Email sent to Special Needs - Re: the new $7.95 room service fee

I sent the email below to Special Needs. We are currently booked for 2 upcoming cruises, one is in a Accessible Balcony, the other an accessible was not available so we booked a Junior Suite in order to get a wider door in order to accommodate a mobility scooter.

As per the email below, they are waiving the RS fee for me on both cruises.

Below is the email I sent to Special Needs, followed by their response.

Hi

Being disabled - I have some concerns about the new $7.95 room service charge. Although I plan to have a scooter for these 2 cruises, There are days and or evenings when I am simply not able to even get on the scooter and go out for a bite to eat. I can understand the charge for able bodied persons who are able to leave their rooms and get something to eat, however, I do not see it as being fair to those of us who because of our disability are not able to go out whenever we please.

Please consider waiving the fee for those in an accessible cabin, or those who have been flagged in your systems as being disabled.

Thank-you for your consideration.

Thank you for contacting the Access Department with your inquiry.

I am pleased to advise you advise you that you will not be charged the fee for room service and I have coded your reservations and the ship staff will be advised as well.

Once you arrive at the pier, we recommend speaking with one of our agents and they will be able to arrange boarding assistance. During peak times, there may be a wait for assistance.

We also recommend speaking with the Guest Services/Relations Desk who will assist you with accommodations for the departure at the end of your cruise.

Best Regards,

Tracy Cabrera

Senior Access Advocate

Good for you for being proactive, and doing something about your concerns! As someone who knows from first-hand experience how challenging it is for guests with mobility issues, I'm thrilled to hear RCCL was understanding and able to accommodate you. Enjoy your vacation(s)!

I sent the email below to Special Needs. We are currently booked for 2 upcoming cruises, one is in a Accessible Balcony, the other an accessible was not available so we booked a Junior Suite in order to get a wider door in order to accommodate a mobility scooter.

As per the email below, they are waiving the RS fee for me on both cruises.

Below is the email I sent to Special Needs, followed by their response.

Hi

Being disabled - I have some concerns about the new $7.95 room service charge. Although I plan to have a scooter for these 2 cruises, There are days and or evenings when I am simply not able to even get on the scooter and go out for a bite to eat. I can understand the charge for able bodied persons who are able to leave their rooms and get something to eat, however, I do not see it as being fair to those of us who because of our disability are not able to go out whenever we please.

Please consider waiving the fee for those in an accessible cabin, or those who have been flagged in your systems as being disabled.

Thank-you for your consideration.

Thank you for contacting the Access Department with your inquiry.

I am pleased to advise you advise you that you will not be charged the fee for room service and I have coded your reservations and the ship staff will be advised as well.

Once you arrive at the pier, we recommend speaking with one of our agents and they will be able to arrange boarding assistance. During peak times, there may be a wait for assistance.

We also recommend speaking with the Guest Services/Relations Desk who will assist you with accommodations for the departure at the end of your cruise.

Best Regards,

Tracy Cabrera

Senior Access Advocate

Thanks for the update...

I would suggest that you print out the email and reply just in case they do charge you.

Years ago I had an issue with our wedding cruise and it took me almost a year to get some of it resolved....had I had my contract printed out, they would have fixed it on the spot (so they say). I did print it out, I just left it on the printer at home....

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the update...

I would suggest that you print out the email and reply just in case they do charge you.

Years ago I had an issue with our wedding cruise and it took me almost a year to get some of it resolved....had I had my contract printed out, they would have fixed it on the spot (so they say). I did print it out, I just left it on the printer at home....

I agree, Print out all Correspondence. Royal has way of loosing important stuff like this. Maybe this will be a change to new policy room service charges for the Handicapped but I would bet you are the rare exception...

Thanks for the update...

Happy things seem to have worked out for you.

Excellent advice on printing and packing your proof. I print all correspondence with cruise lines and take the copies with me. I do not bring them back home, lol. I have needed my copies on more than one cruise as proof of status, purchase, what was incluced in package I purchased prior to cruise.

Happy cruises to you.

Glad to hear they are doing this for you. We have a handicapped daughter who gets tired easily and there are also days when she can't walk very far without being in pain. It's comforting to know we can stay in and order room service on those days with out being charged. :)

I guess it depends on who you speak to? I clled and wasadvised that although I am disabled and struggle in the mornings that the charge will not be waived.
There's some Internet meme I've seen bandied about, but my memory isn't good enough anymore to remember what it is. Regardless, the point is it suggest that when we don't get the best answer we think we can get, we should politely hang up, wait a few minutes, and call back, making the contact again with (hopefully) a different agent, still politely and firmly expressing how the change affects us given our disability, and that we expect to be made whole.

UPDATED: Hmmm... I still think there is something snappier out there, but here's pretty much that advice: Hang Up, Call Back (The Four Most Important Words in Travel, and Maybe Even Life)

I guess it depends on who you speak to?

I clled and wasadvised that although I am disabled and struggle in the mornings that the charge will not be waived.

Doesn't surprise me. Another example of RCI customer service inconsistency.

I guess it depends on who you speak to?

I clled and wasadvised that although I am disabled and struggle in the mornings that the charge will not be waived.

Call back and ask to speak with Tracy Cabrera. She's the one that sent the email out.

I personally think the new fee is incredibly ridiculous no matter who you are. I guess maybe it really is to make people think twice before ordering then passing out before it arrives. However I am very happy to hear that common sense prevails at least in this case. My husband has a very bad knee that has been operated on but needs to be replaced, However I can always go get food for him when his knee gives out. But in a case of being "cabin bound" for hours at a time until you feel well enough to move around again it is good to hear they will waive the fee!