What would be the one nugget of advice you would give cruising "virgin"?

Check the Patter every day for the Happy Hour times. Don't just assume it'll be the same time every day. We missed one out of seven...err six...on our last cruise. They tricked us LOL! ;p

I would check Rome in Limo and Italy shore drivers for any shared excursions before booking with Princess. We did RIL in Rome with a private guide at the Vatican. Only 8 of us. Check out Bimmer 009 for his Emerald Med cruise. He does a great job and does take ship tours. You end up in cameo factory and leather store. A waste of time for me. Your roll call is a great place for information.

Sent from my BLU STUDIO 5.5 HD using Forums mobile app

First, let me say congratulations. Second, be apprised that ships & cruising are highly addictive.

Crown Princess is my favorite ship in the fleet. She is spacious, rarely feels crowded, & has lots of delightful nooks & crannies.

Now for some specifics:

1) Eat a light meal that includes protein & fruit before you get to the port on embarkation day. This will help regulate blood sugar & lessen the chance for a headache. Embarkation day can be stressful, surprisingly.

2) Study your deck plan frequently the week(s) before you sail. That way, once you are onboard the flow & layout of the ship won't be confusing to you.

3) Skip the crowds & noise of the buffet & have lunch in the main dining room on embarkation day. It sets the tone for a relaxing day. Speaking of the main dining room, try to have your breakfasts & lunches here during your cruise depending on what days MDR is open.

4) Unpack & check you cabin as soon as possible for cleanliness & maitenence issues. When you meet your stateroom steward/ess let him/her know of your preferences & needs followed by a kind "When you have time". Showing respect & understanding of their HEAVY work load will go a long way in the service you receive.

5) In the week(s) before your cruise make some flash cards with a few important phrases & words... please, thank-you, hello, good morning ect. in Filipino, Indonesian, Romanian, Ukrainian, Spanish, Czech. This may seem like a task, but it's fun & surprisingly easy. Your crew will love you for it & make an extra effort every time they see you. Try it & watch what happens !

6) Spend at least one port day on the ship. To experience the calm of a nearly empty ship is wonderful beyond belief ! Having the whole pool to yourself is what I call luxurious bliss .

7) Go AFT on this ship. Thats where the "hidden" gems of Crown Princess are. These aft areas seem like a private club because that are frequently underused by many fellow passengers. Terrace Pool, Skywalkers, Adagio, Sabatini's.

During the day Skywalkers is a delightful lounge high up. They don't play background music & it's perfect for reading & napping. Swimming in the aft pool(adults only) is also relaxing with the view of the ships wake .

8) Walk around the outside promenade deck & sit on a deck chair when the ship is sailing. Let the sound & motion of the ship & water absorb you. THIS IS ONE OF THE MOST ENJOYABLE EXPERIENCES OF SAILING ON A SHIP !

9) Skip the overpriced spa treatments, shore excursions(reputable tours always available once you get to the port at a lower cost or venture out on your own), embarkation photos.

10) Adjust your expectations to the realities of cruise travel in the year 2017. Gone are the days when food, service, entertainment, & crew were uniformly flawless. This is true across the board in the entire transportation/hospitality industry. Don't let the rare bad meal, unclean cabin/deck area, or unfriendly crew member spoil your vacation.

Bon Voyage !