Curfew on Royal Caribbean of 17 year old teens

Hi, we want to go on a cruise next year and my son will be 17 years old. How strict is the 1:00am curfew on Royal ? We have always done all-inclusives and there are no curfews. I just feel like it is their vacation to and have a 1:00am curfew is a little harsh to go back to the cabin. I mean I totally understand if the teens are out of control but I don't want to spend thousands of dollars to have an unhappy teenager. I have been on Carnival twice but many years ago and I truly enjoyed it but wanted to try Royal Caribbean. I will be looking at Carnival because of this curfew rule. Please let me know your past experiences.

They are usually quite strict. He can stay out as long as he wants as long as you are with him. Perhaps you need to wait another year before cruising RCI. Don't know what Carnival's rules might be. One cruise with them was more than enough for me.

Our teens stayed up to watch a big boxing match one time- we gave permission as there was a large group watching. It did go either just past or close to 1. The staff instructed them to return directly to their cabin. SOOOOO.... Also not much going on on-board for that age group at that time.

"Ain't nothing good happens after midnight".... our motto here at the police department.:p

I agree with that. I think 1am is MORE than reasonable (and only reasonable for older teens - not for younger ones). When our daughter was 17, she was only allowed out after 1am on the night of prom (when they had a chaperoned overnight cruise on the lake). Now she's a teacher - and deals with jr. high kids where the parents have few rules/limits. Too many of the parents either just want the kids out of their hair or act more like their friends than parents. It's not pretty!

Oh don't get me started on parents who think their children can do no wrong.. We deal with it all the time. And of course this is not ALL children. Just those we have to interact with in the late night/early morning hours.

My daughter LOVED the Royal Caribbean kids club. She missed it SO MUCH when she turned 18 and was stuck with us. Yeah, agreed - she could stay out all night if she wanted - but in reality, where can an 18 year old go that isn't an alcohol fuelled den of iniquity?!?!

Actually - I would say it's the 18-21 group that are not catered for at all.

Just an FYI, Freehike posted compasses from his Jan. 29, 2017 Allure cruise that listed the curfew for ages 17 and under (not accompanied by an adult) as 2:00AM! :eek:

The 2:00AM curfew time is listed on the left side under Notices of the Evening Planner page 5. Personally, I think that is way too late and hope it is not fleet wide.

P.S. My grandsons, both who will be 17 for our May Allure cruise, will continue to have a curfew of midnight unless they are with me. As dwayneb said above, "Ain't nothing good ever happens after midnight".

~ Judy

Edited by FloridaPalms

We just sailed with 14 and 17 year olds a few weeks ago. We let the 17 year old stay out til 2 on the last night...but security sent them on their way when they found them sitting around. There's nothing to do at that hour anyway, but hang out. They're not allowed in anywhere that's open because it's after curfew. Hardly anyone still out at that hour anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just got off the Harmony with my 17 yo grandson. There's really nothing for kids that age to do at that time of night. They can't go to the bars..everything else is closed (except eating cardboard pizza at Sorrento's). 1:00 am is late enough......

Thanks for your responses. Teens just like to hang out sometimes and not go back to a small cabin. Don't forget the cabins are small. I totally understand setting a curfew just asking some questions because I know on other cruise lines, Disney included, there isn't a curfew. We all do what is best for our families.

The curfew enforcement its all depends in the ship and season... Finally I was able to bring my 17 teen boy to a cruise, the good and the bad, yes, I had him when I was a teen, so people though he was my young brother but rules are rules and at home we are very strict (My wife..lol) with the timing... I gave him freedom onboard and told him times I wanted to check him every now and then, so I select spot places onboard but the rule was every time that he was late, it was time we take him from his curfew, (never came late)...Breakfast and Dinner was mandatory with us... I think is about communication and I trusted him, hey I was a teen 17 years ago... I was surprise with the teen group because all of them behaved super good...

ELTG

IME security on RCI is really strict about this, as they should do. Teens really have no Business outside of their cabin at that time.

As security sometimes can´t be everywhere I´m always willing to help and call them if I see Teens hanging around. They are always quite grateful to get a call.

Can I have some feedback from parents that have taken their 17 years old and feedback of how they liked the cruise?

I have a soon to be 17 year old grandson we've raised since birth and who has cruised since he was 6, and a 17 year old grandson we started taking on cruises two years ago after his Dad died.

They both love it and can't wait until our cruise next month!!!

While there were very few organized teen activities that interested them, they enjoyed the socializing, the sports activities (especially basketball), the gym, the shows, the shore excursions, and the food. And to say they ate their cruise fare in just food alone would be an understatement! Boy can they eat!

~ Judy

I must be really strict. I will have my 16 and 17 year old with me on the Adventure this summer. The will be in the cabin with me and my mother no later than 10PM.

The teens do have scheduled activities, with RCCL staff, until 1am. Karaoke, sports court games, dances, etc. They don't even start until 8pm in the evenings.

I have taken my now 19 year old son on cruises since he was 12. Last year we even did his Senior Trip with 9 other high school friends and their families. The curfew is 2am as someone else posted and I agree there is really nothing to do that late. Most nights the boys just wanted to go to the hot tub and hang out till curfew. Some nights they were too tired to really stay up late from all of their activities. One night they did a sleepover in one of the cabins (we did give our cabin attendant an extra tip for dealing with that aftermath :D). I think your 17 year old will find that this curfew is appropriate and he won't feel as if he is missing anything! Also, I would suggest going on an Oasis Class ship if you can. In my opinion these are the best for teenagers.

If they are not with their parents or participating in a schedule teen club activity, they must be in their cabin after 2 am. It's one of the more consistently enforced policies. Those places they like to just hang out in are scheduled to be cleaned and maintained at that hour.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We just returned from Liberty of the Seas, my DD is 16. The curfew was listed on all Cruise Compass daily activities for 1:00 a.m. for 17 & under. She met a great group of other teens around her age and most stayed out until 1:00 every night. Security would regularly do a "sweep" around 12:45-on and let them know it was time to head to their staterooms. All are told to go in so it's not like they'll be "missing out" on anything. They were pretty exhausted towards the end of the cruise staying out that late every night.

Can I have some feedback from parents that have taken their 17 years old and feedback of how they liked the cruise?

Have taken my teenage kids on a number of cruises since they have been in that age bracket and it is probably their favorite vacation style. I don't even think they care about the ports or even most activities, but it is the friends they meet from around the world (and still keep in touch with to this day) that is the real appeal to them. It gives them an opportunity to truly interact with other kids and put their phones down if just for a few days. As for the curfews, I guess I'm in the minority who doesn't think the 2AM curfew is that big of a deal...most of the time they are just "hanging out" and talking, not getting into any real trouble.

Just my opinion though...

Rob

I've noticed that most of the cruises tend to die out quite a bit by 1 am, which is unfortunate for those of us who aren't night clubbers lol. When my now 22 year old was a teen we'd just have her meet up with us at 1 and if she wanted to hang out with friends I'd chaperone the group until 2-3 am sometimes. Then there was an adult present and security was ok with it.