Can someone please explain Voom for me??!!

Headed on the Allure in late May. Can someone explain how to buy Voom. There will be 4 of us, each with a phone and then we will probably have an ipad as well. Do each of us need to buy the 1 device package (in each individuals name), or can we buy the 5 device package say in my husbands name, but have him register all 5 devices? Its more expensive to buy the 1 device plan for each person.

Thanks for the help!!:)

Headed on the Allure in late May. Can someone explain how to buy Voom. There will be 4 of us, each with a phone and then we will probably have an ipad as well. Do each of us need to buy the 1 device package (in each individuals name), or can we buy the 5 device package say in my husbands name, but have him register all 5 devices? Its more expensive to buy the 1 device plan for each person.

Are all of you planning to have all devices logged in at the same time or are you just looking to be able to check email occasionally and can share a log in? My DH and I only buy a one device package which we share. We have two iphones and two kindles. We just have one device logged in at any given time.

What you buy is really up to you and how many simultaneous logins you need at any one time. Just buy that quantity, whether it is individual packages or one larger package. Just get what is cheapest to cover your needs.

The least expensive way is to buy one package for as many devices as you will need simultaneously. So you may be able to get buy with a 4-device package, if one person can switch between phone and ipad.

I still don't understand what Voom is. Is this a way to stay in touch with other people in our party while on board via text messages or is it just for sending and checking emails ?

Thank you for any help you can give me.

Kristine

I still don't understand what Voom is. Is this a way to stay in touch with other people in our party while on board via text messages or is it just for sending and checking emails ?

Thank you for any help you can give me.

Kristine

VOOM is Royal's name for their internet access package. What it's used for is up to you. Web browsing, email, texting, video streaming (sometimes), etc.

If You buy Voom before departure.

At your check in on port they give you your seapass card with a carton stick on it with the code to log in

Onboard, You take your device, open wifi

Choose Royal Wifi Guest

It search and a page on your browser will open

You can choose your language

And you choose I have a code

Inscribe the code (exemple 6sw6uu8 - it was our code for our stateroom, you not have to use capital letters)

They let you know how many days, hours, Minutes left and you can use internet, facebook, messenger...

You can share 1 internet service for multiple devices, just turn off the wifi on the old device and turn on on the new one. For 2 is perfect but for a family I suggest to buy more then one.

Edited by tomatecerise

Ah ha......I had no idea it worked that way which is why I love this board! Thanks much everyone, your help is much appreciated!!

Happy Cruising everyone!

Pam

Make sure you leave your phone in airplane mode. Or you will probably get charged for cellular phone charges.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We were on Serenade last December and I've got to say that Voom absolutely stank! Difficult to get logged in and VERY slow.

I discussed this with the customer service desk several times and one staff person showed me an easier way to log in but the system was still very slow, almost back to the days of dial up internet.

We were on Serenade last December and I've got to say that Voom absolutely stank! Difficult to get logged in and VERY slow.

I discussed this with the customer service desk several times and one staff person showed me an easier way to log in but the system was still very slow, almost back to the days of dial up internet.

We did a Transatlantic from Copenhagen to Boston last Fall and found the internet pretty good on the ship. It worked everywhere except when the satellite was out in the Arctic Circle. Was able to use Facetime and WIFI Calling to home pretty much the entire trip. We were in the middle of the ocean, so I didn't have high expectations, but overall was pleased. Still not even close to the speed you get on the newer ships like the Allure, Oasis, and Harmony.

I was thinking about getting this but if it is as slow as dial up I don't think so.

Does it just work while you are on the ship or can you connect while on Labadee??

Just on the ship.

I was thinking about getting this but if it is as slow as dial up I don't think so.

Two things you have to learn about Cruise Critic - people exaggerate and you have to put things into context.

Yes, potentially it could be dial up speed but very likely it is not - Surf is typically up to about .5Mps. That may sound slow but you only need about 1 Mps to watch a video feed (some Youtube videos work on Surf only). For most uses Surf is "good enough".

The context is this - internet via satellite has high latency (because of the physics of moving electrons that far)., you will not get anywhere near land based latency on any ship. Latency affects the speed "feel" while browsing - generally the higher the latency the slower it will feel. In most places on land you'd have latency well below 100 ms, the best ships have latency of 200 ms or higher and the ones without O3B are at least 600 ms.

Two things you have to learn about Cruise Critic - people exaggerate and you have to put things into context.

Yes, potentially it could be dial up speed but very likely it is not - Surf is typically up to about .5Mps. That may sound slow but you only need about 1 Mps to watch a video feed (some Youtube videos work on Surf only). For most uses Surf is "good enough".

The context is this - internet via satellite has high latency (because of the physics of moving electrons that far)., you will not get anywhere near land based latency on any ship. Latency affects the speed "feel" while browsing - generally the higher the latency the slower it will feel. In most places on land you'd have latency well below 100 ms, the best ships have latency of 200 ms or higher and the ones without O3B are at least 600 ms.

I will have to work remotely partial days while on Oasis (couldn't get the time off completely). I don't expect to VPN but is it enough to support a cloud application and IM like Skype? Any places on the ship better than others? We have an ocean balcony.

^ you should be OK (in terms of location and enough speed to get that kind of work done) as long as you don't try to work on the balcony.

Awesome, thanks. Are there better locations to setup shop for an hour or two with a coffee in hand?

Hello everyone!

Does one have to buy the voom package in order to text others on board the cruise line? Because I wasn't planning on using the internet. I only want to send text messages to others in my group.

Thanks 😊

If you are on Quantum class or Harmony, you don't have to buy VOOM, instead you can pay $8 per device and use the Royal IQ app. Any other ship would either require you to buy VOOM, or pay your cell company $0.50 for each message sent.