What would be the one nugget of advice you would give cruising "virgin"?

Plan in advance what you want to do at the ports, do your research and decide what interests you. We normally don't "wing it" unless we have been to the port before and know what we are dealing with.

Also on board expenses add up very quickly so be prepared/budget for it- things like Gratuities, tours, drinks, etc. You don't want your final bill to be an unpleasant shock!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Relax and enjoy. There's no way you can see/do everything in the ports, so see what interests you most, and appreciate just being there! Remember .... you can go back again on another cruise and see more.

The first time I went to Venice, I was thrilled, walked and walked and walked, to see as much as possible, thinking I would probably never be there again. A couple of years later, a great deal on a cruise popped up, I was able to go back to Venice!! That same sort of thing has happened for a number of ports in various parts of world that I was sure I'd never get back to..

Do exactly what you are doing - research, research, research - especially on this board and the ports of call boards. Do a search for the "secrets" on the particular ship you are on as well as the general Princess secrets. You'll learn about secret doors, secret viewing areas, secret menu items. You'll see the same excursion companies recommended time and again. Ask any question - nothing is too stupid or too small.

On another note, my stepdaughter just returned from her first cruise (on another line) and was super disappointed in the size of the cabin and bathroom. Just keep in mind that they use a wide angled lens and objects may appear larger than they are!

We are taking our first cruise for our honeymoon on the Crown in July doing the Med. Just curious to know what you wished someone had told you before you went on your first cruise? :D

Don't let negatives ruin your cruise. Concentrate on the positive things.

Don't expect to be doing much internet on your phone or computer while onboard (Facebook, etc). Internet is very expensive and generally doesn't work very well. This one is a bit tough for me since I usually check it for work pretty regularly so I make sure everyone at work is prepared not to reach me.

Also on board expenses add up very quickly so be prepared/budget for it- things like Gratuities, tours, drinks, etc. You don't want your final bill to be an unpleasant shock!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

An addition to this suggestion would be to get printed copies of your onboard account during the cruise......better than sticker shock at the end of the cruise;)

The tips are already charged on drink purchases...so no "need" to add more. Order more than one entree / main / Dessert item on the menu if you want. If you eat at the buffet, find your table before getting your food. Check the "daily" activites paper closely the evening before ( it will be in your room the night before)...just to me sure you don't miss an opportunity to do something interesting. Stare out at the sea and enjoy every minute !

Congratulations!

That is a very good question. I remember our first cruise and we were afraid to just be ourselves. We didn't know that we could explore the ship, go everywhere we wanted 24/7. You can walk with your drink from inside to outside, leave your glass on an empty table and explore again. Virtually nothing is closed to you. If the door to the main theater is closed, they are probably rehearsing. The entire ship is yours. Food is available 24/7 and you do not have to sit at a table at the Lido area, you can take your plate outside or back to your cabin. You can take cookies for a late snack back to your cabin! Relax, enjoy your time and make memories! You will be hooked and booking your next cruise soon!

For your first cruise it would be fun to attend Sail Away on the main deck. It is a fun party atmosphere and hopefully the ship will be able to blow it's horn. There is music playing and you can have something to drink and stand at the rail and look at the land as you pull away. Do check out the back of the ship sometime for the view.

Go up on deck for 15 to 20 minutes before sunrise for beautiful color.

If you do decide you want to cruise again do see the FCC (Future Cruise Credit) Desk on board. The deposit for a future cruise costs $100 per person and is refundable if you change your mind. It is good for 2 years and can be extended for 2 years. If you decide to never use it, call and ask for a refund. You receive an On Board Credit (OBC) when you book your cruise. It is a very good deal.

Bon Voyage!

Gratuities, my first cruise my travel agent neglected to tell us about tipping. There five of us in the cabin. My DH and my three kids. We. Were on a tight budget for this cruise and what a surprise when envelopes were brought to our room. That was several years ago, 1984!

Getting out of the lift and cant work out which side of the ship your cabin is located?

Well check out the corridor carpet the majority of princess ships have a red edge to the Port side (even cabin numbers) and blue edge for Starboard (odd cabin numbers).

Sent from my iPad using Forums

When you attend muster don't go into your designated area first but wait about and go in later, but definitely before muster starts, that way you are at the back of the room and will be first out, the stairwells and lifts get extremely busy.

We then either decide to take our lifejackets to a bar for a drink until the tide of people subsides or run back to the room with the vests then go up to the lido deck for sail away.

All of the postings have great tips. Mine is a little different. If you or your husband to be have a tendency to get motion sickness be prepared with some medication. I am one who has experienced motion sickness. I find that taking Bonine several days before I cruise is my cure. I hope that you have a wonderful cruise and many happy years of marriage.

If you are exhausted after the wedding and travel to the port, don't try to do too much on the first few cruise days. Relax and enjoy each other. Be sure to let people know that it is your honeymoon. No need for selfies...people will be honored to take your photo. Get the photo package and have a photo taken on deck on formal night. Consider the drink packages (coffee, soda or booze) to avoid getting hit with a large bill at the end. If you have a balcony stateroom, do the $100.00 per couple special evening balcony dining with private service, menu, champagne and photo. Reserve this prior to your cruise for the night when you will be at port. Your friends and relatives can contact Princess to give you the wedding gift of cruise credits or special services that will enhance your honeymoon cruise. If they give you cruise credits and you don't use them all, you can always turn them in for cash at the end of the cruise. Cruise credits tied to a cruise line promotion can't be refunded while those purchased are refundable. Try new foods. If you don't like it, order something else. Don't forget to do some serious star gazing! Best wishes for a wonderful honeymoon!

Second vote for the Ultimate Balcony Dinner, especially on your honeymoon, at sail away. It is such a special experience.

Also, do research on things that may interest you at each port. Our first cruise, I feel like we wasted so much time trying to decide what to do when we got to the ports, and we missed so much

Congratulations!!

Use stairs when possible. Avoid elevators. You will be surprised how much walking you do. Get your legs in shape.

There are washing machines onboard to use. ($4/wash, $4/dry, using your cruise card. I bring my own soap so don't know the price of the packets available for sale too.) So no need to over pack. Leave some room in your cases for trinkets you might get along your travels.

I bring a highlighter to use on the patters. Use Princess at Sea on your electronic devices. You can message each other that way - if you ever spend time apart. . .

I also downloaded an app to my phone that has floor maps of all the cruise ships. It is a much easier map to follow than the one you get when you board.

Have a fantastic trip!

Find out if you get seasick ahead of time.

My first cruise I was told the ship was so big, seasickness wouldn't be an issue. They were wrong. It wasn't that it was a very rough cruise, but that I was very sensitive to the motion of the ocean. No OTC remedy helped me.

Since then, I always get a prescription for "the patch" ahead of time. I've spent many hours on cruises watching the pool water splash out of the pool on rough sea days with a smile on my face and not a hint of seasickness. I know I haven't lost my motion sensitivity because I still can't even check my email from my iPhone while riding shotgun in a car on the freeway.

Happy honeymoon!

Lyssa

Since this is a honeymoon cruise, make sure the name on your cruise and plane tickets matches the identification you are using. Or bring along your marriage certificate to document the name change, assuming the bride is changing her name. Sometimes the bride and groom book as Mr and Mrs, not realizing she doesn't have any I D with that name yet.

Ignore all of the "you absolutely must take this along" advice. You do not need to pack all of those things people say you should take. Really. Just enjoy yourself. The first cruise only happens once and it can be an incredible experience. Be happy. If anybody on the ship is negative just try to ignore them and have a wonderful time.

I agree that one should check their folio. It's really easy to do these days - even easier than it was before when there were just the printout kiosks near customer services. Now you can check on your phone or, on some ships, even on the TV in your cabin. Keep track of what you are spending and also watch for incorrect charges on your account. The crew are only human and there are a lot of passengers making purchases..

I am a bit envious of anybody who is on their first cruise. Enjoy yourself and don't fear looking like a n00b to anybody. Have a great time.