Flight out of Barcelona

numberguy

Everyone,

We're on the November 23, 2017, Morocco/Canary Islands cruise on the Spirit. The only decent flights back to the US we can get for the day of disembarkation on United leave at 10:40 am, but the schedule currently shows that we get back into Barcelona at 5 am. I know it's tough, and MMMV, and NCL's recommendation is no flights before noon, but what do you think about trying to get on a 10:40 am flight out of Barcelona? Not urgent to purchase a flight, just looking at this point.

--Michael

Why not stay a night dont have the pressure.

You would need to check in 3 hours before for a long haul flight and then you need time to clear the ship and get to the airport you would need to be leaving the ship by around 6.45 it is a tight call

Why not stay a night dont have the pressure.

You would need to check in 3 hours before for a long haul flight and then you need time to clear the ship and get to the airport you would need to be leaving the ship by around 6.45 it is a tight call

Yeah, it is a tight call. It's just that we disembark on a Sunday, and I was trying to avoid having to take a vacation day on the following day (Monday). This is just me worrying about what if my new boss doesn't want me taking that many days off in a row. I'm job searching now, and I think I'm inches away from getting an offer, and just want to be prepared for requesting eight work days off, and having to negotiate down a day or so. Just preplanning eight months in advance.

--Michael

I think you'll be fine, I've done this trip 3 times on the Epic (so different itinerary but same port times) and had 1030am flights each time. I've used taxis and NCLs transfer coaches and had loads of time to spare...I'm doing the trip again in July, same situation and flight times. Hope this info helps you decide what to do!

After our trip last year, we had a 9:50 flight from Barcelona to london Gatwick, we travelled to the airport by metro & renfe train.

Left the ship 7;00am , got the airport within an hour.

It is doable , plenty of taxis, ncl coaches (which are expensive ) we had tickets for the port bus which does not run on a sunday morning till about 10:00am much to our horror & caused us to panic a little bit.

Everything turned out okay in the end.

Barcelona has 2 terminals, make sure taxi goes to correct terminals.

You probably can make and be there with time to spare. The issue for me would be more about how stressed I might be on that last day. I did this itinerary last year, and had the same flight decision you're now making. I decided I didn't want that kind of stress on my last day, so booked a flight the following morning. But, then, I ended up having to get up at 4 a.m on the last day of my vacation to get to the airport (the 10:30ish flight wasn't available on that day). As bad as it was to get up that early on vacation, it worked out great for me because I'd made some friends on the cruise who were doing a B2B and Barcelona was essentially a port day for them and we spent the day together. But, if I hadn't I'd have been kicking myself for not taking the risk on the 10:40 flight the day before. As it was, we were off the ship and on our way at 8 a.m. and that was being leisurely about it. I could have easily gotten off much earlier than that. So, after rambling a bit there--if I were making the decision again and I preferred to not miss another day of work then I would take the risk based on my experience last year. Of course YMMV

We're on the November 23, 2017, Morocco/Canary Islands cruise on the Spirit. The only decent flights back to the US we can get for the day of disembarkation on United leave at 10:40 am, but the schedule currently shows that we get back into Barcelona at 5 am. I know it's tough, and MMMV, and NCL's recommendation is no flights before noon, but what do you think about trying to get on a 10:40 am flight out of Barcelona? Not urgent to purchase a flight, just looking at this point.

Should be no problems. We have done it before on the Epic. Best to do self walkoff with all of your bags. There is no customs checks in Barcelona. Just as fast as you can walk down the gangway, through the terminal and out to the curb, there are a constant turnover of taxis at the taxi stand.

Agree with all who have said that it is no problem with taxis and recommending early walkoff with your luggage.

The only thing that you alone can decide: are you willing to take the chance of possible problem like the ship arriving late?

We booked a 9:50 flight that lays over in London for about 6 hrs then on to NY. I can't see any problem making it. You walk right off the ship at 630am, get a cab and are at the airport.

It is tight but on our recent cruise ( same itinerary on Spirit) I've never experienced such an efficient process on disembarkation day in Barcelona. I reckon using the walk off with your cases you'll do it easily . There were 100's of cabs and the journey was quick. The last morning is up and at em even if you don't have to be so no point hanging about!

Yes but you are flying inside EU. I've been to Barcelona 5x's on cruises. If he gets off at 7 gets a taxi & is at airport by 9 could be close. If everything goes perfect. Big if

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If they are off the ship at 7, he will be at the airport by 7.30, 8 at the very latest. Its 7 miles to the airport and it's Sunday morning.

Our last Barca cruise we were an hour from leaving cabin to being through security at El Prat airport.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just did cruise in Oct.2016 with 4 people. Most cruise line will ask for your flight info 2 days before you get off ship. They will have things ready. We took our luggage with us, so we got off fast. There's plenty of cabs. We booked transfer thru Viator. Always have. Cheap & very reliable. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Can't believe that some people are factoring in like 2 hours to get to the airport.

You could almost walk there in that amount of time.

Do express walk-off, grab a taxi and you would be at the airport possibly as early as 7. Never needed 3 hour check-in window at BCN, almost always flying to US.

Unless the ship is delayed, you will have no problem making a 10:40 flight. The problem most likely will be cooling your heels at the airport for 3 hours.

Thanks everyone! I also forgot to mention that we're platinum and will have priority disembarkation, so that might speed things up, too.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Priority makes little difference if you want to walk off. We got back from similar itinerary on March 22, had priority as in suite but just walked off at 8. Lots of people went earlier. Plenty of taxis and all bonaFide with meters. If you can take all your luggage you will be fine.

Unless the ship is delayed, you will have no problem making a 10:40 flight. The problem most likely will be cooling your heels at the airport for 3 hours.

Cooling our heels is not a problem, as hubby is United Gold, so we get access to the Star Alliance lounge on international flights for free. Benefit of having a hubby who travels a lot for work.

--Michael

Priority makes little difference if you want to walk off. We got back from similar itinerary on March 22, had priority as in suite but just walked off at 8. Lots of people went earlier. Plenty of taxis and all bonaFide with meters. If you can take all your luggage you will be fine.

Wasn't sure if it did or not; thanks for the info. We tend to not overpack, so taking our own bags off shouldn't be a problem.

--Michael