What is Your Favorite HAL Ship and Why?

doone

I am planning a 10-day family cruise to the Caribbean March 2019, we are hoping for the Koningsdam, however, if that ship is not doing the Caribbean that year, what would be your next ship to choose? The ages of the cruisers start at early 20's thru early 60's. We prefer an itinerary with Half Moon Cay as our last port, I appreciate your input.

My favorite ship is Nieuw A because to me it is the right balance between new and traditional HAL. The Koningsdam is too non-traditional for me with all its chrome/white/grey/black, modern art, and no decent promenade or library.

We loved the Koningsdam and are sailing on her again in a few days. Our next favourite would probably be the Nieuw Amsterdam. We really like the Tamarind restaurant and that is only on the newest ships.

We loved the Koningsdam and are sailing on her again in a few days. Our next favourite would probably be the Nieuw Amsterdam. We really like the Tamarind restaurant and that is only on the newest ships.

The Koningsdam is my first choice as it was christened on my moms birthday and she was a huge cruise person, we are honoring both my parents by hopefully🙏🙏🙏 sailing the Koningsdam with a family cruise.

Did you find the Koningsdam had more to do than the rest of the HAL fleet or about the same?

Loved the Noordam, like the Eurodam (still, as I last checked, had two real pools, and a library and crow's nest) don't like the dining room green and black décor but the layout of the ship is good. Like the Niew Amsterdam and eurodam for the Tamerind.

Recently did the Rotterdam and was not impressed. They did some weird thing to the aft pool, it's now a wading pool with loungers. have some kind of hut on top deck that looks awkward.

Missed the actual piano bar but I guess they are phasing that out, all the bars were open and noisy.

For me it's the Prinsendam. Not only does this ship look like the queen of the oceans it has the most interesting itineraries. Furthermore it easily sails thru rough seas and I especially like smaller ships. The Prinsendam is for me. :cool:

Marianne

That is always a good choice of questions aboard ship to strike up a conversation.

For me, I like the smaller ships for port intensive itineraries, and the larger ships for sea days.

Having just come from the Veendam, a S class surviving member and one of the more maligned ships in the fleet of late, she was actually very good! Service with fewer guests, we only had 1000 aboard, and rarely any waits or queues, was nice! However, others had issues with plumbing and of course Veendam doesn't have the new entertainment venues. It does have a big library, a big promenade deck, and a Crow's Nest that you can see nearly completely all the way around!

I loved our signature suite on the Oosterdam and the new updated Lincoln Center/Billboard/Theater.

I still love the R class ships with their third/middle staircase and the Rotterdam's more ornate interior trim.

Then there is the Prinsendam; Anyone who dares to say the Elegant Explorer is anything less than heavenly risks being tossed to the sharks on their next cruise! She is special, too.

I've yet to experience the K'dam.

I guess when it comes down to it, I like all the DAM ships!

Hope this thread will always be open next May.

At that time, I will have had the chance to experience the «brand new» Westerdam.

Major dry dock* in a couples of days.

In a word : Westerdam !

Holacanada from Quebec City

Aboard Westerdam in 30 days !

Question >

Anyone with a link to informations about this particular refurbishing* which will be held in Palermo ?

Zuiderdam, Westerdam, or Oosterdam. I've been on all three and love the corner afts (deck 7 is my preference) and the wonderful hydropool in the spa. I really don't care if they've had the upgrades or not.

We're on Amsterdam to Alaska this summer because of the itinerary, but I will miss my corner balcony and the hydropool.

Virtual certainty that either Koningsdam or Nieuw Statendam will be in the Caribbean in March of 2019. If they are doing 10 day itineraries and the last day is HMC is anybody's guess at this point. We just did a fantastic 10 day on the K-dam and HMC was our first port.

Koningsdam is my new favorite HAL ship. Next is Nieuw Amsterdam, Eurodam, and Noordam in that order. Guess I tend to like the newer ships.

Noordam has always been a comfortable ship for me. It just feels homey.

But I really prefer the Eurodam best of all ships. Better specialty restaurants, recently upgraded, cabanas.

Haven't been on the Kdam but looking forward to trying it out in September!

For DW and moi it is the Prinsendam (we have exactly 200 days on that vessel)! For those who know and love the Prinsendam....they will understand. For most others it is just something we cannot explain.

Hank

The Koningsdam is my first choice as it was christened on my moms birthday and she was a huge cruise person, we are honoring both my parents by hopefully🙏🙏🙏 sailing the Koningsdam with a family cruise.

Did you find the Koningsdam had more to do than the rest of the HAL fleet or about the same?

There was more choices for dining but other than that it was about the same as the other HAL ships I think.