September 11 on board

So we're from the UK and just realised that our first at sea day for our Caribbean cruise will be September 11. Should we expect any particular recognition of it to occur on board. We're sensitive to the fact that the majority of people on board will be from the US and are not sure what to expect.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I doubt there would be any formal recognition. However it wouldn't surprise me if there was casual discussion among those aboard. If you find yourself in the midst of Americans (or others) taking about and feel the need to do more than remain silent, I would recommend saying something like "I can't begin to understand what it must have been like for Americans that day." Acknowledging their pain, showing you care, without being intrusive and acting like you know more or have advice for anyone. (Taken from advice on what to say to grieving people. Not exactly the same. But suffices in this situation)

So we're from the UK and just realised that our first at sea day for our Caribbean cruise will be September 11. Should we expect any particular recognition of it to occur on board. We're sensitive to the fact that the majority of people on board will be from the US and are not sure what to expect.

No. But thank you for asking...

We got back to New York 2 days before 9/11, 2001. The following year, we were on another cruise out of New York during the first anniversary of 9/11. On the actual anniversary day, we were on a bus tour in a port in Canada. At the time of day that the plane hit the first tower, our tour guide had the bus driver stop the bus on the side of the road we had a moment of silence. I was really impressed by the gesture. I love Canada. We try to cruise there every year.

I was on a transatlantic cruise sept 11, 2011 and we were at sea and the captain had a moment of silence during his announcements for the 10th anniversary. That was the only time I saw anything and I have been on three cruises on sept 11. Being a New Yorker who worked in emergency medical services during that time, I took it as very meaningful but I would understand others who don't think much about it anymore. Thank you for asking, I appreciate it.

Mike

Former EMT

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Edited by Motorman23

I just realized for our upcoming LOS, we will be on Day 2 at sea on 9/11. DW and I will have our private moment of silence and will enjoy our cruise. I was in DC during 9/11 and saw the destruction at the Pentagon. The staff went right back to work in the Pentagon the day after. The terrorist cowards failed at terrorizing Americans.

On a barely related note, I was on Allure the day Osama was killed. News spread pretty quickly around the ship. Its the only time I've spent on a cruise watching the news. They had CBS, CNN, and Fox news up for about 36 hours. When we got back to port about 6 days later, it was the easiest trip through customs ever, They weren't even looking at declaration forms.

They may do something on big anniversaries. I was on Jewel on the 100th anniversary of the sinking of the Titanic.

memorial.jpg