Please help me decide on Sun Alaska Land tour.....Anchorage or Fairbanks?

luv2gonow

Hi,

I am looking at either the 12 day Denali by Rail Explorer Southbound tour from Fairbanks.

or

12 day Denali-Alyeska Explorer Southbound from Anchorage. Both depart 7/26/18.

Both tours do Tundra wilderness tours and Dog Mushing visit and have train rides .

Anchorage has train to Denali. Fairbanks has that and Denali to takneeta and Denali to Fairbanks.

Is the Northern Train part a MUST do???

My concern is even though we will see more of Alaska obviously leaving from Fairbanks.......

The Tundra Wilderness tour is after the train ride from Fairbanks to Denali.

And cruise day is Train to Takneeta And Bus to Anchorage.

So that is a LOT of sitting.

Has anyone done the long rail journey? Is it a smooth ride? Worth it?

Other tour seems more relaxing but sees less. Although relaxing one also has tram to top of Mt Alyeska and Alaska Wildlife Conservation Ctr. Longer Rail Fairbanks tour goes to Anchorage Zoo.

Thanks

Kerri

Edited by luv2gonow

Hi,

I am looking at either the 12 day Denali by Rail Explorer Southbound tour from Fairbanks.

or

12 day Denali-Alyeska Explorer Southbound from Anchorage. Both depart 7/26/18.

Both tours do Tundra wilderness tours and Dog Mushing visit and have train rides .

Anchorage has train to Denali. Fairbanks has that and Denali to takneeta and Denali to Fairbanks.

Is the Northern Train part a MUST do???

My concern is even though we will see more of Alaska obviously leaving from Fairbanks.......

The Tundra Wilderness tour is after the train ride from Fairbanks to Denali.

And cruise day is Train to Takneeta And Bus to Anchorage.

So that is a LOT of sitting.

Other tour seems more relaxing but sees less. Although relaxing one also has tram to top of Mt Alyeska and Alaska Wildlife Conservation Ctr. Longer Rail Fairbanks tour goes to Anchorage Zoo.

Thanks

Kerri

We've done the train ride from Fairbanks twice and would do it again. Yes, all that activity is a lot but beautiful. Talkeetna is a great town. First time in Talkeetna we went there there were only a few shops and no paved roads. Now Talkeetna is so built up as is Denali area from our first trip. When you get on ship you can rest.. We did end of Aug/Sept. Weather was below 25- 80.

We've done the train ride from Fairbanks twice and would do it again. Yes, all that activity is a lot but beautiful. Talkeetna is a great town. First time in Talkeetna we went there there were only a few shops and no paved roads. Now Talkeetna is so built up as is Denali area from our first trip. When you get on ship you can rest.. We did end of Aug/Sept. Weather was below 25- 80.

Thanks. So hard to decide. I think we will do the one from Fairbanks. My daughter who will be 16 I think will definitely do better with more optional excursion time.

So psyched! I will post a new thread with more questions after I book

Kerri

The Alaska RR operates one train a day between Fairbanks and Anchorage each way.

Leaves Anchorage or Fairbanks at 8 am and arrives at the other end of the line at 8 pm.

The trip covers 350+ miles of rail in 12 hours. There is a crew change at or near the

Continental divide. The trains slow down for any opportune viewing of the Mountain (Denali)

or wild life and other features such as the Hurricane Bridge. The on board narrator will

make the trip lively and entertaining.

If you can afford it ride the Double Height Gold Star class dome cars - these are the ones

closest to the front of the train car color is Blue & Gold - at the end of the train are private cars

contracted by Princess Cruises - Holland-America cruises and near the middle are the

Adventure cars used in conjunction with NCL land tour packages.

The dome cars have an outdoor vestibule for getting out into the fresh air - taking those photos.

These cars are handicap assist and have a restaurant in half of the lower level the other half is

the galley. If the train is full your car attendant will call you for a dinner time - meals are NOT

included in the Gold Star fare but are substantial and tasty otherwise you are free to search

out the coach class snack bar free to snack up at any time.

On the upper level there is a small wet bar - soft drinks and coffee tea are complimentary -

liquor with a price.

Have a four some the seating can be arranged to have 2 couples facing each other.

With Gold Star class accommodations you are free to roam the train seeing coach class cars

from the lower 48 (old Santa Fe half dome cars).

Have kids along arrive early at the Fairbanks depot to see a large model railroad display.

HOPE *"THE MOUNTAIN IS OUT"* FOR YOUR VIEWING !!!

30 % chance is the norm.

luvtogonow:

YES several times - Yes it is a SMOOTH RIDE ! Yes worth it ! And you won't get sea (train) sick !