Cell Phones at Sea

jamesnnb

I have a (new) cell phone and have confirmed that they have Wireless Maritime Services (WMS). My carrier charges 12 cents for outgoing texts and 0 for incoming ones. However, it is $15 per MB for data (which I won't be using and we have free minutes on the ship's computer anyway). But I want to be sure no data is accidently used. Do I just turn off Data on my device? Anything else I can do to assure no data? I want to use the cell phone mainly for texts and possibly for phone on the ship and in International ports -- and have International Roaming turned on.

The Princess website says: Every Princess ship is equipped with an advanced cellular communications network. This network allows you to send as well as receive voice calls, text messages and data services on your personal mobile device. Mobile device service is available for use when the ship is at sea, in international waters and in other areas where such use is permitted. All charges will be conveniently billed to you by your mobile device provider.

On my first cruise (12/2015) I paid for my cell phone carrier's (Verizon) "at sea" plan. It sucked! I wanted it for text messaging. Of the messages I tried sending only two of them appeared to send but they were never received at the other end. I only received a handful of the text messages sent to me. On my recent cruise (two weeks ago), I paid for 120 minutes of internet service through Princess. It's not the fastest connection but I found it to be far more reliable than Verizon's service. I was able to check my email, Facebook, and messages using the ships service and was also able to post a few pictures to my FB timeline. I got off the ship in Los Angeles with about 10 minutes left. When in Mexico I use Verizon's travel pass program that allows you to use your plan for $2.50/day.

You're often much better off using it in port and roaming. Most carriers have special deals for texts/calls only that sometimes varies from country to country and they can explain how how set up the phone for no data use. You can also use wi-fi for calls off the ship and whatever app for that which works on your phone.

taxatty: I'll probably only use in ports (Int'l Roaming) and use ship's computers for most everything. Just trying to understand it all and be SURE there is no data charge that I'm unaware of whether in port or on the ship.

Cruise Crazzy: That normally works for me, too. But for this cruise, for personal reasons, I have to try and be available as best I can.

Really only trying to be sure I cover all bases for Data Charges. Setting with the Billing People to have the account device disabled for data use and enabling International Roaming (so I can text and make phone call [if need be]). Any other safeguards? Lew: Is there a setting on the phone itself (Galaxy s4) to be extra sure no data charges?

Thanks, all.

Cruise-Crazzy: For some the cell phone isn't a problem that we need to escape from. I enjoy being able to use mine as I do while on my cruise. But if one is try to escape numerous calls and emails. . .heck yes, lock that baby away!

I also have a Galaxy S4. If you look in your manual or ask your carrier you'll find the menus where you set up roaming and turn off data access. I've done this on four trips with no problem. When you arrive in a new country, you'll get a "welcome" related text message.

On board you can log onto the ship website (i.e. caribbean.princess.com) using your browser and get a lot of information like the daily events, see your folio, find locations on the ship etc. It is all free and very useful. You can also log onto the Princess.com website and even book future cruises. I use my cell phone a lot while on the ship in airplane mode.

On board you can log onto the ship website (i.e. caribbean.princess.com) using your browser and get a lot of information like the daily events, see your folio, find locations on the ship etc. It is all free and very useful. You can also log onto the Princess.com website and even book future cruises. I use my cell phone a lot while on the ship in airplane mode.

On my I-phone, when you switch to airplane mode it also turns the wifi off, and wifi needs to be turned back on to use the ships website.

On my I-phone, when you switch to airplane mode it also turns the wifi off, and wifi needs to be turned back on to use the ships website.

Turn airplane mode on then go and turn wifi on. You won't be able to use the internet when connected to your ship's wifi unless your pay for it and specifically go to your minutes. The activity info is all accessible in airplane mode with wifi on. I love being able to have the schedule with me wherever I happen to be on the ship.