New to Celebrity

RoyalFan2011

I am a D+ member for Royal Caribbean. I am looking at booking my first Celebrity cruise. I would be sailing with my then 15 year old daughter. We tend to cruise in Grand Suites. What is the equivalent on Celebrity? For anyone who has sailed both lines, what are the differences? At 15 will there be areas she cannot go, like the Solarium on RC? I just think it is time for us to try something different. Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Having not sailed in a Grand Suite on Royal I can't make a comparison but have a suggestion.

Go to Celebrity's website, look at the ship you are thinking to book and then look at the various staterooms. The Celebrity site has a fairly detailed description of each suite that not only has photos but a list of included amenities ( like butler, private lounge, etc). Then you can determine which features/amenities are most important to you and your daughter.

With your D+ status, you will be reciprocated with Elite status on Celebrity ... but I think you automatically get the Go Best package with suites (??) so not sure if that is a huge benefit.

Your daughter will be allowed at certain times in the Solarium ... they have family hours listed. But even with that, not sure if they would preclude a 15 year old with her parent from going at any hour, provided she isn't splashing around and causing problems for other pax.

As far as the differences in Celebrity and Royal Caribbean (can't speak to the suites), the food is so much better on Celebrity! I mean, worlds better!! The specialty restaurants on both are just excellent ... I think they are more expensive on Celebrity, though.

There will probably not be many others that are the same age as your daughter on Celebrity ... depending on the itinerary, I would guess. I have been on many Celebrity cruises and have never seen more than a handful of children or teenagers on board. Most of their activities don't cater to non-adults although they do have (I think) a teen center. It just won't be very crowded. Even on during the school year cruises on RCCL, I've seen way more kids and teenagers than I've ever seen on Celebrity. Our 26 year old neighbor just went on a cruise with us and her mom ... I think she was the youngest person on board. We sure got great service from the young men working on the ship. :D

If you choose one of the S Class ships, there is a lawn on the top deck and they have activities such as croquet or bocci ball. That might be fun for her. There is also the hot glass show that is not to be missed and they do seem to make a big deal over younger passengers that attend ... which is so nice!! And, I think there is always a location where they air family appropriate movies.

We just love Celebrity ... but are probably older than you, not to mention your 15 year old daughter. Just passing along our experiences since we've cruised both lines. RCCL is definitely oriented more toward teens and families but as mentioned, if you choose a summertime and 7 night itinerary, there may be more people her age on board ... and thus, more activities geared towards her age group.

I don't think there is an equivalent to a grand suite. That's what we typically stay in on RC and have done both a sky suite and celebrity suite on celebrity. The sky suite is about equal to a junior suite in size but it includes all the suite perks. The celebrity suite is much more spacious-not sure if it's actually bigger than a grand suite or just different because the bedroom actually has a door.

Celebrity is more refined than royal but certainly not stuffy or boring. I love them both but they are different experiences. I haven't seen many kids on board but I have sailed while school is in session so I'm sure there are more during summer and holidays.

Sent from my iPad using Forums