Live from the Majestic Princess preview cruise

dides

We arrived in Trieste after a long day travelling from London just before the Majestic Princess decided to park up across from our hotel balcony. What a thrill to watch her glide in with the sunset behind her and 4 blasts of the Love Boat theme. Quite a large crowd along the seafront and pier to welcome her.

Well we are back home, back at work and missing the Majestic madly!

Chris set up a tripod on the balcony and has just uploaded a couple of short videos from her arrival in Trieste:

-

-

Sandra and Chris

Well we are back home, back at work and missing the Majestic madly!

Chris set up a tripod on the balcony and has just uploaded a couple of short videos from her arrival in Trieste:

-

-

Sandra and Chris

thank you for this. i'm starting to get excited now!

Thanks Sandra for all your help during this cruise for the run up to ours . Hope you enjoyed your Easter break

Thanks Liz - we just got off the Britannia Easter 2 day cruise - our first P&O. So weird as based on the Royal class design too so echoes of the Majestic wherever we went. Their Live Lounge made much better use of the Vista space but their Atrium was dreary compared to the Piazza. Noticed the alcohol content of the drinks was certainly more than Princess lol. Will probably do Britannia again for short breaks and increasing our loyalty status as more accessible from the UK.

Tempted by the Majestic Australian season but it's a long way to fly.

Hope you are enjoying the Easter break.

We made it on board in 25 minutes - boarding seemed to start pretty early.

Early impressions -

Standard balcony cabins look much the same as the other Royal class ships except for power sockets - 2 US, 2 European, 1 Chinese and two USB.

Also the famous positioning of the toilet roll holder - this time it's on the wall near the door under the sink.

Lots of signage in English and the Chinese language. In fact, the Room Service menu leads in Chinese.

The main hallway carpets are a Chinese flower theme.

The Lobster and Dim Sum bar is open for business. However these are at a charge. $24 for a whole lobster, $18 for two other dishes containing lobster pieces (no visible menu as yet) and $6 for various dim sum dishes. Note they do retain some Trident Grill offerings - they mentioned bratwurst and fries.

The Chinese Noodle bar is also open - they were offering 3 different options today. Chicken Noodle, Pork Noodle and some kind of vegetable soup. All complimentary and cooked to order - they take your name but it was delivered to our table. We had the chicken and it was very good. Various soy sauces, chili sauce and condiments to select from and you get a napkin with two chopsticks and a spoon.

The World Fresh Marketplace had a quite a few International dishes but looked much the same as the Royal class Horizon Court. For once, we didn't eat there for lunch on boarding day.

No Crooners Bar of course but there is a Bar Piazza where it would have been. We stopped by for a cocktail. Also got to try a mango smoothie from the juice bar as these were being handed out in little sample glasses - it was yummy.

There is a joint Library and Internet Cafe - Library looked well stocked but there are only two internet terminals!! Guessing this is a Chinese cultural thing.

Vista Gaming Lounge much the same as Regal/Royal but there are mahjong gaming tables installed at the back.

Tried to get holes punched on our cruise cards but PSD said they won't do it anymore because of the electronics inside so need to get new lanyards with plastic pouches attached from the shop when it opens.

Our steward Armando knocked on the door and introduced himself - we aren't too demanding and he quickly delivered my only request - a sharps container.

Preview Cruise teething issues:

Cannot get a booking in Harmony or La Mer as yet - either IT teething troubles or first two nights prebooked by the corporates and media types. Not seen menus as yet.

There is a new set of cocktails at the beginning of the drinks menu which you cannot order because they haven't got all the ingredients!

No large bottles of San Pellegrino on board - and we are in Italy!!!!

We each tried a cone from Swirls and it was like custard - hope they fix it

Will get some pics posted next.....

Thank you for these notes. Hope the "teething issues" get resolved before we get on in Singapore....especially the ice cream (ha ha).

We are dancers and have been assured we will find places to dance because the Majestic doesn't have a Wheelhouse Bar, etc. What have you experienced? Do they have a piano bar(s)?

Smiles, Diane

Thank you for these notes. Hope the "teething issues" get resolved before we get on in Singapore....especially the ice cream (ha ha).

We are dancers and have been assured we will find places to dance because the Majestic doesn't have a Wheelhouse Bar, etc. What have you experienced? Do they have a piano bar(s)?

Smiles, Diane

Have you seen this thread?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2480969

We had a feeling the ice cream is dairy free on Majestic so it will never taste exactly the same as on the other Princess ships.

The Crown Bar is just the Wheelhouse Bar with a different name on the royal class ships and yes, was the piano bar. Not much room for dancing though. That seemed to happen in the Piazza where there was also live music.

We had a feeling the ice cream is dairy free on Majestic so it will never taste exactly the same as on the other Princess ships.

The Crown Bar is just the Wheelhouse Bar with a different name on the royal class ships and yes, was the piano bar. Not much room for dancing though. That seemed to happen in the Piazza where there was also live music.

At least there was still a piano bar.

(It's something I REALLY miss on Celebrity!!!)

The positive is that when Crooners was in the piazza there couldn't be dancing downstairs at the same time as the piano bar was live so now both venues could be live at the same time.

Hi Sandra ... Is Britannia worth a try ?

Hi Dave. well the layout is very familiar to Princess royal class, even down to the restaurant, sanctuary and spa locations. Rather beige and brown in colour. The cabins are nice with a great power shower. The Atrium is pleasant but not as wow as the Piazza. Lots and lots of bars - found the waiter service very attentive and live entertainment was excellent. Food caters to a British taste but was mostly pretty good. You have to pay small amounts for cafe food (unlike IC) and I haven't located a free afternoon tea as yet. We enjoyed the weekend so much we are doing another mini-cruise in September (these are often full of hen and stag parties but all good fun) especially as it counts towards our Princess loyalty status. Might be a bit warmer then to explore the sun decks. Princess would still be our first choice for longer cruises.

Edited by dides

Hi Sandra ... Is Britannia worth a try ?

We went on the Britannia too back in September. We enjoyed it and liked the ship however;

Atrium; loved it but they don't hold entertainment in it like the Piazza . Instead they have a band or singer in the Live Lounge which gets really full and we couldn't find a seat or anywhere to stand . Lovely Crows Nest bar though and lots more .

Glass shower screens too

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi,

This is the first time I use Cruise Critic and am not sure if this is where I would post to find other passengers who would like to cost share some of the shore excursions. Our cruise sets sale on May 14th from Barcelona and arrive Rome on May 21st on Majestic Princess.

We are thinking of going on the Gibraltar Tours (Extended Tour 2 Hrs. 30 Mins.) one. Is there anyone interested in joining?

http://www.rocktoursgibraltar.com/packages/extended-tour

Thanks.

Teresa

Hi,

This is the first time I use Cruise Critic and am not sure if this is where I would post to find other passengers who would like to cost share some of the shore excursions. Our cruise sets sale on May 14th from Barcelona and arrive Rome on May 21st on Majestic Princess.

We are thinking of going on the Gibraltar Tours (Extended Tour 2 Hrs. 30 Mins.) one. Is there anyone interested in joining?

http://www.rocktoursgibraltar.com/packages/extended-tour

Thanks.

Teresa

Welcome to Cruise Critic! Here is a link to the roll call for your cruise. That would be the best place to find others to join in on your excursion. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2370942

Sandra and Liz ... Thanks for the info, funny thing we saw a great itinerary for the Majestic for this Sunday and was very tempted but at such short notice Kerry could not get the time off work, at £699 pp inc flights and transfers again it would have been worth it even with the odd few things we did not like on the ship.

I was reading up about the guys in the Beatle Maniacs who are all from Canada, not sure if you knew, they guy who is P. Mac learned to play Left handed as he is naturally Right handed. On youtube there are some videos of him playing Right handed around 2014/15 and in one from last year on Regal he plays Left handed. really liked these guys.

Had a few pics yesterday from my friend at Fincantieri from inside our next ship MSC Seaside.

Sandra and Liz ... Thanks for the info, funny thing we saw a great itinerary for the Majestic for this Sunday and was very tempted but at such short notice Kerry could not get the time off work, at £699 pp inc flights and transfers again it would have been worth it even with the odd few things we did not like on the ship.

I was reading up about the guys in the Beatle Maniacs who are all from Canada ... really liked these guys.

Had a few pics yesterday from my friend at Fincantieri from inside our next ship MSC Seaside.

What a shame Dave, yes, if we could get time off we would jump at the chance of another Majestic cruise. She is truly a beautiful ship and, while we didn't like some aspects, you adjust. The staff were great and a cruise is a cruise.;)

The Beatle Maniacs sounded impressive, heard them in the Piazza on the final night while we were in Alfredos.

I'm sure MSC Seaside will be spectacular - guessing there is no preview cruise planned for this one?

Sandra

Sandra ... So far the only cruise prior to our December 23rd one is the T.A to Miami on December 1st from Trieste which they have had to change from Venice. If anything comes up will let you know. Originally there was no T.A planned so you never know.

Sandra ... Latest video of SeaSide, we are on the back 2 down from the top on Starboard side overlooking the pool.

Wow, she's SO big, those aeriel shots are amazing. How exciting!

I remember seeing that Monfalcone chimney from the train on the way into Trieste,

I was reading up about the guys in the Beatle Maniacs who are all from Canada, not sure if you knew, they guy who is P. Mac learned to play Left handed as he is naturally Right handed. On youtube there are some videos of him playing Right handed around 2014/15 and in one from last year on Regal he plays Left handed. really liked these guys.

Yes if only work wouldn't get in the way .

Yes I too was looking up the Beatle Maniacs on YouTube etc . They were very good .

I think we'd give MSC a try .

Sent from my iPhone using Forums