Live from the Majestic Princess preview cruise

dides

Just left Trieste with Jan Schwartz doing a speech from the bridge over the tannoy, masses of crowds on the waterfront and a huge firework display (weird in the daylight). Signing off to discover more parts of the ship and find some dinner!

Sandra and Chris

It's weird to read Princess Patter in Chinese... I always find the translations to be slightly off. I'll chalk it up to the differences in phrasing/usages between PRC and Taiwan, much like the English in UK vs. US.

Spot the new home for the toilet roll holder...

20170331_122827_zps40oaprjs.jpg

When I first sailed the Royal I had been reading all of the hype about the toilet paper being so far away. I still don't know what anyone was talking about because in my 3 different staterooms it has never been an issue. If fact, as short as I am and my arms are, I didn't even have to straighten out my elbow to reach the roll. Now, this one appears to be a bit different, but still not undoable. It does look odd though.

Maureen

Hi Sandra ... Which deck are you on cabin wise regarding the standard cabin? we will be on 14 Aft on Tuesday.

I see Dirk brands name on the officers list, he was on the Ruby Princess on the two occasions we sailed on it in the first 12 months.

Hope you have decent weather on the way to Rome.

Thanks for your update and many photos. Gong Cha is a bubble tea chain that we have here in Toronto Canada. I've never been to it but it seems popular here, I'll have to check it out to see why Princess decided to use that chain on its ship. I like that they decor is different, even in the small ways shown so far from the Regal and Royal.

Thanks for the Live From thread. We love the photos. It's great to get some in room shots and details on the various venues on board. We're looking forward to boarding the Majestic Princess on May 7 for two weeks.

Can you provide some details on the Photo Gallery? Some photos of the ship look like Princess has switched from printing the pictures for display to having video display screens where you identify your pictures.

Please, if you run into Anthony Completo in the bar service, tell him Bill and Diana McVey from California say Hi, and wish his congratulations from us! Thanks. We met him on the Emerald cruise to New England and he was fabulous!!!:p Thanks.

Sandra and Chris,

Thanks so much for taking the time to post all this great info and pictures. I was surprised they kept the water fountains by the pool. It takes up so much prime real estate.

Looking forward to your future posts.

Sali

Our first evening:

We are in a Baja aft balcony on deck 11 - a few cabins along from the aft elevators. Our muster drill was in the Vista Gaming Lounge and seemed to take an age with a few troublesome guests who didn't understand the mandatory nature of it.

After sailaway, we headed along to the Piazza and bumped into the Cruise Director Dan Falconer who recognised our Brit accents. I had a nice chat with him about how he thought the ship was actually 99% complete and how he thought it will probably stay in China. I also mentioned we were doing a ‘live from’ on CC.

Next we stopped off at Alfredos and decided to eat there. Same menu as Regal apart from (insert ship name) pizza. We had pizza and a dessert and a fun chat with a lady member of staff. It was their first day of operation and the food was as good as ever.

We went to the sales desk in the gift shop to query about lanyards and was given some clear plastic holders to use with our old lanyards. Sorted. They had a fair number of inaugural items – usual clothing and small gifts. Didn't warm to any of the Majestic hoodies – Chris proved he had expensive tastes by preferring the Helly Hanson jacket which was $220. No chance.

We then walked further along deck 5 forward to hunt down the Sing on the Sea Karaoke suites. It's like a secret club where you use a password to get past the Lotus Spa guards – well almost. Once we walked through a number of doors we found a deserted set of rooms and one very bored looking Chinese lady staff member. We asked how to book and she said you had to do it online. But she offered to show us a suite and let us try it out! I tried looking for some Johnny Cash songs but they didn't have the ones I knew. After a few false starts browsing through the song catalogue using a touch screen table, I chose Rehab by Amy Winehouse. I only half knew it as I had sung one of the parts in my company choir – so it was half good and half awful. But fun. We couldn't find how to book it on the Princess app so asked a cruise staff member who said you book via the Passenger Services desk for a nominal fee. Nothing mentioned in the patter either.

Next we headed back to deck 7 and grabbed a drink from the Crown Bar. The only beer we have seen on tap is Heineken and the taps aren't working yet at this bar. Bottle was fine though. And I apparently ordered the first ever Pina Colada at the Crown Bar on Majestic. Won’t be the last. While we were ordering the Carnival CEO Arnold Donald walked past. We drank them while watching the Majority Rules Game show in a very empty Princess Live theatre. Good for a laugh though.

Our last task was to find the Wake View bar as the Horizon Terrace was a fave spot on the Regal and Royal. Same kind of bar setup with tables n chairs but no comfy armchairs and sofas to watch the wake from. Disappointing.

We ordered some bottled water from room service and lo, they have found the large bottles of San Pelligrino. We tipped in euros as wasn't sure which currency to use - the Chinese lady shyly accepted it.

It's 23:40 and no sign of tomorrow's patter. Night all!

Sandra and Chris