Cabin Steward Left Envelope for His Tip

Rebels82

"As someone said a couple of pages back, some people are looking for an excuse to not tip. "I would have until I found he had left an envelope in my cabin. How Rude!".

"Funny just how many PAX can find petty excuses to stiff their cabin stewards. :D

If the poster did not remove or reduce the "autotip", then he/she is not stiffing the cabin steward.

If the poster did not remove or reduce the "autotip", then he/she is not stiffing the cabin steward.

That is true, but the tone of the original post implied he/she was put off over having a tip envelope left in his/her stateroom.

But, did you read all the subsequent comments? Amazing some of the reasons, rationale,

odd excuses, how PAX can find excuses not to tip. And, over something, to me, as trivial as an envelope placed in their cabin? Give me a break, please. :mad: Sorry, I just don't get it. That's just my opinion.

DW and I, in addition to leaving the "automatic gratuity" on, we always add an additional tip if we received exceptional service. Also, we acknowledge individuals in comment cards as well.

So for us, it's "no big deal" if envelope(s) are left in our stateroom, even if we don't ask for them. I'm old, and it saves me a trip to the PSD. :D

PAX always have a choice to add an additional tip or not. Or, to take the "auto gratuity" off.

Funny thing to share. On our very first cruise, DW and I, didn't know the purpose of the envelope(s), and thought they were for mailing letters, just like the envelopes provided in hotel rooms. Until, on the last night dinner in MDR, I noticed other PAX handing envelopes to their server and assistant sever. I finally figured it out it was for tips. So, I immediately went to the PSD to get tip envelopes, went back to our cabin, put some cash in the envelopes, and returned back to the MDR, gave our waiter and assistant envelopes in appreciation of their hard work, and excellent service. And, on debark day, we gave an envelope to the stateroom attendant. My bad, and lesson learned. :o

So, to each their own. Do what you want. ;)

"I cruise to eat healthy, and to have a slice of apple pie every day before I die."

I don't think it's normal for the steward to leave an envelope on the last day. If they do something special then midway through the cruise I'll tip him/her. Our last steward didn't do that great of job. I had to ask for things that should have automatically appeared in our cabin. We ask for room service only in the morning so it isn't like he was put out. Lately, we haven't tipped extra.

If people wish to leave an extra gratuity, then so be it. "Hopefully" your attendant did something over and above the already prepaid gratuities to merit it. However, if people can't see the level of service declining because of the prepaid gratuities, then your head is buried in the sand. The amount of the prepaid keeps going up and up and service levels keep declining. With that being said, there is no doubt these workers work LONG hours and have minimal days/hours off, but they are human and they know when they already have their "bird in the hand" they can back off the service levels, its basic human nature.... not everyone though. In the 9 or 10 cruises we have taken since the inception of prepaid grat's, they pale in comparison to the service levels of our first 4 or 5.....Not even close! The rooms get relatively cleaned, the towels get refreshed, the bed gets made and the floor more often than not gets vacuumed, but that's about it. Nothing extra, nothing over and above, nothing that makes you say "WOW". Hardly ever you we hear our name used by the workers, and no, it's not an ego thing, its just one of the small differences before prepaid and after prepaid. If you wish to give extra money, at least make somebody make you say "WOW" otherwise it will only get worse and we will continue to all go round and round on this subject. Truth be told, if the cruise lines would pay a fair wage this subject may not be an issue....however, I believe most of us know that won't happen. Our next cruise has grat's prepaid by the cruise line as part of the promotion, I can't wait to see the difference....I already know what to expect. I sure hope I am wrong, but I doubt it.

Edited by mrgoalie
Additional comment

I leave a couple of bucks daily and a piece of snack candy along with a note thanking the room steward for something, anything. Could be keeping my ice bucket full, a towel animal, or just doing a nice job if nothing else special jumps out at me. At the end of the cruise if they have been especially attentive, I'll leave a few dollars in an envelope. Of course, the auto tips stay in place and they know who has paid them and who has pulled them so he knows that money is for his pocket.

We have anytime dining so if I feel the service has been good, I may slip them a couple of bucks at the time of service. A few times, we have had anytime dining and been assigned to the same table and crew every night so at the end, I take care of them.

They appreciate an excellent rating on the exit survey just about as much as the extra dollars. That helps them get promotions, more time off, etc.

They appreciate an excellent rating on the exit survey just about as much as the extra dollars. That helps them get promotions, more time off, etc.

On out last cruise I showed the people that I wrote comments about what I wrote. Stewart, or in this case Maria, was grateful to see what we wrote. She said it is not very often they see what the customer writes and really appreciates seeing what she did right. I also had the grandkids write her a note so they understand the cabin steward is doing a job and not their slave. That it is respectful to say good morning and acknowledge her presence and to talk to her as acknowledgement that she is not invisible. She said she appreciated that as well as many just look right through her as if she does not exist. Now - before anyone says I'm not there to be friends - you acknowledge complete stranger in elevators (as an example) with a good morning.

On out last cruise I showed the people that I wrote comments about what I wrote. Stewart, or in this case Maria, was grateful to see what we wrote. She said it is not very often they see what the customer writes and really appreciates seeing what she did right. I also had the grandkids write her a note so they understand the cabin steward is doing a job and not their slave. That it is respectful to say good morning and acknowledge her presence and to talk to her as acknowledgement that she is not invisible. She said she appreciated that as well as many just look right through her as if she does not exist. Now - before anyone says I'm not there to be friends - you acknowledge complete stranger in elevators (as an example) with a good morning.

Or even a letter to head of hotel.

....... Now - before anyone says I'm not there to be friends - you acknowledge complete stranger in elevators (as an example) with a good morning.

I meet people in bars, bartender, people at ball games, customers, etc. None are my friends, however, I treat all with respect, and some I actually have some incredibly good conversations, my steward on many occasions has been one of them. Some can be very interesting.

We usually do that too in that we write the cards and usually give them to the crew members directly along with their envelope. So they can read it and then drop them in the box. I think they still say right on them to give to the crew member or drop them in the box.

It is important for everyone to know the difference between writing the cards and writing about a crew member in the survey after the cruise. The cards *might* get them employee of the month. Writing about them in the survey can affect their pay, their advancement and get them extra days/time off. The cards are nice to do but the survey is the one to do unless of course you do both. And of course nothing says "thank you" to them like even just a few extra $ on top of the auto gratuity.

AE_Collector

Edited by AE_Collector

However, if people can't see the level of service declining because of the prepaid gratuities, then your head is buried in the sand.

Proving that everyone sees things through different coloured glasses. We are getting towards 40 cruises now, only the first few were before auto gratuities. I haven't noticed any drop in service levels by crew members though I don't have a lot of cruises under the old scheme to compare to. I do know the service is pretty much always great in our opinion.

But of course many passengers including us are doing exactly what we should to help ensure the ongoing good service. That is, we treat the auto gratuities as a portion of the crews base wage because they deserve a decent wage and we choose to do our part rather than proclaim it is the cruise lines business and not our concern. Then we show appreciation for their extra hard work and their sacrifice being away from home and family on our behalf with just a few extra $ at the end of the cruise. No head in the sand here.

AE_Collector