Is Bigger Always Better? - Oasis of the Seas March 12 2017 Review

Good morning, gentle readers!

Everyone well-rested and ready for another day of Storytime with CanadaCathi?

I’m going to pause the review here for a brief interlude and respond to some of the imaginary fan mail I have received from my multitude of fans.

First up is a question from PapaBear in Mattoon, WI;

Dear CanadaCathi,

I am a 300+ lb gentleman who is concerned about being comfortable on the ship. Are the beds really that great? Is the shower really that small? Will there be stuff I am unable to do due to my hearty huggable size?

Well, PapaBear, a cruise is certainly more comfortable for plus-size folks than, say, rides at Disney (although I’ve heard they have certain seats on some rides made to accommodate the ‘Pooh-sized’ girth, which I think is cool). The bathrooms are small, but larger than what I expected. The only thing I would like to change in the shower is the handheld showerhead; I’d love it if it was on an adjustable bar for the little tykes. Jelly tried to hang it up herself and cause about $956 in damage to the shampoo dispenser (just kidding, Michael fixed it for us). And yes, the beds really are that great. I normally sleep in a Queen, and I was just fine in the split bed. Jelly said I snored, but she sometimes makes stuff up so I wouldn’t trust her.

As far as activities on the ship, you won’t be able to do the zipline, since there is understandably a weight limit for that. And you may just want to be a casual observer at the Flow Rider, since that has both a weight minimum and maximum. If you are docking at Labadee there will be similar restrictions for the Dragon’s Breath/Dragon’s Tail, so stick to the beach or you should be ok to rent a jetski.

The Opal Theater (the theater where they show ‘Cats’) has fixed armrests that I noticed caused some discomfort for a few guests, so be prepared for that if you’re catching a show. The AquaTheater seats were more spacious, and there were also benches with no arms, as well as space in the back to accommodate wheelchairs. Also, side note, I saw a few rascals (mobility scooters) motoring around and they seemed to do ok space-wise.

Our next letter is from SingleInSeattle, and she writes;

CanadaCathi,

I would love to try a cruise but do not have anyone to travel with. I am afraid I would feel lonely and left out of things. How does that work for dinner seating? Would I enjoy a trip like this on my own?

I’m always amazed when I hear about singles who sit at home because they worry about traveling by themselves, either with or without children. I’ve never had a co-parenting partner and that’s how I knew it would be, so I just kind of assumed that Jelly and I would get into all kinds of hijinks ourselves. For example, I hadn’t been camping since I was 13 years old and I took Jelly for the first time when she was 2, and we discovered we LOVED it! I would hate to have missed out on all those hilariously (sometimes disastrous) awesome trips since. A cruise by yourself is like anything by yourself; it is what you make it. If you hide in your room the whole time or keep your nose stuck in a book, you aren’t going to meet new people and have interesting conversations. If you are a shy person it may be a little harder, but trust me, 98% of the cruisers I’ve met have been the friendliest people in the whole world. Just think, it’s a whole ship filled with happy people! They are relaxed, they are drinking, they are eating, they are swimming, they are there to have fun just like you – so talk to them! Ask people where they’re from, and if they cruise often (because one thing cruisers love to talk about is cruising!). If you are single traveling with children, strike up conversations with other parents who have kids around the same age; if you’re lucky you’ll get a twofer (friends for you PLUS friends for your kids). There are a lot of activities on the ship that people do individually, like going to the shows; I chatted quite often with other people sitting by themselves who were waiting for a movie to start, or who were at the pool alone.

As far as MDR seating it’s really your choice – if you don’t want to make small talk while eating and want to focus on your food (I admire that), you can get a table for two and just be by yourself. Or you can ask to be seated at a bigger table. I’ve done it both ways, and while I’m a social person I find that by the end of the day I’m exhausted and just want to EAT, plus it’s been a little hit-and-miss for me with table companions, so Jelly and I get a table for two. The smaller tables are usually squeezed in among the bigger tables so you’re practically sitting with other people anyhow, so if you do want to share exciting news of the day’s exploits or get info, you just have to lean over a little. As long as people don’t touch my cheese rolls.

Keep those pretend letters coming, and the next review installment will be ready soon!

Like you we sailed FOS last year in April! This was our 2nd time on Freedom and it still is our favorite ship! We love to sail from Port Canaveral so we are excited to try the Oasis, which we have booked for September 2017. With that said I am looking forward to reading your review!

Thank you for your very entertaining review! We just got off of the Oasis earlier this month and, while on board, I booked a "girls" cruise on the Oasis next February for our birthdays!

I'd like to address PapaBear about his concerns. I am a plus size older woman and I find that the "tube" shower in the regular (not suites) rooms is not soap drop friendly!:eek: If ...... no, when I drop the soap, I must open the door to pick it up!:mad: So, PapaBear, if at all possible and if you want a more enjoyable showering experience, spend some of your hard-earned $$ and get a jr suite or above, which will get you a bathtub and a bigger showering space!!;) The girls and I did book a jr suite for next February!

Thank you for your very entertaining review! We just got off of the Oasis earlier this month and, while on board, I booked a "girls" cruise on the Oasis next February for our birthdays!

I'd like to address PapaBear about his concerns. I am a plus size older woman and I find that the "tube" shower in the regular (not suites) rooms is not soap drop friendly!:eek: If ...... no, when I drop the soap, I must open the door to pick it up!:mad: So, PapaBear, if at all possible and if you want a more enjoyable showering experience, spend some of your hard-earned $$ and get a jr suite or above, which will get you a bathtub and a bigger showering space!!;) The girls and I did book a jr suite for next February!

Oh jealoussssssssssssss.

Day 5 – At Sea

Weather Forecast – 79 and overcast

Drink of the Day – Melon Mojito

Wakey, wakey, eggs and, uh, ham. If it’s 8am it’s time for breakfast in the Windjammer again. We were worn out still so mostly just lazed around the room after breakfast. It was cool and breezy out on deck, and we had noticed a sushi making class in the compass. Like the good little planner I am I had asked guest services if we needed to pre-register, and they cruelly lied to me and said, ‘No, just show up!’, and I trusted them and it was a TRAGIC MISTAKE. Almost. Because I most definitely should have pre-registered, like every single other person who was there. We almost weren’t allowed to join, but luckily for us someone else didn’t show up.

33547406622_da409208e6_n.jpg

Freedom doesn’t have Izumi, so this was our first experience with it. I’m a little gun-shy about hibachi restaurants while on vacation, because this one time at band camp I mean in Cuba at the Iberostar Laguna Azul we ate at the ‘hibachi’ restaurant and it was ‘terrible’. But that’s Cuba for you. Don’t get me started on Cuba, I know everyone is all excited to check it out but it was cold and the food was the worst and the tourist peso is a rip.The coffee is REALLY good though, that’s about it. So you should go, have a coffee, and leave. Maybe cruise there for one day.

33547402832_dedaaba9ed_n.jpg

33319453630_5d2009fb99_n.jpg

So there we were, in our paper hats and our aprons and with a bowl of rice that I could have eaten all by myself (love rice, especially sushi rice). I’ll tell you a secret, I make my own sushi, so the class was more for Jelly and for the entertainment value than anything. Although it had definitely been a while, because I compulsively over-patted my first roll and my rolls were more triangles than squares.

33319455280_f575eaf3cd_n.jpg

So yep, they led us through making ebi, a California roll, a spicy tuna roll, and a shrimp tempura roll. We were glad we’d brought our Freestyle cups with a little caffeine because there was just water to drink.

After we’d made our rolls they took them away and sliced them up for us all purty, and we got to eat them. Side note – the class was advertised as being from 10:30a-12p, however we were done and eating at 11a, which was a little early for me for raw fish, so I didn’t even eat half my stack. We left at 11:15a with certificates, which was cute.

33319456120_c4b8a4c544_n.jpg

33547405932_89c81595b0_n.jpg

The waiter informed us that since we’d taken the class we’d get 20% off dinner at Izumi. Great, I said, I’ve got a reservation for tomorrow!

After that we couldn’t decide what to do. Adventure Ocean was having a ‘Volcano Family Science Activity’ in the lab at 12:15, but we were both kind of, meh, so we skipped that. I tried to get info from AO and Guest Services on the Pets at Sea program (like Build a Bear, but cheaper), but it was next to impossible to track down. We decided to head to the pool deck, but it was very windy. Jelly didn’t care, she loves cold water, so she hung out in the mini lazy river thing (or ‘toilet bowl’, as I’ve heard it called), for two straight hours. I sat and watched people’s stuff blow off the upper level onto ours.

Edited by CanadaCathi

After Jelly’s swim we were hungry again, so we decided to try the hot dog place on the Boardwalk. Jelly changed her mind immediately and got a kummelweck from the Park Café instead, but I tried the Wunderdog. It was VERY difficult to choose. It was pretty good, but I was hoping for more of a traditional Cincinnati-style bratwurst (white, I’m not a savage), and it wasn’t that, but still, pretty good. They also had little cups of slaw or potato salad, but I didn’t try either of those. I wanted to save room because I had MOM DINNER PLANS.

32860967314_09194b1fa6_n.jpg

I had the drink of the day with my dog, a Melon Mojito, which was truly disgusting. Served me right. If there’s no muddling of mint and no fresh sugarcane you shouldn’t be allowed to call it a mojito. Yes, of course I still drank it, hello, it’s still me.

After our snack we picked up our souvenirs from the little shop on the Boardwalk; a stuffed ‘Alex the Lion’ for Jelly, and an Oasis ornament for me. Then it was nap time for mama. Ahhhh, sweet ship nap.

Since my dinner reservation was for 6:30p I took Jelly to the kids club at 5:30p; they take them to dinner in the Windjammer at 5:40. She said they ‘went a special way and sat in a special section’, which I’d always wondered about, but I don’t have a lot more details than that. According to her they limit them to the burgers/dogs-type stuff, which pissed her off, but who knows what the reality is.

Then it was time –

For 150 Central Park.

Amazing review, Cathi, thanks so much! We board in 2 weeks and are really excited! Quick question--you've mentioned the C&A coupons--is there a coupon book or where are you getting these things? I feel like i read alot about C&A benefits but I never use them or get them. We are almost Emerald now and I would love to hear how to truly get benefits out of it. I read about a buy one, get one at all bars but again, is that a coupon? Do we ask? Any help would be great! Thanks SO much!

Ooooh! CanadaCathi, glad to see you back on board and given' us some more cruise fun! I am a fellow GTA'er (Greater Toronto Area for those outside the '6 and the '5). I work out near the airport and remember last year the hotel you stayed at was kinda cruddy. I hope you found something more to your liking this year? Thanks for the great review - enjoying every minute of it - esp the fan mail. Very cute.

Amazing review, Cathi, thanks so much! We board in 2 weeks and are really excited! Quick question--you've mentioned the C&A coupons--is there a coupon book or where are you getting these things? I feel like i read alot about C&A benefits but I never use them or get them. We are almost Emerald now and I would love to hear how to truly get benefits out of it. I read about a buy one, get one at all bars but again, is that a coupon? Do we ask? Any help would be great! Thanks SO much!

You're welcome, and great question. I use a TA who sent me the coupon booklet a week or two prior to sailing. I'm not sure how you get it if you don't use a TA - you should have received one at Gold though. There was a coupon for 10% off Royal merch (with a min purchase), a coupon for 2 hours of free babysitting in AO after 10p (used that to see La La Land!), a buy one/get one drink (can only use once), etc. The full list is posted in a bunch of places. But yes, I had an actual physical booklet and I showed the coupons when I used them. Maybe ask Guest Services when you board if you don't use a TA? Omg 2 weeks yayyyyyyyyyyyy!!!

Ooooh! CanadaCathi, glad to see you back on board and given' us some more cruise fun! I am a fellow GTA'er (Greater Toronto Area for those outside the '6 and the '5). I work out near the airport and remember last year the hotel you stayed at was kinda cruddy. I hope you found something more to your liking this year? Thanks for the great review - enjoying every minute of it - esp the fan mail. Very cute.

Yes! TO represent!

Oh god yeah, I found a MUCH better hotel just down the street! I forgot to mention it, I've used it probably a half a dozen times since last year's trip and just kind of forgot it was a change. It's the Four Points Sheraton Toronto Airport. It's a little bit more expensive, but helloooooooooooo, they actually have an elevator. And they've got a pretty decent indoor pool/hot tub, which Jelly loves, and I felt like my car was MUCH safer in their onsite lot right out front of the hotel (my driver side mirror was intact when I got home this trip, a nice change). Their shuttle is very reliable too. I haven't eaten at their restaurant (I made the mistake of taking Jelly to Tucker's, and now that's all she wants when we're near there), reviews online are mixed but whatever. Elevator.

As I raise my right hand, I will behave for the rest of your review and follow along quietly. I promise.:)

Andrew

I have cruised with Andrew and Lisa in the past and can say I don't believe this promise either ;p Andrew - we're doing 2 Royal cruises this year Allure and Oasis, May and December. Hoping to meet up with you two again some day! -- Maria

Posted to follow this thread - loving this review.

Contrary to popular belief many Canadians pronounce it the same as you do.

The only time I have heard someone say "aboot " is in a satirical manner.

I... I... I think I love you.

Although I do love Jim Carrey's over-the-top accent in Anchorman 2.

Pop Quiz, Hotshot

150 Central Park Review Lead In

Let’s do something fun to see how much you think you have learned about me over the course of this review, as a way of introducing the 150 Central Park review. Which of these statements is NOT true?

1. I am a PADI-certified diver who swam with sharks in St. Maarten

2. I am a thrill-seeking sky diver with 14 jumps under my belt

3. I am one of the original founders of an annual hacker conference held in NC, now in its 13th year

4. I am a hobby cook and have a collection of over 40 different varieties of salt

Pop Quiz, Hotshot

150 Central Park Review Lead In

Let’s do something fun to see how much you think you have learned about me over the course of this review, as a way of introducing the 150 Central Park review. Which of these statements is NOT true?

1. I am a PADI-certified diver who swam with sharks in St. Maarten

2. I am a thrill-seeking sky diver with 14 jumps under my belt

3. I am one of the original founders of an annual hacker conference held in NC, now in its 13th year

4. I am a hobby cook and have a collection of over 40 different varieties of salt

This feels like a trick question - like all or none could be right?!

I vote #2. How far off am I?

I think as a SW PM that 3 seems reasonable and you already know how to make sushi - so 4 seems possible too.. You had the saltine / cheerio trick which make me think maybe you dived before? You are not doing the thrill seeking activities on oasis (rock, zip, flow) so I am defaulting to that one...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes! TO represent!

Oh god yeah, I found a MUCH better hotel just down the street! I forgot to mention it, I've used it probably a half a dozen times since last year's trip and just kind of forgot it was a change. It's the Four Points Sheraton Toronto Airport. It's a little bit more expensive, but helloooooooooooo, they actually have an elevator. And they've got a pretty decent indoor pool/hot tub, which Jelly loves, and I felt like my car was MUCH safer in their onsite lot right out front of the hotel (my driver side mirror was intact when I got home this trip, a nice change). Their shuttle is very reliable too. I haven't eaten at their restaurant (I made the mistake of taking Jelly to Tucker's, and now that's all she wants when we're near there), reviews online are mixed but whatever. Elevator.

Actually that one looks pretty nice - I drive by occasionally on my way to Zet's (24 hour diner just along the road a bit - good Greek food and Re-DONK-ulous burgers) based on your photos of Jelly's lunch choices, I think she'd like it. Maybe you can tempt her away from Tucker's (ugh).

Oh - and I vote for #2 as well... you mention making sushi and rum cake, so figure you are down with #4, and as you're (not your) a software PM, figure you are down with #3 too.

Edited by KiwiGal117
Voted

I... I... I think I love you.

Although I do love Jim Carrey's over-the-top accent in Anchorman 2.

We Canucks have some goofy traits-

eating french fries smothered with cheese curds and gravy, drinking beer that is stronger than tap water, watching grown men skate on frozen water while smashing each other and trying to put a black disc into the net, milk in bags, it is pop not soda.. the occasional use of the phrase " eh" ( guility)

But never, and I mean never have I heard a normal English speaking Canadian say a-boot.

When you were at Sabor restaurant ...could you order a margarita with dinner or did you have to go to bar? [emoji4]

Yes, you could, but they apparently don't typically do the full usual Sabor bar menu. Despite the fact the bar is seriously coaster-throwing distance from the restaurant.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have cruised with Andrew and Lisa in the past and can say I don't believe this promise either ;p Andrew - we're doing 2 Royal cruises this year Allure and Oasis, May and December. Hoping to meet up with you two again some day! -- Maria

Posted to follow this thread - loving this review.

...... sitting here quietly thinking about this loaded statement. :confused:

Can't help myself.... I can't wait to catch up with you and Doug in the future. :)

I think it is #1. Hopping on a little bit of a soapbox here, I don't mean to offend. But there is no way you learned the cracker/cheerio trick if you are a certified diver. Although a neat trick (in a cruise vacation kind of way) , fish will swim around you anyway, there is really no need to alter the eco-system of marine animals by feeding them human food. Just like dairy doesn't agree with you, sweet wine doesn't agree with me (ptewwee), human food doesn't agree so well with fish.

Take only pictures, leave only bubbles.