MIA airport check-in...still have to wait until boarding time at the port?

kevin_p

I'm arriving at MIA airport at 9am, but the earliest boarding time I could get is 1230pm. If I use the check-in counter at the airport to get my Sail and Sign card, will I still have to wait a few hours to get into the terminal at the Port of Miami?

If I still have to wait, could I drop off my luggage with the porters early and then take an Uber somewhere to kill a few hours? Any recommendations on what to do to pass the time?

The time you got is not boarding time, it is check in time. When we checked in a platinum, there were people having their docs checked prior to security who already had their cards, from the airport. I assume that after security, they went upstairs and got their zone number for boarding. Of course, I don't know that they were not also platinum, FTTF, or whatever. EM

when we went and got on the carnival bus at the airport, they didn't care what check in time you had. everyone on the bus was allowed to check in immediately (this was Galveston). I don't know if it was a fluke or if you get an exception if you are on the bus but I've heard others state the same thing

If you take a Carnival transfer you can check in anytime. If you check in at the airport and don't take a transfer, then you need to arrive at your scheduled time or later unless you have another exemption.

If you are on a ship that has your S&S cards in the mailboxes then you will not receive them at the airport so it doesn't really save you any time.

Not sure how it works if you check in at the airport but at the port they won't let you into the building until up to 15 minutes before your check in time. You could leave your bags with the porters since that is done outside. We had a 10:30 check in time. Entered the building about 10:15 to go through security and then after actually checking in we still had to wait about 30 minutes for our boarding # to be called. We boarded about 12pm.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I am curious as well.

I've never done the airport check in (we usually fly in the day before). But on the Vista in Feb, as soon as they started calling the zone numbers (after the platinum/diamond/FTTF), with each zone they also called 'airport check in's. This would lead me to believe that if you checked in at the airport you did not have to get a standard boarding number when you arrived at the pier and could board immediately (provided that general boarding had already started). We had a 11AM check in time and were at the port right at 11, and received boarding zone 10.

when we went and got on the carnival bus at the airport, they didn't care what check in time you had. everyone on the bus was allowed to check in immediately (this was Galveston). I don't know if it was a fluke or if you get an exception if you are on the bus but I've heard others state the same thing

Using Carnival transportation is one way around Staggered Check in.

Other ways are being D/P/FTTF or being in a wedding party.

OP- great question that isn't addressed. Staggered Check in is a way to alleviate crowding at port. I would assume (uh oh) that those checking in at MIA could go straight onto the terminal.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to follow up on my original question in case anyone else is wondering, using airport check-in allows you to bypass the staggered check-in time and go straight into the terminal through the priority line. For boarding, airport check in is called after Plat/Diamond/Suite, FTTF and special assistance guests, but before any of the numbered groups. We're on Glory now, and during embarkation, we arrived at the port at 1045, were through security in about 10 minutes, but they didn't start boarding anyone until about 1145. Airport check-in guests were allowed to board by noon.

Hope this helps!

just did it in march, at the miami airport, you can check in, at the carnival desk, when you reach the cruise terminal you go into a separate line as your documents are stamped airport check-in, then didn't care, or question about our check-in times, but your room may not be ready until 1pm

Its not a fluke. Its the most frustrating thing to happen when you buy a FTTF ticket tho ! 3 buses showed up right before us last cruise and they funneled the whole bunch into the priority line =( The lady at the door actually apologised for our awful luck and explained why the line was so long. She says they always do this.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Forums mobile app

just did it in march, at the miami airport, you can check in, at the carnival desk, when you reach the cruise terminal you go into a separate line as your documents are stamped airport check-in, then didn't care, or question about our check-in times, but your room may not be ready until 1pm

I will be flying to MIA April 22,17 and this will be the first time using the airport check in it may be quicker than using the VIP check in at the port. I'll see which way is faster.

Gary

The people on the bus didn't necessarily do airport check in. They took an airport transfer. Transfers are allowed to enter before their scheduled time. That is a perk for doing so. You don't need to do airport check in to take a transfer and you don't need to take a transfer to do airport check in. They are 2 unrelated things.

Its not a fluke. Its the most frustrating thing to happen when you buy a FTTF ticket tho ! 3 buses showed up right before us last cruise and they funneled the whole bunch into the priority line =( The lady at the door actually apologised for our awful luck and explained why the line was so long. She says they always do this.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Forums mobile app

Hi there

I don't think you should feel "frustrated". Just as your paid for the "FTTF" privileges that include priority boarding, those people paid for a different product that allows priority boarding as well. No difference, just the cruise line finding a way to justify the high price they charge for their transfer service while costing them nothing extra.

hope this helps

I will be flying to MIA April 22,17 and this will be the first time using the airport check in it may be quicker than using the VIP check in at the port. I'll see which way is faster.

Gary

Same here. I purchased transfers for the wife and I, since our flight arrives shortly before 1 p.m. I figure by the time we retrieve the luggage, do the airport check-in thing (where is this at by the way), we should be close to 2 p.m. to get the Carnival shuttle to the port.

Hoping that we can scoot right in and to our room, once we get there.

Same here. I purchased transfers for the wife and I, since our flight arrives shortly before 1 p.m. I figure by the time we retrieve the luggage, do the airport check-in thing (where is this at by the way), we should be close to 2 p.m. to get the Carnival shuttle to the port.

Hoping that we can scoot right in and to our room, once we get there.

There is one by Delta baggage claim and one by American Airlines baggage claim.