manage to have a nice seder in every way (location, food stuff, spirit)? We certainly hope so!

Now I will be facing the same challenge also on NCL this coming year :eek: I am hoping you allow me to pick your brain and learn from your experience!! PLEASE!

We will be a family of 14 travelling NEXT March, yes, Passover 2018 on Norwegian's Spirit. Please share if you can any tips (email/names to contact), things to ask for (or not) - what worked for you and what didn't, suggestions for us to help make it happen for us as well ;)

Can't thank you enough in advance for any and all insights and advice!

Any ideas? Suggestions?

Dear Wonderin32 You are AFTER your NCL cruise and Passover 2017 celebration....From the forum, I realize you worked hard on putting this together :confused: HOW WAS IT?? Did you manage to have a nice seder in every way (location, food stuff, spirit)? We certainly hope so!

Now I will be facing the same challenge also on NCL this coming year :eek: I am hoping you allow me to pick your brain and learn from your experience!! PLEASE!

We will be a family of 14 travelling NEXT March, yes, Passover 2018 on Norwegian's Spirit. Please share if you can any tips (email/names to contact), things to ask for (or not) - what worked for you and what didn't, suggestions for us to help make it happen for us as well ;)

Can't thank you enough in advance for any and all insights and advice!