Forward Penthouse on Sun - Too Cold for Alaska?

bizeemom4

I'm very interested in booking a forward penthouse on the Sun in September. I've read the reviews that it's windy and I've been on secret, forward decks on Carnival so I know that it can get very windy.

I've also read that the forward cabins are great choices for Alaska. This cruise has two days of cruising the inside passage as well as a day in Glacier bay. How cold and windy are we talking? Miserable or put on pants and a light jacket?

I haven't sailed on the Sun but I did an Alaska cruise on the Pearl last September. We had a forward facing penthouse balcony and loved every second of it. When sitting on the loungers (even when the ship was sailing full speed) the wind would be mostly blocked by the lower railing. We were quite comfortable sitting outside on our balcony. The butler brought extra blankets and hot chocolate for us on Glacier Bay day. I don't think I went inside once between 8am and noon that day! We dressed comfortably with a jacket, long pants, socks, boots, hat, and gloves. The view from the front of the ship is unbeatable!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have never done Alaska but have done OS front facing on the Sun and loved it

Having seen photos of Alaska cruises they open up the front of the boat you could go and stand at the front with the masses or you could enjoy the views from your balcony I know which one I will do

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm very interested in booking a forward penthouse on the Sun in September. I've read the reviews that it's windy and I've been on secret, forward decks on Carnival so I know that it can get very windy.

I've also read that the forward cabins are great choices for Alaska. This cruise has two days of cruising the inside passage as well as a day in Glacier bay. How cold and windy are we talking? Miserable or put on pants and a light jacket?

The forward balcony penthouses are our favorite cabins on the Jewel class and these ships. The views are unbeatable. Yes, they can be windy, but you can step back a bid behind the walls and get some shelter from the wind.

As for Alaska, we have done several cruises in the forward penthouses. It is absolutely the best way, particularly for Glacier Bay. Weather in the summer in SE Alaska is extremely changeable. You can start out the morning in a fleece and jacket, and as the day goes on, take them off...then put them back on again. Bottom line, just bring layers. Make sure one of them is waterproof. You will absolutely love having the huge balcony and expansive views all through your cruise.

If you are looking at the 10 day ship positioning cruise from Vancouver to San Francisco there are 4 inexpensive suites left on Deck 8.

Contrary to what you think Alaska's late autumn weather should be it is very mild - July-August are the prime warm months and

that lingers well into September and early October. The early part of the season May into June Alaska is just warming to the

tourist season. What was posted earlier about layering is strong good advice - make one layer waterproof and/or a windbreaker.

Take along a small back pack to store each layer as needed. If your hands are sensitive to the weather take along gloves and

hand cream to ward off the elements (handling cold wet hand rails on vessels).

Like the doctor who prescribed "If it hurts don't do it" - don't foolishly exposure yourself to the slings and arrows of the "Eye of the Tiger" weather - YES the forward suites are doing just that looking that tiger right in the eye !

So take shelter and make your visit to the weather front line briefly !

Aft suites are better suited and sheltered from the elements and are more expensive.

Alaska weather can change many times during a cruise - locate those prime locations where the treasured photos can be taken in advance of the storm.

You only need to be exposed long enough to click that shutter on the camera.

Remember this is not an Artic cruise - the inside passage for the most part is warmed by the Japanese current

and rain is the common element during the cruise season - winter and snow happens long after the ships

have repositioned somewhere warm and sunny !

Exception is the Alaska Maritime Ferry Service but that is a whole-nother kind of cruising !

The forward facing PH is the best cabins on the ship to cruise Alaska. We did it on the Jewel two summers ago. We sat for hours watching the whales and dolphin each evening. Most times in a light jacket. Bring your binoculars.

Yes, on glacier watching days, we bundled up. The suites held a party and we went up to grab some warm wine and then headed back down to our room. We had our butler bring some extra deck blankets. Neighbors were always out in shorts and t-shirts. A bit chilly for us.

So happy to read the positive reviews on the forward facing PH suites. I have been questioning myself constantly...thinking that I would not have a good view (I noticed the balcony railing was not see through or rails but a solid piece of metal. I worried that you could not see through it). This has eased my mind!! Thank you.

So happy to read the positive reviews on the forward facing PH suites. I have been questioning myself constantly...thinking that I would not have a good view (I noticed the balcony railing was not see through or rails but a solid piece of metal. I worried that you could not see through it). This has eased my mind!! Thank you.

Although we love the forward penthouses, the balcony rail height is one drawback. You can't sit in the provided deck chairs and see over the balcony rail.

The solid hull is what sweeps the wind up and over your head. We had our butler bring down extra deck chairs to supplement our loungers. 200+ degree views all around. Beautiful!

c7c904a08b11673e12caaecd72bed0c2.jpg

eededb4b3f650f338f038df4415934f4.jpg

fc53160e9a57f05efeb027f8ff348d1f.jpg

BirdTravels:

Mahalo Nui Loa - Thank You Very Much for the great photos !

The third photo viewing a glacier shows the small bow deck that is normally closed to the public.

To insure as many as possible have the opportunity to view the prime event it is opened for that occasion.

The bow deck has capacity limitation and is not handicap accessible - check with guest services or the

Daily newspaper for more information about it !

Note this is not the Bikini Deck you were looking for --- the visible pool is for crew use only !

Just wanted to add to all the positive feedback you have received regarding forward facing suite for your Alaska cruise, that in my personal experience the forward facing balconies are somehow even better "protected" from the wind on the Norwegian Sun than forward facing balconies on ships in the Jewel class - it must have something to do with the shape of the balconies and the dividers on that particular ship. And then you add that when sailing in "sightseeing" waters the ship's speed is very slow, so not much wind to talk about anyway....

The forward facing PH is the best cabins on the ship to cruise Alaska. We did it on the Jewel two summers ago. We sat for hours watching the whales and dolphin each evening. Most times in a light jacket. Bring your binoculars.

Yes, on glacier watching days, we bundled up. The suites held a party and we went up to grab some warm wine and then headed back down to our room. We had our butler bring some extra deck blankets. Neighbors were always out in shorts and t-shirts. A bit chilly for us.

I will be bundled up under blankets I am sure. My husband will probably be in tshirts and shorts. He hardly wears a coat here in PA in the winter.