Anthem - Many Questions

Sorry for the endless questions, but are any of your party children? If so, what are their ages?

I am looking at Marriott and Hilton properties. Are you or would you be willing to join Marriott or Hilton rewards prigrams to get a lower rate and wifi?

We are all adults. Sure if the price is decent why not. We are DVC members so we know booking on points always gets you a better rate.

Sorry for hijacking this thread

Ok. So my best suggestion is to book the Marriott Courtyard in Jersey City. Join Marriott rewards and your pre pay rate is $363.26 for 5 people for 2 nights. With 2 queens and a rollaway.

Our family of 5 have stayed at this hotel (DH, DD, DS and 6 month old DGD) and it worked well for us.

The PATH Station is right next door to the hotel. This will take you to 33rd & 6th in Manhattan. With a transfer at Grove St on the weekend, you can also go to World Trade. http://www.panynj.gov/path/maps-schedules.html. IMO this is as convenient as the hotels you will find for 5 in Manhattan and is extremely nice and reasonable.

The Hudson Bergen light rail is about 2 blocks away. You can take the 8th St Bayonne train directly to 34th St Bayonne for $2.25/pp. You can call a cab or Uber to go the 2 miles into the port. This is a totally accessible trip and will be the "wrong" way on a Monday morning, which means you will have an empty car with seats once you get beyond Exchange Place. http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/LightRail/sf_lr_hblr_map.pdf

Call Independent driver for a quote to Jersey City.

Ok. So my best suggestion is to book the Marriott Courtyard in Jersey City. Join Marriott rewards and your pre pay rate is $363.26 for 5 people for 2 nights. With 2 queens and a rollaway.

Our family of 5 have stayed at this hotel (DH, DD, DS and 6 month old DGD) and it worked well for us.

The PATH Station is right next door to the hotel. This will take you to 33rd & 6th in Manhattan. With a transfer at Grove St on the weekend, you can also go to World Trade. http://www.panynj.gov/path/maps-schedules.html. IMO this is as convenient as the hotels you will find for 5 in Manhattan and is extremely nice and reasonable.

The Hudson Bergen light rail is about 2 blocks away. You can take the 8th St Bayonne train directly to 34th St Bayonne for $2.25/pp. You can call a cab or Uber to go the 2 miles into the port. This is a totally accessible trip and will be the "wrong" way on a Monday morning, which means you will have an empty car with seats once you get beyond Exchange Place. http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/LightRail/sf_lr_hblr_map.pdf

Call Independent driver for a quote to Jersey City.

Thank you, you've been wonderful! Sounds like a great deal. I will run this by everyone else in the party and see what they think.

just to make sure this is the one you're referring to?

Courtyard by Marriott Jersey City Newport

Address: 540 Washington Blvd, Jersey City, NJ 07310, USA

Did you take a cab to the hotel?

Edited by Lisa8

Thank you, you've been wonderful! Sounds like a great deal. I will run this by everyone else in the party and see what they think.

just to make sure this is the one you're referring to?

Courtyard by Marriott Jersey City Newport

Address: 540 Washington Blvd, Jersey City, NJ 07310, USA

Yes - the Courtyard is in the Newport area which you will really like. I know it will work well for you. We stayed there for a NYC wedding because we could get one room with a sofabed so for all of us. DD and the baby shared one of the queens and DS was on the sofa bed. We all survived well. We also had to lodge 2 cars and that was reasonable. I had a chance to ride the light rail from Essex to Newport and it was an easy walk back to the hotel. I have also ridden the light rail from Hoboken and Exchange Place to Bayonne 34th St on a weekday morning to cruise from Cape Liberty, so I know it is an easy trip. You will be as close to what you want to do in Manhattan as many other places in Manhattan you could ever find for 5 people.

Here are the cab numbers for Bayonne.

Bayonne City Yellow Cab

201-339-5000

Archie’s Cab & Van Service

201-858-8800

Campbell Taxi

201-339-8300

Yes - the Courtyard is in the Newport area which you will really like. I know it will work well for you. We stayed there for a NYC wedding because we could get one room with a sofabed so for all of us. DD and the baby shared one of the queens and DS was on the sofa bed. We all survived well. We also had to lodge 2 cars and that was reasonable. I had a chance to ride the light rail from Essex to Newport and it was an easy walk back to the hotel. I have also ridden the light rail from Hoboken and Exchange Place to Bayonne 34th St on a weekday morning to cruise from Cape Liberty, so I know it is an easy trip. You will be as close to what you want to do in Manhattan as many other places in Manhattan you could ever find for 5 people.

Here are the cab numbers for Bayonne.

Bayonne City Yellow Cab

201-339-5000

Archie’s Cab & Van Service

201-858-8800

Campbell Taxi

201-339-8300

Thank you!

I was thinking of doing Marriot near Wall Street, it was reasonable at 450/night, because I was thinking of the time I'm saving at that price and the cost of transportation...but your recommendation is even better. Its half the price.

Thank you!

I was thinking of doing Marriot near Wall Street, it was reasonable at 450/night, because I was thinking of the time I'm saving at that price and the cost of transportation...but your recommendation is even better. Its half the price.

$450/night is very pricey. And you have to add on the cost of getting from EWR to Wall St and Wall St to Cape Liberty. It's very expensive to go by car service across the state line between NY and NJ.

I forgot to add that DH and I actually lived in Jersey City for 5 years near Exchange Place before it became "posh", so I totally understand the advantages of staying in Jersey City before cruising from Cape Liberty.

We just got off last Sunday and my kids ordered several free items on room service menu. Certain items were 4.95 but lots of free options. Don't know about breakfast as we did not order any. This room service charge must have just started this week.

It is rolling out over the next month, so it will definitely be there before us. :loudcry:

As for something sweet late evening, Café Promenade is Open and does have sweets. Sorentos also but as you said, Pizza is not for everybody just before bedtime.

Perfect. Thanks!

The soft serve Ice cream is hard to find. It is on the pool deck, starboard side, just forward of the main pool hot tub area sort of underneath the stairs leading up to the North Star bar. I did not see any logical schedule to it being opened. I just remember, that every now and then, of of the girls in our group would come up running to the rest of the girls to let them know it was open, and they would all take off running to the machine. This happened probably at least once a day ;-)

I'm sure that my husband will figure out when it is available. Nice to know it is there.

dp

Any secrets or other info that you can share with us about the Anthem?

... And another question is it worth drink package? Thanks !

Tell us what you will drink each day (including port days) and we can tell you if you will save money with the drink package.

Any secrets or other info that you can share with us about the Anthem?

Well, there is one that turned turned out to be very useful. We were a group of 6 couples, all scheduled to go to 270 for Sprectra's later showing, but one of the couples had the earlier showing reserved and were refused entry as the the rest of us found seats together, but if you know your way around the ship there is a very inconspicuous entrance to 270 on deck 5 port side outdoor walkway This entrance was not monitored that I ever saw. So I went out to join them, and brought them out the door just next to the washrooms next to the aft elevators on the port side, here you are outside next to the life rafts. walk all the way back past the Jaimie's windows and there on the left is a glass door with a small Two70 printed on it. Push the little green lite button and voila, you walk in 270 just next to the Bar, underneath the library.

dp

I like that one! In Feb I had a port aft side balcony, and I used the deck 6 entrance door to the library area as a shortcut to the Cafe 270. I also used the 270 elevator a few times when I was carrying stuff. This "door" is a big grey unmarked double door in the deck 6 aft corridor. Only problem is that it is very heavy and you have to give it a big push or pull. I also have heard that they lock it when there are shows in the 270, but I would think that could be a fire hazard.

I've been reading the live threads, reviews, and tips, and I keep coming up with more and more questions.

This is my second time posting this since the first time it bombed after I clicked the required Captcha and I hadn't thought to copy and paste the post. :( This time, I'm writing it elsewhere and copying it in. I hope I can remember all of my questions.

Background - I am an anal planner who usually starts over a year out and we booked this one with only 75 days to sailing. We are a family of 4 (51, 51, 25, and 23). Our last RoyalCaribbean cruise was the Explorer in 2009. This was also the largest ship we have ever been on. We usually go for smaller ships, but the kids wanted to do a newer big ship.

We are doing the 5day itinerary to Bermuda on May 20th.

1) How does MTD work on the Anthem?

1a)We made reservations for most nights for the four of us (across 2bookings). Will we get a table for 4 or possibly a larger table to share with other people?

1b)Are the menus the same in all of the main dining rooms?

1c)Is there a possibility of getting done in less than two hours if we express an interest in having dinner move faster?

2) If I like being as high as possible on the ship and have an unobstructed view to take photos, where is the best place for sail-away? We have interior cabins, so our balcony isn't a possibility.

2a)Does anyone know the clearance below the Verrazano-Narrows bridge and the ship? I know it depends on the tide, but… I'd like an estimate.

3) Where is your favorite place to eat lunch on embarkation day? Obviously, this will be AFTER we head to the theater to try and book all the things we missed out on because we booked our cruise only 75 days out and it took me two days to find things in the planner.

4) How does theRoyaliQ app work? I installed it. It looks like from the planner that you have to pay extra to communicate with others in your party on the ship, but what does it offer for free. Princess allowed you to leave messages for fellow passengers for free, but it was flakey and didn't alert you when there was a message. You had to open and look. Is the extra option worth the money?

5) Where are theFreestyle coke machines and how do they know who gets free sodas? Do you have to carry your cup around?

6) How does JohnnyRockets work?

6a)Does dessert come with it?

6b)If you have a soda card, are the sodas free?

7) How does theEmergency Drill work? Are most of the locations inside or out? Do you take your jackets with you? We are deck 9forward if that matters.

8) How much do the WOW bands cost?

I can't remember the last question from my first post, but I'm sure there will be many more to come as I prepare. I appreciate any and all help!

Joining in to say "hi!"

I will be on the same May 20th Anthem sailing, celebrating my 50th birthday with DD (22) and DS (20)! DH cannot make this trip, unfortunately. Our first and only RCI cruise was September 2014, Explorer (I believe) to Bermuda from Bayonne. That was just DH and I with a large group of adults. It's my kids' first cruise ever and they're pretty excited.

This thread has been extremely helpful to me, as I also booked a few weeks ago and am getting kind of overwhelmed with the amount of planning ahead required. Last time, because we were with a large group, the only decision DH and I had to make for ourselves was which drink package to purchase. Now it's drinks and dining and internet (can't be disconnected when you're 20 and 22) and shows and activities, etc. I have never seen a single show on a cruise ship. Most activity I ever joined was Bingo!

I look forward to reading more on here and maybe running into you on the ship!

I like that one! In Feb I had a port aft side balcony, and I used the deck 6 entrance door to the library area as a shortcut to the Cafe 270. I also used the 270 elevator a few times when I was carrying stuff. This "door" is a big grey unmarked double door in the deck 6 aft corridor. Only problem is that it is very heavy and you have to give it a big push or pull. I also have heard that they lock it when there are shows in the 270, but I would think that could be a fire hazard.

Probably locked in only in the direction toward Two 70, and coming put is probably not capable of being locked.

We want to hit all the tourist locations in NY. We bought a 2 day pass on the hip on hop off bus so our transportation downtown should be covered.

If we are doing Springhill that means we would take a shuttle to the airport then take the train to NY Penn station, thats 12.50 per person - so 25 round trip. It just seems more convenient to pay a couple hundred more and stay downtown.

ALL the tourist locations in NYC? Some of them, like the Museum of Natural History, could take you days.

I agree with you, if money is not a deciding factor, then staying in Midtown is convenient and part of the whole NYC experience. There are a lot of hotels tucked away in the streets between the Hudson and Broadway, in the northern reaches of Time Square. And some are amazingly reasonable.

ALL the tourist locations in NYC? Some of them, like the Museum of Natural History, could take you days.

I agree with you, if money is not a deciding factor, then staying in Midtown is convenient and part of the whole NYC experience. There are a lot of hotels tucked away in the streets between the Hudson and Broadway, in the northern reaches of Time Square. And some are amazingly reasonable.

Minus those places then lol ;) Yes there are some nice hotels downtown that cost 400-600 cad, which is reasonable considering transportation costs. It works out to be only a couple hundred more to stay downtown.

Hi, I am doing the 5 night to Bermuda May 6th. With only one formal night does anyone know if they will have lobster? Thanks in advance

I've been looking at menus when people were posting live and on reviews and I haven't seen any lobster other than the extra charge lobster, by maybe one of our recent returnees can give us the whole story.