Day at Glacier Bay

I_Luv_To_Travel

I'm taking a Princess cruise in May and on the itinerary it say arrive at Glacier Bay at 9.15am and depart at 7.30 pm.

Does this mean that we don't enter the area until 9.15 and after 7.30 we will be outside the Bay? Not sure if my question makes sense but trying to work out times that I will need to be out on deck.

I know Princess will say more about this on the cruise but just wanted an idea beforehand.

Thanks

This entire day is scenic sailing. , dusk to dawn. :)

It isn't going to "work" with you thinking there will be a time for you to be out on deck.

If all you are interested in is glaciers, it will be obvious when you get to Margerie, but most people simply miss Reid and the first pass of Lamphugh.

Figure out what is going to work the best for you. If you are going to be out extended, be certain to have hat and gloves, and layers as needed.

I am out all day, very few people are. I skip meals, shows etc.

Going in this direction does have the advantage of going past Point Adolphus 30-60 minutes after leaving Glacier Bay, on the starboard. side. Consistent humpback feeding area.

You won't be sailing Glacier Bay all day.

You'll be sailing it a couple of hours.

Again I am talking Glacier Bay.

Afterwards you will sail other areas, some of which will offer scenic viewing more then others.

Weather can be a factor as to how long you will be outside. It could be sunny, windy, cloudy, pouring down rain, cold. I've sailed it more times then I can count and seen it all. If the weather is nasty you might view some of it from inside the ship.

Yes, be prepared to layer clothing.

If you want to get a good viewing spot you will find that many people will be outside (depending on the weather) at 8:00 AM.

A few photos of Glacier Bay from one of those days that was a picture perfect day.

This is an exception and was one of those once a season days.

Keith

DSC_4194.jpg

DSC_4195.jpg

DSC_4198.jpg

DSC_4203.jpg

DSC_4215.jpg

DSC_4216.jpg

You will want to be out for a good part of the day. For lunch we found 30 minutes to go to the buffet and grab something. On our cruise they opened the bow and let us hang out there. They also served coffee, tea and hot chocolate on the bow.

IMG_7006.jpg

You won't be sailing Glacier Bay all day.

You'll be sailing it a couple of hours.

I disagree. I checked the Patters from my most recent Princess cruise in Glacier Bay. We picked up the park rangers at 6 AM and dropped them off as we were leaving at 3 PM. That’s a total of 9 hours. I’d consider that to be “all day”, not just a couple of hours!

If you think you were only in Glacier Bay a couple of hours, you must have missed A LOT!

I disagree. I checked the Patters from my most recent Princess cruise in Glacier Bay. We picked up the park rangers at 6 AM and dropped them off as we were leaving at 3 PM. That’s a total of 9 hours. I’d consider that to be “all day”, not just a couple of hours!

If you think you were only in Glacier Bay a couple of hours, you must have missed A LOT!

I agree.

But, there are plenty of people who think being out an hour, within the glacier viewing is "Glacier Bay". I know it isn't :) :) :) There is so much more potential to this day, especially with my wildlife priority- of which I have been greatly rewarded.

Yes I intend to be outside virtually all day. So I have to be outside well before 9.15am?

No, you, don't "have to". I'm speaking from my perspective- I am always out, at dawn, because, my priority is seeing wildlife- in the wild. :) It is endless scenery as well. I enjoy it and won't give it up. :) There are LOT of people who, it simply does not matter and they have other priorities. Everyone is different. I will say, I'm a minority, very few people are out on decks in Alaska, outside of that peak hour of glacier viewing. Especially considering the thousands of people on board.

I understand.

At 6:00 AM (and I've been out there) I didn't see much to see. There is a few hours where you see the most.

Some of this to me comes down to the weather and the time of year you are sailing as to how long one would be outside and how much they will see.

I have been there where those first few hours the cloud ceiling was so low that it was almost dark with a lot less to see then on days where it was much clearer such as from the day I posted the photos.

But yes, I stand corrected technically the amount of time you are cruising that day is more then a few hours.

Let's hope the person has a lot of good weather that day.

One observation. I noticed a big difference in the amount of ice this last time around compared to just a few years ago. That is sad.

Keith

Okay, but just to clarify it in my head... y'all are saying:

[a] The cruising of Glacier Bay involves about 8-9 hours;

Practically all of those 8-9 hours are scenic, beyond that which we experience going between ports, normally;

[c] About 2-3 hours of that involve actually being relatively close to active glaciers.

Is it safe to assume that those 2-3 hours are spread throughout the 8-9 hours, or is there are certain portion of the 8-9 hours where those 2-3 hours are found?

I will say, I'm a minority, very few people are out on decks in Alaska, outside of that peak hour of glacier viewing. Especially considering the thousands of people on board.

I agree, I'm always amazed there are so few people out on deck with me enjoying the beautiful view. On every cruise it's the same few people I see on deck all the time.

Oh well, it sure makes it nice and quiet for me :)

If you are coming into the entrance to the Bay (which is about 40 miles from the glaciers) at 9:15 you are southbound out of Whittier. Northbound ships enter around 6 am. Starting around 7:30 - 8am on Princess your naturalist should be up on the bridge spotting wildlife and giving a general introduction to your day. They start about the time the ship picks up the pilots at Cape Spencer, although this probably depends on the ship and captain. You can pick up the naturalist on the ship channel on your TV. He or she will announce wildlife and give a little history and information about the area before the rangers board. The rangers get on about 20 minutes after you enter the bay. They will give a brief announcement about their schedule. Usually the ranger program follows around 11am. Ranger narration begins at Queen Inlet and continues intermittently until the ship leaves the glacier area.

Okay, but just to clarify it in my head... y'all are saying:

[a] The cruising of Glacier Bay involves about 8-9 hours;

Practically all of those 8-9 hours are scenic, beyond that which we experience going between ports, normally;

[c] About 2-3 hours of that involve actually being relatively close to active glaciers.

Is it safe to assume that those 2-3 hours are spread throughout the 8-9 hours, or is there are certain portion of the 8-9 hours where those 2-3 hours are found?

The glaciers are at the far end of the bay, so a couple hours of sailing to and from and a couple hours in the middle at the glaciers.

The glaciers are at the far end of the bay, so a couple hours of sailing to and from and a couple hours in the middle at the glaciers.
Thanks. But I thought I read someone earlier post something about some glaciers (?) that many folks miss because they're reached so early in the morning... did I misunderstand that?

Thanks. But I thought I read someone earlier post something about some glaciers (?) that many folks miss because they're reached so early in the morning... did I misunderstand that?

There is some glacier viewing earlier in the trip. But the ship usually spends more time at them later in the afternoon after stopping at the glacier at the end of the bay, usually Margerie Glacier.

There is very scenic sailing and a very good chance to see wildlife for an hour or two before and after you enter Glacier Bay. The wildlife is not bound by a "fence" inside the bay :D