Info needed, 1st time cruising new england & canada

10Jan54

I really would love some information about weather, how to dress and better port info for Halifax and St Johns? We are going Sept 9th out of NY. We like to do things on our own and see as much as we can. Thanks for any help!

DD and I did the 5-day Canada trip on the Victory in 2006. As I remember, we did not hit the pool once due to the temperatures. It can be cold so bring warm clothes and a light jacket.

Also, pack some warm weather clothes just in case.

Karen

This is a great cruise. I have done it twice and would do it again. There is so much to do and see. These cruise ports are great if you want to explore them on your own. I enjoy to walk these ports. Here are some things to do if you like to walk: Each port had maps at the pier so this made it easy to get around. These suggestion will take several mile of walking at each port so have your walking shoes on.

Boston: Faniuel Hall is shopping/restaurant mega marketplace; The Freedom Trail is a historical mapped walk. It is best to map it out before you go so you can maximize the points you want to see. The Cheers Bar is a fun place to see. The Boston Public Gardens is a beautiful park and garden.

Portland: There is a lot of shopping and restaurants/bars close to the cruise port and a block or 2 from the port. It is a college town so there are many trendy places to go. You can take the Portland historical walking tour. Choose one of the restaurants/pubs as you are walking for a clam cake sandwich and a beer.

St John: The small market right at the port has vendors that offer local items. The vendors are very friendly and it was fun to walk around. Go to the much larger City Market that offers a wide variety of local choices, At City Market, definitely try the seafood, chowders and lobster rolls here at City Market. The prices are very good.

Halifax: This if my favorite port on this itinerary. The market right at the pier is excellent with many vendors offering local products. The Citadel Fort is a historical site that offers an excellent view of the City. The Halifax Public Gardens is a beautiful Park/Garden to walk through to relax and enjoy.

All of these things to do that I listed are within walking distance of the ship but it will be many miles of walking. Make sure you have comfortable walking shoes. For early September, the mornings will be on the cool side so dress in layers so you can take layers off as it warms up. Take some type of light rain jacket and perhaps a small umbrella because you will probably encounter some rain. I went twice this time of year. It rained in St John on the first cruise and it rained in Portland on the second cruise.

If you plan to walk these ports then I hope some of these suggestions will help.

Enjoy your Canada/New England cruise.:)

OP, we are also doing this cruise, but on 9/23. I had to do a double take, tho, because your name is DH'es EXACT birthday. I am assuming it is yours also. And he was born in the Bronx and your "hometown" is listed as NY. :eek:

Did this cruise last October and it was quite chilly at the onset. New Brunswick was rainy and windy. We just shopped around the port. It was Canadian Thanksgiving so not much was open. I have to say the hot tub on the ship felt wonderful after returning from port. Nova Scotia was beautiful. We rented a car and went to Peggy's cove. On the way back we stopped for Lobster at Reyer's and it was delicious. I would recommend bringing a warm jacket because you never know about the weather even in September. Enjoy the cruise I know we did. be9b0c18a487bde4733bf76e0a17b9c1.jpga501658c1af6db64f327dcaf6f2341c2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really would love some information about weather, how to dress and better port info for Halifax and St Johns? We are going Sept 9th out of NY. We like to do things on our own and see as much as we can. Thanks for any help!

Hi there

The weather should still be quite nice, just the end of summer. It is the Maritimes though, so you have to be prepared for anything.

I agree with the other that suggest a car rental. Do a little homework on what you might be interested in, print out some maps, reserve the cars and get ready for some fun. (That was our last cruise...would love to get out there again soon)

have a great cruise

It looks like Carnival has discontinued the Canada/New England itinerary for 2018. They are now offering Bermuda and Eastern Caribbean cruises on the new ship Horizon. I would like to do the Eastern Caribbean cruise but the prices will have to come back down to Earth first.:(

I did this cruise in late September 2015 and am doing it again this September. We had fantastic (warm and sunny) weather for the first part of our cruise, but once we got to Portland, Maine, it was pouring rain. All excursions were canceled due to flooding in Portland. It was cool and damp in Bar Harbor, but not raining. Layering is the answer, I think.

Loved this cruise and am looking forward to doing it again. Can't wait.

Have fun!

OP, we are also doing this cruise, but on 9/23. I had to do a double take, tho, because your name is DH'es EXACT birthday. I am assuming it is yours also. And he was born in the Bronx and your "hometown" is listed as NY. :eek:

You are correct, it is my b-day. I was actually born in Queens, NY. We now live upstate NY. I had to laugh because your name "Crusin Karen" I thought you might be my cousin Karen. She recently fell in love with cruising and has joined some sites but I don't know which ones. Enjoy your cruise, I can't wait since it's so different from any of our past cruises.

You are correct, it is my b-day. I was actually born in Queens, NY. We now live upstate NY. I had to laugh because your name "Crusin Karen" I thought you might be my cousin Karen. She recently fell in love with cruising and has joined some sites but I don't know which ones. Enjoy your cruise, I can't wait since it's so different from any of our past cruises.

You and DH share a birth DAY. Same exact day!!! And I am a good speller lol. When I registered for CC years ago, there was already a Cruising Karen. So I put in a bunch of different spellings, and this is what I was given! BTW, we have a summer camp on Great Lake Sacandaga in Northville, NY. Anywhere near you? Have never been on Sunshine, but cruised on Destiny a bunch of times.

We live west of Albany and east of Binghamton, just about half way right near Oneonta. Ever hear of it?

You and DH share a birth DAY. Same exact day!!! And I am a good speller lol. When I registered for CC years ago, there was already a Cruising Karen. So I put in a bunch of different spellings, and this is what I was given! BTW, we have a summer camp on Great Lake Sacandaga in Northville, NY. Anywhere near you? Have never been on Sunshine, but cruised on Destiny a bunch of times.

We live west of Albany and east of Binghamton, just about half way right near Oneonta. Ever hear of it?

Yes, Hartwick College is there. Our friend's daughter goes there as did my brother's ex GF. Our summer camp is in Northville. About an hour north of Albany. We live in Ridgewood, NJ which is near the GW Bridge. Loved to cruise from NY because it's just 20 minutes from our doorstep!