Are "Freestyle" cruiging and being Gluten-Free compatible??

I've only done more traditional cruises (Disney, RCCL) where I was able to have the same service team each night and felt very comfortable being gluten-free.

I keep looking at NCL because let's face it...a subway ride to the port is tons cheaper than a flight. But the primary thing holding me back is this "freestyle" thing since I'm gluten-free. How do food allergy issues work when you're eating wherever and whenever and don't have a dedicated serving team for you?

Sorry for the typo in the title. Should be "Cruising". I can't find how to fix it.

Edited by WrittenOnYourHeart
typo in title - other boards editing can fix it

Interested in this question as well, since my sister is also gluten-free and would love to cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I can say I have had zero issues on Disney where you have the same service team for all dinners (barring the adult restaurant).

I was able to reserve a table at the same time on RCCL for My Time Dining and they gave me the same table and team every night. Again, no issues.

fathom I had no issues, but I was not comfortable with the being seated wherever with whoever and a different seating team every night. I never felt 100% confident that they truly got my order by my cabin number as they also had me tell them my order as well (which meant I had to remember it from the night before). It felt a lot closer to the whole "freestyle" thing which is why I'm very hesitant about trying NCL.

I require a gf diet and have had no issues whilst sailing withNCL. Like Disney they prefer for you to order the night before for the next day.

There is one server dedicated to special meal requests and they will be responsible for taking your orders and ensuring that you are being looked after. You just tell them your room number when you are seated and everyone else is ordering and your food will be fetched from a separate kitchen area.

You can order breakfast and lunch the night before as well. But it's something I never bothered with and was always accommodated when I arrived in the MDRs

Forgot to add that I. Never had to give them a time that I wished to dine for the following day. The purpose of advanced ordering is to make the kitchen aware of what they have to prepare the next day and that they have the ingredients to hand. So it does work with freestyle dining. You can eat when you want

Hope this helps

I require a gf diet and have had no issues whilst sailing withNCL. Like Disney they prefer for you to order the night before for the next day.

There is one server dedicated to special meal requests and they will be responsible for taking your orders and ensuring that you are being looked after. You just tell them your room number when you are seated and everyone else is ordering and your food will be fetched from a separate kitchen area.

You can order breakfast and lunch the night before as well. But it's something I never bothered with and was always accommodated when I arrived in the MDRs

Forgot to add that I. Never had to give them a time that I wished to dine for the following day. The purpose of advanced ordering is to make the kitchen aware of what they have to prepare the next day and that they have the ingredients to hand. So it does work with freestyle dining. You can eat when you want

Hope this helps

What about other than the main dining room? Can you eat in the specialty restaurants?

I was accommodated in all of the speciality restaurants that I ate in and I wasn't required to pre order what I wanted either.

You can even request gf bread and muffins at the buffet but sometimes they take a while to fetch them

What about other than the main dining room? Can you eat in the specialty restaurants?

While they weren't able to make anything special for dd (celiac), they were able to prepare dishes without certain sauces, seasonings, etc, and let her know what she couldn't eat. We ate at Le Bistro and Moderno (great gf cheesy bread), and she had plenty of choices.

Her third NCL cruise is in May, and she's really looking forward to ordering more adventurous things, now that she's 14 (was 7 and 10 on previous ones).

Just off Breakaway and no problem with gluten free meals. I am new to this diet, had breakfast in the pub most mornings and ate 6 of the 7 nights in specialty restaurants. I never ordered ahead. Only had issues two times. Italian restaurant waiter said he wasn't sure if he could get me gf pasta but did and the only time we had breakfast in one of the dining rooms. I think it was Taste but I think they just forgot about us and tried to use the gf as an excuse. Long story.

Totally!!!

I am not gluten free but I am dairy free (I understand dairy is a little easier to avoid). But I have always found it really easy to cruise with NCL, they have a gluten free bit in the buffets and the waiters/chefs are more than helpful. I find it much easier than dining on land!!

You can let them know about dietary requirements before you cruise. I've written about my experiences cruising with a food intolerance here: http://cruisingisntjustforoldpeople.co.uk/2016/12/19/cruising-with-a-food-intolerance/

I hope that helps! Please don't let it stop you from cruising!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We just came off the Epic and this was actually my favorite thing about NCL.

DW is allergic to anything olive, and with so much food cooked with olive oil it is always an issue.

If you want you can contact where you are eating the day ahead of time and they will take your order and have it set aside for you and then make it at the same time they are making the rest of your parties food. If you do not order ahead there may be a few things you can not have simply because of the ingredients being pre-prepared, but they will work with you as best they can.

Some places will give you a different color napkin to make certain all passing staff is aware that you have an allergy even if they are not your server.

I have to say that for allergies NCL is the best experience we have ever had.Even with the buffet staff were quick to assist DW with making certain her choices were olive free.

I had the UDP (which meant I ate in specialty restaurants every night of the cruise) on my first NCL cruise when I was GF. I was concerned about it, but there was no need. I contacted the access desk before the cruise and completed the form. When I boarded there was a note in my cabin giving me instructions to go to Guest Services and ask for the assistant maitre d. He talked to me about the different restaurants. I didn't have to order anything the day before and the waiters were all very knowledgeable about which menu items were GF. There was always a basked of GF bread on the table for me--and it was some of the best I've had! I didn't get sick AT ALL and it was such a relief! :D:D:D