The 'Digital' Navigator...

msmayor

For those who have used the digital version of the Navigator on board...I haven't seen as much written about it and how easy it is to use.

I did read that you do not need an internet package to use it...does this mean that if you DO have internet minutes, using the digital navigator won't 'cost' you minutes?

For those who have used the digital version of the Navigator on board...I haven't seen as much written about it and how easy it is to use.

I did read that you do not need an internet package to use it...does this mean that if you DO have internet minutes, using the digital navigator won't 'cost' you minutes?

Correct, it's available while not logged in.

You can build your own schedule in it which is nice. You can view daily listings, view menus, make/cancel restaurant reservations, see your account summary, book shore excursions, that type of stuff.

Correct. ONE of the functions is "connect to paid internet" but all other functions are free. It is very easy to use.

One odd thing was that before I bought a package of minutes I could go to the NYTimes or HAL sites for free, but once I bought the package they disappeared. So I set up a second account in DW's name, without a time package, to continue to use them.

Edited by jtl513

Correct. ONE of the functions is "connect to paid internet" but all other functions are free. It is very easy to use.

One odd thing was that before I bought a package of minutes I could go to the NYTimes or HAL sites for free, but once I bought the package they disappeared. So I set up a second account in DW's name, without a time package, to continue to use them.

That's good to know ahead of time. Both my husband and I have Kindle Fire tablets, so I'll keep the internet minutes for just me and then set up an account just for him. He'll use the NYTimes site far more than I will and I'll be the one checking email periodically.

Correct. You can view your account, menus, daily programs, etc. regardless of whether or not you have an Internet account. On the Eurodam in December, most of the information was also available on your TV in your room.

That's good to know ahead of time. Both my husband and I have Kindle Fire tablets, so I'll keep the internet minutes for just me and then set up an account just for him. He'll use the NYTimes site far more than I will and I'll be the one checking email periodically.

Used the Navigator via my Kindle with no internet access and loved the speed and ease of it.

Wish they would add a place where you can send messages to other cruisers while on the ship.

Correct, it's available while not logged in.

You can build your own schedule in it which is nice. You can view daily listings, view menus, make/cancel restaurant reservations, see your account summary, book shore excursions, that type of stuff.

One improvement that I would like to see is to have that custom schedule be able to create reminders and alarms for the events on my smartphone.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

In the upper right hand corner of the Navigator Home Page, you will see 3 horizontal bars. If you click on that, a drop down menu will appear. From there you can select "Internet Complimentary Sites".

• 11 months later...

I read that Holland America Line Navigator lets you instantly connect to make your cruise the vacation of your dreams. Once you’re on the ship, use your smart phone, tablet or laptop to plan your day’s activities, browse and purchase shore excursions, look at menus and make restaurant reservations, chat with fellow travelers, peruse spa treatments, check your account balance, purchase Internet access and more. It’s easy to use and it’s free of charge. Can anyone explain this chat feature? Can I chat with others in my group?

I read that Holland America Line Navigator lets you instantly connect to make your cruise the vacation of your dreams. Once you’re on the ship, use your smart phone, tablet or laptop to plan your day’s activities, browse and purchase shore excursions, look at menus and make restaurant reservations, chat with fellow travelers, peruse spa treatments, check your account balance, purchase Internet access and more. It’s easy to use and it’s free of charge. Can anyone explain this chat feature? Can I chat with others in my group?
You can chat with anyone who has registered for an account. But I think I've read that they don't get a ring tone or chime, so it's more like a private-message board than a real-time chat. (It wasn't available yet on our last cruise, so have never tried it.) Edited by catl331

Yes you can send messages, and it works if the people you're sending them to have opened their account and remember to check! A little red number appears on the chat site on the screen if you have a message, but it is small.

As far as using the account, as many people as want to can use your single account, but only one at a time. For example, I registered my account as Pmcxxxxx6144, with my password as 1234. My DH could use my minutes to check his emails by signing in as Pmcxxxxx6144 and using my password. When he logged out, I could log back in. When I ran out of minutes, he bought a package and signed in as P2mcxxxxx6144, with a password of 2345 (we both have the same first initial), and I could use his account by signing in as him, as long as he wasn't logged in. Our daughter, who was in a different stateroom could have logged in as me, too, as long as I had told her my login name and the password.

Thats weird, we have always had a link to "complimentary websites", we hit that and it lists all the free ones including the Times and HAL.

Know Before You Go

HOLLAND AMERICA LINE NAVIGATOR

Manage your cruise with our free, mobile-friendly tool. Once you’re on the ship, use your smart phone, tablet or laptop to plan your

day’s activities, browse and purchase tours, look at menus and make restaurant reservations, peruse spa treatments, check your accountbalance, purchase internet access and more. You don’t have todownload anything in advance, it’s easy to use and free of charge.

Getting started is simple. Once on the ship, connect with yourship’s Wi-Fi and open your device’s web browser and Navigator

should open automatically. You won’t incur Internet or cellular datacharges when using Navigator.

Thats weird, we have always had a link to "complimentary websites", we hit that and it lists all the free ones including the Times and HAL.

See my response to this issue back in post #8. That will resolve the issue.

In the upper right hand corner of the Navigator Home Page, you will see 3 horizontal bars. If you click on that, a drop down menu will appear. From there you can select "Internet Complimentary Sites".

I couldn’t get the digital navigatior to work on my iPhone in November, nor could my sister. However our trivia partener was able to connect on a android device. Has anyone has success connecting with an Apple product.

I couldn’t get the digital navigatior to work on my iPhone in November, nor could my sister. However our trivia partener was able to connect on a android device. Has anyone has success connecting with an Apple product.

I had no problem connecting with my iPhone , MacBook or iPad. I just had to make sure my wi-fi connection showed I was connected to the ships wi-fi first before typing in "Navigator" or "Logon" into my Safari Browser.

Yes, using Navigator will NOT cost you minutes. Logging on to internet is separate from using Navigator.

As a side note.... on the Amsterdam the wifi signal was very weak in my cabin. After logging on the I lost the connection and could not sign out. Finally I left cabin and went to an area with a good strong signal and signed off. Lost several minutes. Changed cabins and had no more problems.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The navigator works on a closed "INTRANET" system. So the best way to access it is to put your device in airplane mode and then (leaving airplane on) turn on WiFi. This will connect you to the internal system which lets you use the free intranet.

Also keeping your phone in airplane mode keeps you from accidentally using your own minutes.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Deb

I had no problem connecting with my iPhone , MacBook or iPad. I just had to make sure my wi-fi connection showed I was connected to the ships wi-fi first before typing in "Navigator" or "Logon" into my Safari Browser.

Glen, nice to "hear" from you again. How did the "chat" function work for you. Can I send a message to someone in my group, to tell them to meet me on the Lido?

Bob

Glen, nice to "hear" from you again. How did the "chat" function work for you. Can I send a message to someone in my group, to tell them to meet me on the Lido?

Bob

Hi Bob, good to hear from you. It's been awhile.

When I used the Navigator, the chat function wasn't available yet. Others have posted in a separate thread that it works more like a message board. You have to be logged in to read messages. I think someone said there is a red indicator that there is a message when you log in. It doesn't work like "Messenger" or "Text Messaging" (ie real time).

One of the features-texting while on board to other passengers- is not very helpful unless you check your device continuously. You do not receive an alert, like a ping, when you receive a text. Many times we never got them until much later. It was frustrating. But we did enjoy setting up our daily schedule and reading the NYTimes for free.