Getting Home from Funchal?

frequent traveler

yes, we get there on the 25th and the disembarkation time appears to be no later than 10:00 a.m. but I don't know the earliest time we can get off (without a close plane connection -- they usually have to throw me off the ship as I go for that last batch of Eggs Florentine at breakfast)

I've heard that riding the sled down to the harbor in Funchal is a "must" and with the connections to Lisbon, I'm thinking about flying back on the 26th.

Thanks for the info.:)

FT

I very much appreciate all the suggestions.

Yes, Carlylecat - It looks like best trip is that early morning connection to Lisbon, then to Newark on Continental, and assuming customs/immigration isn't a nightmare - on to the home airport directly. And if customs is a nightmare - there is always home via Detroit:eek:

Next question - any recommendation on a hotel?

Thanks

FT

I found my best price by just planning an overnight stay in Lisbon (if I do this trip I think I may also spend a day or two in Funchal). Check prices from FNC to Lisbon and then check your Lisbon to US price separately. I did that and it was about $400 cheaper for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Gave up and decided to use FF miles for first class -- hate flying across the pond in coach. Routes from Lisbon through CDG so who knows, maybe I'll get home with my luggage, but not counting on it.

Wonder if the difficulty of this return is why SD has included $200 spa credit?

Great that Sea Dream automatically sent me a revised itinerary showing the spa credit after the mass mailing went out.

Jim and Lois - isn't it about time you made an ocean crossing?

FT

Hi FT:

Have made a bunch of them on Cunard but never in SeaDream style. Your crossing reviews have gotten us talking about a SD crossing. We really love sea days better than the port a day carib. routine. As you know, totally relaxing and a complete disconnect from shoreside stuff.

Lois has won a week in an all inclusive in Puerto Aventuras, a place we liked from SD II last December. This is in March. We are in Arizona in Jan. so are thinking SD or Seabourn in May. Would love to sail with you guys again. Keep the great reviews coming. Helps pass the work a day blues.

J & L.

Jim --

Since we had to learn that the incompetent Sea Dream management had chartered the boat during our planned cruise on April 9 from a posting on Cruise Critic today -- we are done with Sea Dream.:mad:

Let me know if you guys go to Seabourn or somewhere else. While I loved the crew and most recent crossing on Sea Dream II, I won't be going back again.

FT

T:

Very sorry to hear of the rug being pulled out from under you. Seems a bit stupid of them to let CC be the messenger. Maybe the CC members are just sharper than SD management. Fully understand your pain and we also will try Seabourn before maybe attempting SD again. Time will tell. Charters obviously mean more than however many passengers were booked, do you know what the present passenger count on that cruise was? Let us know where you land cruise wise.

J & L.

J & L

Don't know what the passenger count was, but we had discussed the fact that about two weeks ago the fare had jumped up significantly. We thought it was probably due to bookings increasing. The cruise was still available on the Sea Dream's internet Site at 5:00 p.m. today.

This is the exact same thing that happend last year causing us to be booked on the cruise from he_ _

I have just received from Sea Dream management via e-mail a copy of a letter that is dated November 29, 2005. Of course it misspells our names and they did not get our address right -- so who knows where it will go.

What I find fascinating is that I was scheduled to stay on board to make the Atlantic crossing, guess that didn't matter either.

Oh well, we will keep you posted.

FT

Archived