Best transportation to NYC

We are flying into ERW on June 15 for a cruise on Anthem leaving on the 17th. We wanted to spend a couple days in the city. We have booked Springhill Suites in Midtown as we wanted to be close to Times Square. Curious as to what those of you who have experience with NYC think is the best mode of transportation from EWR to hotel, then hotel to port? We are planning to go with a car company such as Dial 7. Is this the smartest way? We already have transpiration post cruise back to airport with Royal Caribbean.

We are flying into ERW on June 15 for a cruise on Anthem leaving on the 17th. We wanted to spend a couple days in the city. We have booked Springhill Suites in Midtown as we wanted to be close to Times Square. Curious as to what those of you who have experience with NYC think is the best mode of transportation from EWR to hotel, then hotel to port? We are planning to go with a car company such as Dial 7. Is this the smartest way? We already have transpiration post cruise back to airport with Royal Caribbean.

For me "best transportation" would depend on the time of the day and the day of the week. June 15 is a Thursday - what time does your flight arrive? Your options are car service, taxi, NJ Transit train, airport bus, plus Uber and Lyft. Between 3 and 7 pm I would definitely be considering the train to New York Penn Station and walking or cabbing to Springhill suites, which is only about 2 avenues and 4 blocks from NYPS.

From Manhattan to Cape Liberty a car service would be "best", but public transit would be cheapest.

We will be arriving at JFK at 4PM on Sept. 30 and need to be on our ship in Manhattan no later than 7PM. What would be the best way to make that trip and be sure we are on time?

That's cutting it way too close. You have absolutely no wiggle room. Are you sure about the 7 pm? Your ship sails at 8 pm and usually folks have to be on board 90 minutes ahead due to TSA requirements. Is there any chance of changing your flight to fly in earlier, preferably to Newark Airport instead of JFK?

Even though you might have a car service waiting at the curb for you, there are so many points of failure - the plane is late, the luggage is delayed, or you get caught in a traffic jam on one of the routes to Manhattan. It's a Sat night and many folks will be headed into Manhattan for the evening.

I don't suppose there is any way you could do this trip with carry on luggage only?

Could you provide more details about what airline you are flying and what airport you are coming from? The New Yorkers who know JFK can tell you a lot about specific airlines and the terminals they use as well as other insider tips.

If you stay with this flight and end up missing the ship, you need a serious plan B to get to Boston to pick up the ship 2 days later. I can help with that. Hopefully you will have travel insurance that would cover some of the travel interruption expenses.

Carol is 100% correct, for example Delta Terminal 4 you could have very very long walk just to get to baggage claim from gate B50+. I also doubt all aboard is 7p with an 8pm sail, double check that.

There is never quick service getting your bags at JFK. Even if it's a long walk most likely you still have to wait for your bags.

I would be proactive and change the flight now.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There is never quick service getting your bags at JFK. Even if it's a long walk most likely you still have to wait for your bags.

I would be proactive and change the flight now.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Unfortunately this is the best advice. If you miss the ship, not only will you miss two days of the cruise, but you will incur a lot of inconvenience and extra expense, even with travel insurance (assuming insurance would even cover you for making unrealistic travel plans). A last second hotel in Manhattan will likely cost you several hundred dollars. The next day you'll be on a bus or train to Boston where you'll be looking for another hotel room in a very pricey city. You might get a good deal on Hotwire or Priceline, but no guarantees.

We will be arriving at JFK at 4PM on Sept. 30 and need to be on our ship in Manhattan no later than 7PM. What would be the best way to make that trip and be sure we are on time?

A helicopter comes to mind, going from JFK to the East River heliport and then a taxi from there. Other than that, I don't think there's any way you can get to your ship in time. Arriving at Newark (EWR) could be better, but even that might not work. Traffic to the Enchanted Island at that hour can be a bear, even on weekends.

Edited by Langoustine