What is the description of a Panoramic Balcony-Window on the Crystal Bach?

Ken the cruiser

We're looking into booking a river cruise on the Crystal Bach and are trying to figure out what exactly a "Panoramic Balcony-Window" is. Is it another name for a French balcony? We tried looking on the Crystal website for a detailed description, but couldn't find one and the picture of it in one of the suites didn't help either. However, since they are present in all the suites, I'm sure they work great. We're just curious about them. If anyone has seen one of these on any of the Crystal river ships, we would enjoy hearing how they work.

That's what it looks like to me as well. I just sent off an email to customer service asking the question as I just noticed its inaugural cruise won't be until later on in the summer. It will be interesting what functionality it offers as it doesn't appear the Bach has any rooms with real balconies, not even the 2 bedroom suites.

I know the Scenic & Emerald windows have the top part opening, so this could be the same? I wouldn't worry about not having a balcony, as that takes away room space. At least with the wall of windows, you can sit & enjoy the view no matter what the weather.

I know the Scenic & Emerald windows have the top part opening, so this could be the same? I wouldn't worry about not having a balcony, as that takes away room space. At least with the wall of windows, you can sit & enjoy the view no matter what the weather.

Crystal customer service responded saying "Our Panoramic Balcony-Window is a French style Balcony. The window does open but you cannot walk out." I subsequently asked for more specifics to possibly include more definitive pictures, but haven't heard back on that yet.

We agree. More room space is definitely more valuable than having a balcony, especially with the petite rooms.

Crystal customer service responded saying "Our Panoramic Balcony-Window is a French style Balcony. The window does open but you cannot walk out." I subsequently asked for more specifics to possibly include more definitive pictures, but haven't heard back on that yet.

We agree. More room space is definitely more valuable than having a balcony, especially with the petite rooms.

Here's the follow-up reply I got from customer service regarding a more detailed description of the Balcony-Window -

"The window will be able to be pushed down to about hip or stomach height so guests are able to look out ofthe window easily. Kindly note unfortunately we do not have any imagesavailable to be shared at this time."

No idea how the Bach/Mahler will be designed.

There are some pictures from the Crystal Mozart from my cruise in December.

http://johnken3.blogspot.co.uk/2016/12/dec-22-boarding-crystal-mozart-and.html - scroll down to "The Check-In Experience". Click on each photo as they do blow up a fair bit.

The first picture shows me standing at a Penthouse Suite (four window panes). There is a two window pane room behind me - that is a regular S1 Suite.

One scary thing to note in the first photo is that there is a level of rooms below mine, not that you would realise it. The "duck view" rooms is totally below the pier and gets no sunlight much less any view when the boat is docked.

No idea how the Bach/Mahler will be designed.

There are some pictures from the Crystal Mozart from my cruise in December.

http://johnken3.blogspot.co.uk/2016/12/dec-22-boarding-crystal-mozart-and.html - scroll down to "The Check-In Experience". Click on each photo as they do blow up a fair bit.

The first picture shows me standing at a Penthouse Suite (four window panes). There is a two window pane room behind me - that is a regular S1 Suite.

One scary thing to note in the first photo is that there is a level of rooms below mine, not that you would realise it. The "duck view" rooms is totally below the pier and gets no sunlight much less any view when the boat is docked.

Thanks for the tour! From what I could tell at looking at their various river boat deck plans, the Mozart is the only one that offers traditional French balconies while all the newer ones seem to have their new Panorama window balconies.

• 1 year later...

We sailed on Bach earlier this year and were also confused by "panoramic balcony window" before we boarded. The term is marketing mumbo jumbo ... there is no actual balcony. It's actually a huge window that takes up an entire outside wall of the suite. The upper half can be opened by remote control, with the window retracting partially or completely, thereby creating a feeling of openness akin to a balcony. There is another control to screen the open window, if desired. There's a tiny window ledge on which you could carefully balance drinks but there's no sitting area akin to a balcony, unless you sit on the edge of the bed which faces the open window.